Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 11:36 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,452,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBob View Post
I'm in Oakland, Montclair. I'm certain no one is targeting me. The last three burglaries, absolutely nothing was taken. I have nothing, aside from this cheap laptop that leaves when I do. The house is, I suppose, attractive in the sense that it isn't right on top of another, so the alarm might not be immediately heard. Walking around, I feel absolutely safe. It's just property crime.

ServoMiff, I need to hang onto my job until January 2019 because of this thing old geezers like me get: pension (and lifetime health care). And yes, I've been blessed with a good life.
Montclair, as in 94611? I didn't expect that from you, as I think of Montclair as a safe area.

Montclair is supposed to be a very nice neighborhood in Oakland. I know a couple with a young daughter who live in 94611, but in Glen Highlands. I haven't heard of them having any problems, but as you said, your home is perhaps a bit secluded and theirs is not.

You mentioned you wanted some diversity. Are you not happy with the amount or type of diversity in Montclair? Looking at the "races in Montclair in Oakland, Ca," I would find it to be really ideal with regards to diversity (some, but not so much I would feel at all out of place), unless you are black or Hispanic and want more blacks and Hispanics.

I really hope that your situation is temporary. If your place were not secluded, I would say "Hey, rent it to me".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 11:50 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Montclair is nice... part of the woodsy feel also can make it easy to be a target... especially if all the neighbors have careers and keep to themselves.

I've attended several Town Halls with our Police Chief... he is focused... just don't see it getting better soon... most break in victims are told to go online and file a police report...

That said... my little Oakland street had a neighborhood meeting about area break ins... and that night we passed a hat and 12 of 13 neighbors... neighbor 13 is 99 years old... put in $100 ea and we set up a neighborhood security camera systems... some stealth and others on poles... no way to drive in or out without being filmed...

Sign of the times I guess... but with good neighbors.... half the battle is already won.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:38 AM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
That said... my little Oakland street had a neighborhood meeting about area break ins... and that night we passed a hat and 12 of 13 neighbors... neighbor 13 is 99 years old... put in $100 ea and we set up a neighborhood security camera systems... some stealth and others on poles... no way to drive in or out without being filmed...
^ THAT is how you take back your neighborhood, excellent idea

Old 06-30-2015, 09:45 AM

168 posts, read 165,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Montclair, as in 94611? I didn't expect that from you, as I think of Montclair as a safe area.

You mentioned you wanted some diversity. Are you not happy with the amount or type of diversity in Montclair? Looking at the "races in Montclair in Oakland, Ca," I would find it to be really ideal with regards to diversity (some, but not so much I would feel at all out of place), unless you are black or Hispanic and want more blacks and Hispanics.
Your demographic profile on Montclair is interesting. And accurate, I'm sure. I'm personally a small part of that pie chart, as are both of my neighbors. My high school is far into the flatlands. But for me, Montclair is an address, chosen for the hiking, peace and safety that I desired, in a time when it was affordable, many converted cabins (as I say going back more than 50 years). The Village isn't enough to sustain life, so I don't go there. I haven't eaten a meal there in a decade. The past ten meals out have all been in more interesting places: probably four on East 14th between the Lake and San Leandro border, one in Dimond; Eritrean on Telegraph; another place near Eastmont. If I move to San Ramon, those places aren't a ten minute drive.

Old 06-30-2015, 01:25 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,038,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
^ THAT is how you take back your neighborhood, excellent idea
It is great that the community is taking steps to get their neighborhood back...but on the other hand it goes to show how incompetent the Oakland city government is. The city just never can seem to deal with the crime problems that plague the city. Oakland residents who live in nice areas of town pay a lot of money to live there and STILL have to deal with somewhat significant crime. There are lots of great neighborhoods in the Oakland Hills and I still wouldn't live there. The fact is, most other upscale neighborhoods in the Bay Area don't have to deal with these sorts of quality of life issues. Piedmont is completely surrounded by Oakland and yet it has almost no real crime to speak of.

I guess the cameras are a start but the reality is many hardened criminals in Oakland probably aren't going to be deterred. Crimes get caught on video all the time. It may help the police identify the criminals eventually but often times it doesn't prevent the crime in the first place. I know some neighborhoods in Oakland have hired private security companies to patrol their streets. That's probably a better solution, although more expensive. Once again though, it's crazy that Oakland residents who are paying a lot of money to live in nice neighborhoods are still subject to the acts of many of the scumbags living down the hill. It's not like these are private homeowners associations. These are neighborhoods that are fully served by city services...or unserved.

Old 06-30-2015, 04:01 PM

We also get e-mail alerts from our Beat Officer... a few weeks back they sent out an emergency alert with a picture of a car and driver that had just broken into a home in Grass Valley neighborhood of Oakland and they caught the guys... he was parked in the driveway of another home...

I'm 4th generation Oakland and both Mom and my brother had their cars stolen in Castro Valley and my truck has been broken into twice in San Leandro... once at Orchard Supply and once at Home Depot... both time in broad daylight... so far nothing in Oakland... although, on the way to work last year I noticed a front door open and a strange car in the driveway not too far from where I live... don't know the residents other than from driving by... my stopping and calling the police foiled a burglary in progress... they got away... but not with much...

Old 06-30-2015, 06:40 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Is it possible that you are being specifically targeted?

Someone else asked where you live. Would you mind telling us the city? Should we cross it off our list? Is it Oakland, Berkeley, Newark?

My husband and I are in an area of the East Bay that used to have some burglaries; however, it's now very safe, or surely seems to be.

A lot of comments I read on these forums are based on what a city or town was like many years ago. Some that used to be safer are now less so, and vice-versa.

With regards to the Sonoma & Santa Rosa areas, my husband and I have extensive experience looking at the Santa Rosa area (including Oakmont) and I can say with certainty that the Bay Area, East Bay and otherwise, are generally preferable to us, with the single exception being that nice housing costs less there than here. (Due to prices, we haven't checked into Sonoma much, but I think it may be safer than many areas in Santa Rosa.)

I don't think I would feel safe in most parts of Santa Rosa.
One wonders. Because Montclair is supposed to be safe. Have you spoken with your neighbors, OP? Have they had similar problems with similar frequency (or at all)? Is there a neighborhood watch group there?

Old 06-30-2015, 11:54 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,452,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
We also get e-mail alerts from our Beat Officer... a few weeks back they sent out an emergency alert with a picture of a car and driver that had just broken into a home in Grass Valley neighborhood of Oakland and they caught the guys... he was parked in the driveway of another home...

I'm 4th generation Oakland and both Mom and my brother had their cars stolen in Castro Valley and my truck has been broken into twice in San Leandro... once at Orchard Supply and once at Home Depot... both time in broad daylight... so far nothing in Oakland... although, on the way to work last year I noticed a front door open and a strange car in the driveway not too far from where I live... don't know the residents other than from driving by... my stopping and calling the police foiled a burglary in progress... they got away... but not with much...
We had the trunk of a car we used to own broken into....in Oakland.

Old 07-01-2015, 12:41 AM

I guess I've just been lucky so far and that is ok with me...

At this point in my life... I have nothing to sell or prove... I've always had the strange looks and comments when asked where I live... East Oakland... 4th generation.

Of course the city has plenty of crime and I am disappointed the police response isn't what is use to be... I also know people that have been killed... and you almost knew they were heading for trouble... just the company they keep and staying out all night and sleeping to noon...

On the other hand... I have always had great neighbors... both growing up and in the neighborhoods where I live and lived.

We get together... exchange house keys... let others know when we will be away or expecting company... the neighborhoods are all very mixed and you know what... we are neighbors first and this is how we like it...

Oakland has many positives... unfortunately, it is also the dumping ground for surrounding communities... did you know many released from jail are given bus tickets to Oakland... that I have caught people illegal dumping several times and the perpetrators were apprehended and were not from Oakland... even had people I worked with proudly say they got rid of an old clunker by parking it on 98th and Edes...

If you are afraid of your neighbors... it's time to pack up and move... if you don't know your neighbors... you are part of the problem...

I've lived all over East Oakland... bought my first home and paid for it in full for just about the same as some of my friends were putting down for down payments over the hill in Dublin/Pleasanton/San Ramon.

I learned a lot and met a lot of nice people that were only too happy to see the new kid on the block take the worst home and make something of it... 92nd Ave, 65th Ave, Havenscourt, Brookdale... etc... bought what I could afford, improved it while living their and moved onto the next project.

Montclair is a very desirable area... part of it's charm also makes it somewhat vulnerable... two career families... no one home all day... homes that can be secluded on downslopes so that no one can see someone breaking in...

Old 07-01-2015, 09:21 AM

168 posts, read 165,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
One wonders. Because Montclair is supposed to be safe. Have you spoken with your neighbors, OP? Have they had similar problems with similar frequency (or at all)? Is there a neighborhood watch group there?
It's certainly a neighborhood problem. We have a neighborhood group that meets for CORE Training, Nights Out, and social stuff, once in a while. But neighborhood turnover is rapid, some driven away by property crime and a scared by a coupe of home invasions, so there are new people I don't know. Many participate in contracted neighborhood patrols.

Thank you all for the help, thoughts and inspiration. I'm pulling either the trigger or plug (chose your metaphor) today; I hope to be out of here within a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland