Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 06:22 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,767,316 times

Advertisements

In Oakland and San Francisco I've seen signs at some some retailers and restaurants that say "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone!"

Uh, isn't this illegal? It surely doesn't mean that they can refuse service to someone who is black or Hispanic or in a wheelchair or gay. But that's what it sounds like. Fairly off-putting to see these signs in a region that prides itself on its tolerance and liberalism.

Or is it just to keep out crazy, bad-smelling, homeless guys? If that's the case, wouldn't it be better to put up a sign that says "Appropriate Attire and Behavior Required" or something similar? Lots of places do have dress codes and having one isn't against the law.

Are these signs typical, and if so how long have they been around? Has anybody ever complained about them? Inquiring minds want to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 06:45 PM

335 posts, read 376,558 times
As long as you have money they will serve anyone here in Kalifornia, no money then no service.

Old 06-16-2015, 07:27 PM

722 posts, read 1,328,340 times
those signs have been around for decades, at least 30 - 40 years

they are there to keep people out that have poor behavior, foul language, improper attire, no shoes, no shirt, etc, unclean, foul smelling, etc.

I was walking by a Chinese take out / diner in the Tenderloin and a crazy homeless man was inside and he flipped all the tables over and the garbage can and made a big mess inside and refused to leave, then a couple SFPD showed up very shortly after

business's / restaurants have the right to not serve you if your unfit to be served

lots of restaurants put an "out of order" sign on the rest room to keep the bums out and another sign that says "rest room for customers only"

there is a deli I go by regularly and the owner doesnt let homeless people / bums inside, but I have seen him taking money and giving them some food, but he hands it to them through a window so they cant come inside.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:55 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
This is actually a good question - as far as is this legal. I'm not aware of any laws that required a private business to do business with anyone they don't want to.

There are laws regarding discrimination in employment and housing, but I am not aware of any other discrimination laws regarding any other businesses and customers.

And yes, I've seen those signs forever.

Old 06-16-2015, 09:24 PM

629 posts, read 619,642 times
It is not illegal to refuse service. As a business owner there have been times that I've sent people on their way. Mostly related to bad behavior on their part, but the OP saying that I would have to tolerate their bull**** and treating my staff like **** is laughable. Sorry, but I do indeed have the right to refuse service. Even in communist California, I still have rights of my own. For the time being anyway.

If you're civil and treat us with respect, you can have my services. If you're an *******, someone else can have you. Just because you have money doesn't mean that I will accept it.

Old 06-16-2015, 09:30 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,329,578 times
No shoes, no shirts, no dice Spiccoli!!

Old 06-16-2015, 10:50 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,248,248 times
You don't get out much do you? I've seen these signs since the dawn of time.

Old 06-16-2015, 11:51 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,767,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
I get out a lot. But it's mainly in NYC where I've NEVER seen any such sign and can't imagine anyone ever putting one up. And God knows we have our share of psychotic homeless crazies. I don't think New Yorkers would stand for it. Businesses just throw out miscreants who misbehave or are smelly and ill-dressed and obvious bums. OTOH it may be some local law that prevents such signs. (That, combined with our typical bad-ass in-your-face attitude).

But yes, we do have "restrooms for customers only" signs at many bars and restaurants.

Old 06-17-2015, 03:01 AM

24,397 posts, read 26,946,756 times
Those signs are usually in businesses that deal with less desirables on a daily basis, crazies, homeless, etc.

Old 06-17-2015, 07:56 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,566 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
They are common in Oregon and Washington too, and not limited to seedy areas. My business served mainly other businesses, and I had one up in Bellevue, WA. The sign's message was invoked more than once, when someone tried to argue the price and I told them to walk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland