Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 11:55 AM

4,315 posts, read 6,279,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
Which is why Coastal Southern CA is a lot better than Danville! If one wants miserabley hot weather like Danville in Socal they can always head for Chino Hills or Rancho Cucamonga.
I moved to Danville and fail to see how it is considered miserably hot here. You have a handful of days per year over 100, but not many. You always get a nice breeze in the afternoon, it is very dry and always cools off at night. Plus, the air quality is a lot better than the Silicon Valley.

Comparing Danville to somewhere like Rancho Cucamonga is ridiculous. It is easily 10 degrees warmer in those SoCal locations in the summer, not to mention much worse air quality.

Coastal SoCal is nice, but I preferred to be a bit inland. You get a bit too much of the May Gray / June Gloom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 11:57 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,394,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post
http://www.city-data.com/city/Danville-California.html

People always complain about Bay Area Summers but it's only 75 today in Coastal Southern CA.
Got a little warm during late afternoon, Peninsula Bayside (70s). Looks like a repeat today. Kind of nice after not getting any burn off on Tuesday.

Old 07-16-2015, 01:01 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Yeah, there are a few prize jobs in biotech, but you don't have the scale. I went to school down there and am very familiar with the environment......there's a reason why so many folks look to move to the Bay Area after graduation.
I wasn't even referring to biotech, I recently just casually browsed some job listings in my field and my wife's field out of curiosity and was surprised to find that pay wasn't all that different down there. I went to school down there too and stayed for 5 years after graduating. I agree that the job opportunities are more plentiful overall here but outside of tech I haven't noticed some big advantage as far as salary in other fields.

When you look at overall income and housing prices, the Bay Area really has no statistical advantage over Southern CA. Both area's are unaffordable but the SF urban (SF+Peninsula) area ranks the worst overall.

The 10 Least Affordable Major Metro Areas (PHOTOS)

Old 07-16-2015, 04:15 PM

7,708 posts, read 5,449,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
Well Danville is one the rare small town in bay area that looks relatively civilized! And the weather is nice too...
We enjoy visiting Danville, but older homes with water beneath them on the desirable west side cost more than we'd like (would have to fix water problems), plus a dinner spot (Piatti) has cigars on the menu which I think is just gross.

Last edited by SFBayBoomer; 07-16-2015 at 04:16 PM.. Reason: water problems

Old 07-17-2015, 02:44 PM

4,031 posts, read 4,460,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
I moved to Danville and fail to see how it is considered miserably hot here. You have a handful of days per year over 100, but not many. You always get a nice breeze in the afternoon, it is very dry and always cools off at night. Plus, the air quality is a lot better than the Silicon Valley.

Comparing Danville to somewhere like Rancho Cucamonga is ridiculous. It is easily 10 degrees warmer in those SoCal locations in the summer, not to mention much worse air quality.

Coastal SoCal is nice, but I preferred to be a bit inland. You get a bit too much of the May Gray / June Gloom.
Rancho Cucamonga would be more comfortable to somewhere like Brentwood or Mountain House. The Inland Empire is worse in the sense that it's just non stop sprawl. The outer East bay at least has more greenbelts and mountain ranges preventing the sprawl.

Old 08-16-2015, 03:38 PM

4,031 posts, read 4,460,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post
http://www.city-data.com/city/Danville-California.html

People always complain about Bay Area Summers but it's only 75 today in Coastal Southern CA.
It's 100° today and 11% humidity same as Las Vegas.

Old 08-16-2015, 06:47 PM

44 posts, read 103,589 times
It hit 102 in San Rafael and was in the 90s in Oakland today as well. I think SF was a little less than 85.

Old 08-16-2015, 06:55 PM

I think it got to 108 or something actually. Crazy.

Old 08-16-2015, 06:57 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,275,007 times
HATE it when it gets this hot in Oakland.

Old 08-16-2015, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
HATE it when it gets this hot in Oakland.
I wouldn't mind it if it wasn't this hazy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland