Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 12:55 AM

343 posts, read 691,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
Lots of people get sold on Oakland, because Oakland has a lot of good things going for it. You're welcome to believe whatever you want, but don't get surprised when people call you on your bullsh*t.

I've read all of your posts in this thread. It's not a very long thread. You claim that a bunch of Oakland neighborhoods aren't really a part of Oakland (why, because they're wealthy? what kind of dumb sht is that?), and then you claim that Oakland has nothing good about it. Yet you're questioning my intelligence. LOL

edit: the OP was wondering where the Oakland hate is...it's right here, as usual. Talk to ramedud about it.
To be clear I was questioning your literacy, which is quite a distinction from intelligence. Judging by your childish insults, flimsy argument, and your lost ability to read, yes, I do question your intelligence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 10:35 AM

176 posts, read 217,875 times
I'm not entirely sure for what the argument for certain wealthy Oakland neighborhoods not being a part of Oakland is. Are you saying that they are different from much of the rest of Oakland in demographics? No one was questioning that. If you are saying demographically they are more similar to Piedmont than much of the rest of Oakland--sure. But they are not magically not a part of a city because they are wealthy areas, just as Oakland is not entirely full of poverty and gang violence because that plagues other neighborhoods as well.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:26 AM

505 posts, read 367,727 times
I moved to Oakland from SF in 2004 and lived there for about 8 years, when I got and received a south bay job offer (at the time I was unwilling to commute so I moved to Campbell). I was up off MacArthur from Lake Merritt in the China Hill area, and it was a simple walk down to Lakeshore and Grand Ave. I loved the diversity and atmosphere there. I returned to Oakland about 3 years ago when the alcoholic roomie situation became too much to bear; got a room in a friend's house off of Seminary. It was a little more "hoodie" than my previous Oakland digs but still okay. Alas, had to head *back* to the south bay when said friend sold her house and moved to her home state of Kansas.

I never really had an issue with Oakland, and can honestly say that I miss it, even if it is becoming the next San Francisco in some ways.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:48 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,174,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
He has no point, honestly. He thinks Rockridge is some elusive "wealthy enclave" that isn't really part of Oakland. Too bad it has a frigging BART station and it's a popular shopping and dining district enjoyed by basically everybody. LOL
Seriously. I just read this discussion and this poster is making no sense. It is a given that 83rd Ave and International is worlds apart from College Ave and Highway 24. Still same city. Duh. LOL

Old 07-29-2015, 03:12 PM

6,409 posts, read 8,251,572 times
5 pages of people mostly saying they like Oakland and a few dumb posts from an obvious troll/hater. I'lll consider this thread a whopping success.

Old 07-29-2015, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
5 pages of people mostly saying they like Oakland and a few dumb posts from an obvious troll/hater. I'lll consider this thread a whopping success.
Let me get this straight: I'm a "troll/hater" because I said Oakland is not the best.

Are you still in middle school bro? xD If you're offended by that, you're a really insecure individual.

Old 07-29-2015, 08:20 PM

522 posts, read 732,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwduvall View Post
Some of the locals on the Baltimore Forum, myself included, get annoyed that many of our treads are dominated by negative posts from the Washington, DC area residents. The forum's busiest (and possibly most negative) poster is from the Washington Area. The invective is most pronounced when someone says that they are moving to Baltimore. While Baltimore City (where I live) has very well known problems, the rest of the Baltimore area is pretty prosperous and has relatively low crime.

While it might seem helpful to warn people that haven't watched the news in the last few months or The Wire that Baltimore is not problem free, warning people not to move into the metro area seems like overkill. Anyway, I have taken a look at the San Francisco - Oakland Forum and I haven't seen any of the same over the top negativity directed at Oakland by folks from San Francisco, etc. Why don't you guys pick on Oakland more? At least crime wise, Oakland seems to have big problems too.
Because Oakland has a lot of awesome areas.

Old 07-29-2015, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramedud View Post
Let me get this straight: I'm a "troll/hater" because I said Oakland is not the best.

Are you still in middle school bro? xD If you're offended by that, you're a really insecure individual.
It is kind of hard to decipher what you are saying. It is okay if you don't like Oakland. Don't visit or move here. No biggie dude. Where do you live?

Old 07-29-2015, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
It is kind of hard to decipher what you are saying. It is okay if you don't like Oakland. Don't visit or move here. No biggie dude. Where do you live?
It's not hard to decipher. I said Oakland is not the best. I think literacy is an issue here too.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramedud View Post
It's not hard to decipher. I said Oakland is not the best. I think literacy is an issue here too.
Re-read your own postings. You are not clear. Asking for clarification is not a sign of stupidity. Also, literacy has nothing to do with it so I'm not sure why you are stuck on that point. One needs to write what he means. You must understand that nobody else can read your mind. Is English your first language? That might explain part of the disconnect.

Why do you care so much about Oakland? Believe me, the competition to move here is fierce enough. Your negativity is just silly. Stay happy wherever in the world you are!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland