Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 08:59 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calike View Post
Hi everyone,

I am new to city data but I wanted people's opinion on a plan that I have.

So last november I visited San Francisco for the first time and fell absolutely in love with the city and de facto became my number one city in the U.S. I loved the city and I became convinced that I needed to move there. It's just a perfect fit. The reasons that i love the city:

1) The great sunny weather year round
2) The fact that it's hilly and you have views from everywhere
3) The bay and the Pacific Ocean - the water is practically in the city
4) The urban feel of the city. People are walking around everywhere and lots of events and things going on
5) the historic feel of the city - yo do feel that a lot has happened in this place
6) lots of young and liberal people. Also people in general are nice and take things more slowly than on the East Coast
7) Great restaurants.
8) It's a very gay place and I am gay
9) tons of opportunity due to the tech boom
10) the places that are only a few hours drive: Napa, the Coast, Yosemite. I love natural settings and these places are amazing
11) I noticed that tons of people have dogs and there were a lot of yoga studios - dogs and yoga are both things that I love.

In short I love the city. I am currently living in Atlanta and don't get me wrong I like living in Atlanta but I have a few issues with it. First there is no urban center, everything is sprawled. Second there is no water or ocean nearby and I love sports in the ocean (surfing and kitesurfing). Third I have had trouble meeting gay guys even though there are a lot of gay people in Atlanta. Fourth even though there are opportunities in Atlanta (I currently work in operations research and optimization) I feel that the best tech companies are in the Bay Area. Yet nonetheless Atlanta has some nice things mainly that it's cheap compared to other metro areas.

Yet I also understand that there are issues with living in San Francisco:
1) It's become prohibitively expensive, rents are higher than in NYC which is insane
2) Having a car is also very difficult but public transport is not the best either

I think that the money issue can be solved. I am planning to go back to school regardless of where I live to get a masters degree in analytics and I know that data analysts/scientists are in high demand in the Bay Area. Ideally I would like to go to school in the San Francisco that way I can get to meet new people as a student and most probably get a job in the area.

You can see that I have thought a lot about it but I guess my question is, what are the negatives of living in San Francisco other than the high cost of living? And also does my plan make sense to you? Can you see any gaps in my reasoning?

I would appreciate any input. Thanks!
The positives you listed about San Francisco are pretty accurate besides the weather. You came during our "summer" so your impression of SF being sunny year-round isn't quite accurate. It's often covered in a layer of fog, which looks like being inside a dense cloud. The surrounding cities are mostly sunny year-round though, but not San Francisco. November is also one of the warmest months, so don't think the weather is year-round like in November.

As far as the negatives you listed, you missed some of the big ones for me. What I really hate is the amount of poverty, trash, homeless, crackheads, and crime that's in the city. Once the novelty wears out, you might find yourself asking why am I living in a tiny old apartment with all these people so I can be harassed by homeless crackheads and have to dodge human **** and fecal matter. That's kind of where I am at now, the novelty has worn out. The festivals are the same thing every year. I'm just a bit bored with the city. It's actually quite small, I heard a lot of people from the NE say this when I first moved, but I saw it as a large city. However, now I understand what they meant. I have many friends who were victims of crime from car break-ins, snatch and grab theft, armed robbery and even one of them got stabbed in the back when he was using his phone. I've lived in 8 different cities in my life and 2 countries and nowhere did I know so many people who became victims of crime as here. I really don't like the weather. Most of the year you have to deal with bone chilling winds, you can never leave the house with some form of jacket besides maybe 1-2.5 months out of the year. Stores close quite early. State income tax is very high. Bars close early. You can never use the ocean because it's too cold.

So, with all that being said... you only live once, so I would encourage you to make the move as long as you can afford it and can move back if things don't work out. I had a great time living here and will look back at it positively. However, the novelty as I mentioned before has worn out and I'll be moving out early next year. I'm in Bangkok right now and having a great time. I'm considering moving here for a year just for the experience. One of my buddies moved from SF to Bangkok a few years ago and loves it. He was just going to come for 1-3 years, but now says he plans to live there forever. My point once again is you only live once, so make the most out of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 10:53 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calike View Post
It's just a perfect fit. The reasons that i love the city:

Hahaha!... boy are you in for a rude surprise.

Old 06-14-2015, 11:27 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,814,751 times
"1) The great sunny weather year round" Not in the western neighborhoods of SF. I often find myself needing to turn the heater, during the summer, in my apt in the Richmond Dist (west of 25th Ave) Same type of weather in the rather large Sunset Dist neighborhood & some other areas of SF. Day after day of cool overcast weather.
Mission Dist & Potrero Hill area likely have the most sunny days

Old 06-15-2015, 06:17 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Hahaha!... boy are you in for a rude surprise.
ROFL, yep!

Old 06-15-2015, 12:31 PM

569 posts, read 780,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I think it's weird when people post a book sized list of reasons they want to move somewhere and why they want to move away from somewhere. You don't need to justify anything, seriously don't care if you're gay or like hills, there isn't a test, just ask the questions you need to ask. It this case, I'm not sure I even see a question.

It all comes down to money and what you can afford and if you can get into whatever school/program you want to get into then make enough to live on. That's it. Try it and find out.
I disagree. Sure the money part is hugely important, but laying out the reasons why he's considering a move is really helpful. Often there are misconceptions people have about an area and people here can help set the record straight. Already, people have commented about the OP's impression that the weather is warm and sunny year-round. Another posted recently said she's a smoker and people (rightly) told her that many people here will have a problem with that.

OP,
Your reasons for considering a move are sound. The fact that your parents will support you while you're in school gives you a "free" shot at living here and deciding for yourself whether the area is right for you. My only advice would be to work on lining up housing before you arrive, maybe visiting again to see places and meet potential roommates.

Note: One person talked about the homeless problem. Having spent time in Atlanta, I think that's something you're probably already used to dealing with.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Old 06-18-2015, 05:50 AM

2,560 posts, read 2,301,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
The positives you listed about San Francisco are pretty accurate besides the weather. You came during our "summer" so your impression of SF being sunny year-round isn't quite accurate. It's often covered in a layer of fog, which looks like being inside a dense cloud. The surrounding cities are mostly sunny year-round though, but not San Francisco. November is also one of the warmest months, so don't think the weather is year-round like in November.

As far as the negatives you listed, you missed some of the big ones for me. What I really hate is the amount of poverty, trash, homeless, crackheads, and crime that's in the city. Once the novelty wears out, you might find yourself asking why am I living in a tiny old apartment with all these people so I can be harassed by homeless crackheads and have to dodge human **** and fecal matter. That's kind of where I am at now, the novelty has worn out. The festivals are the same thing every year. I'm just a bit bored with the city. It's actually quite small, I heard a lot of people from the NE say this when I first moved, but I saw it as a large city. However, now I understand what they meant. I have many friends who were victims of crime from car break-ins, snatch and grab theft, armed robbery and even one of them got stabbed in the back when he was using his phone. I've lived in 8 different cities in my life and 2 countries and nowhere did I know so many people who became victims of crime as here. I really don't like the weather. Most of the year you have to deal with bone chilling winds, you can never leave the house with some form of jacket besides maybe 1-2.5 months out of the year. Stores close quite early. State income tax is very high. Bars close early. You can never use the ocean because it's too cold.

So, with all that being said... you only live once, so I would encourage you to make the move as long as you can afford it and can move back if things don't work out. I had a great time living here and will look back at it positively. However, the novelty as I mentioned before has worn out and I'll be moving out early next year. I'm in Bangkok right now and having a great time. I'm considering moving here for a year just for the experience. One of my buddies moved from SF to Bangkok a few years ago and loves it. He was just going to come for 1-3 years, but now says he plans to live there forever. My point once again is you only live once, so make the most out of it.
BKK is ok when you are young. I wouldn't allow myself to forego laying a financial foundation somewhere else first...rather than getting stuck there , like some expats do.

Old 06-18-2015, 12:12 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
You're getting some great advice re: school & career choices, here, OP. Probably your best bet while in school is to get a room in a shared place (see Craigslist). Also keep in mind that rents in Berkeley are cheaper, and the weather is sunnier, yet cool, due to evening/early morning fog. SF is just a trainride away, if you live in the East Bay. Just thought I'd mention that. And fwiw, most of the reasons on your list for loving SF are my reasons, too. The hills--the views, the ocean, the sparkling Bay! It's always been my fave city. It's a little the worse for wear these days, compared to the era before major homelessness, but it's still magical in some ways. So, welcome, and have fun!

Old 06-19-2015, 10:51 PM

1,374 posts, read 2,435,554 times
Looks like Chuck5000 works for Quora or own some shares of it, every single post from him is directing to Quora.
He seem so desperate.
I have to LAUGH OUT LOUD.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:13 AM

68 posts, read 94,861 times
There aren't any gaps in your reasoning, but you do need to be clear on a few things:

The weather is not sunny year round. Depending on where you live, it can be very foggy and overcast for weeks at a time.

2) The fact that it's hilly and you have views from everywhere
The hills are nice, but to live on a hill, you must have a lot of money.

3) The bay and the Pacific Ocean - the water is practically in the city
This is true, the ocean is freezing cold though, so bring a wetsuit.

4) The urban feel of the city. People are walking around everywhere and lots of events and things going on
Other than the main downtown area of the city, most people don't walk. This is still very much a car city despite the insane costs associated with owning a car here.

5) the historic feel of the city - yo do feel that a lot has happened in this place
Very true.

6) lots of young and liberal people. Also people in general are nice and take things more slowly than on the East Coast
Some people are taking things slowly, the tech industry is not though. I'd say it is similar to some of the high profile industries in NY.

7) Great restaurants.
Yes, but you can find great restaurants everywhere.

8) It's a very gay place and I am gay
True

9) tons of opportunity due to the tech boom
True

10) the places that are only a few hours drive: Napa, the Coast, Yosemite. I love natural settings and these places are amazing
True, you need a car for this though. That means spending a ton on parking or living further out in the foggier parts of the city.

11) I noticed that tons of people have dogs and there were a lot of yoga studios - dogs and yoga are both things that I love.
True

Old 06-23-2015, 10:46 AM

569 posts, read 780,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SForMNLee View Post
Other than the main downtown area of the city, most people don't walk. This is still very much a car city despite the insane costs associated with owning a car here.
I'll have to disagree with this response. Of all the cities in California, my impression is that S.F. is by far the most walkable and has by far the least dependency on cars to get around. People walk and use alternate forms of transportation to get around the city. Many people don't even have cars and use car-sharing programs for things like weekend get-aways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland