Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2015, 05:05 PM

153 posts, read 153,743 times

Advertisements

Hi All

I am finally returning home (California born and raised) and plan on settling in the bay area.
I am lucky in that I am in the medical field so I have some flexibility as long as I am within 20-30min of a hospital.
I will be returning as a single female so I am starting to consider demographics from a mid-life perspective. I am really just looking for age appropriate people-either gender-to get to know and enjoy the area with. I actually like a mix of ages, just not a 20-30s something walkable club scene.

Funky local shops and restaurants, artsy/bikable is more my speed. More sun than fog. I am looking anywhere from WC to Alameda to Berkely/Temescal/Gentrifying Oakland to SF less super urban neighborhoods.
Rent-wise $2500's for 1-2 bdrm. Buy-wise I'd like to keep it in the $600s 2-3bdm SFH or townhouse.

So tell me, Where are all the Gen Jones'ers at??

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 07:05 PM

238 posts, read 302,367 times
you say you are returning as a single female. can i ask what you left as?

Old 08-03-2015, 07:17 PM

901 posts, read 1,167,164 times
Definitely Oakland, no doubt in my mind. Very cool place for mid 30's and up, has many many SF refugees as well.

Old 08-03-2015, 07:18 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,183,102 times
I'd say Oakland rent-wise. Your budget is not high enough for SF these days. I don't think there is a "keeping up with the Jone's" mentality here. You just have to compete with loads of others for housing. It is not easy if you are not wealthy. Downtown, Adams Point, Grand Lake, Piedmont Ave, Rockridge, Temescal are all relatively safe areas where you can feel comfortable and get a 1 and maybe 2 bed for $2,500. Look at Craigslist.

Old 08-03-2015, 07:37 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Berkeley/Oakland. Walnut Ck has more sun, but it's a lot hotter, too. And colder in winter, plus there's valley fog in winter, ground fog, which makes driving dicey.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:00 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,006,587 times
SF is the "it" city for over 40 singles on the west coast. The younger crowd is all Oak-Berk-Emeryville.

Walnut Creek is more divoreced folks and people who never fled the suburbs.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
SF is the "it" city for over 40 singles on the west coast. The younger crowd is all Oak-Berk-Emeryville.
Because people over the age of 40 (and late 30s) stop wanting to live with roommates, SF is not the "it" city for them unless they a) are willing to live with other people or b) making well over 100k to get a nice one bedroom apartment - and still spend too much on rent.

So unless you're making like 130 to 150k or more, you probably would rather just go East and get a much bigger place.

Oakland is filling up with these types of people, in addition to younger. Such fairly-high-earning but not super-loaded single people are buying little houses in 2nd and 3rd tier Oakland neighborhoods and getting their own space. I personally know about 5 people who have done this move. And the people I know staying in SF have much more money.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:52 AM

675 posts, read 1,189,803 times
From what you are writing, I think Walnut Creek is a perfect for for you, especially if you can find something near downtown. Its a great walkable downtown that has everything, including some wine and art festivals as few times a year, and a great Farmer's Market. Some great condos right near the downtown area on California Street that are right in your budget. I used to live right off of California, on Cole Street, and it was great. Walkable to BART (3 or 4 blocks), walkable to downtown (3 or 4 blocks). I always felt the Summers were more than manageable. It rarely hit 100, most of the days were in the mid 80's to low 90's, and hardly any humidity. Winters, the lows are very similar to the rest of the Bay Area. I came from NYC, lived in Walnut Creek from 1999-2006, and loved every second of it. results may vary, but it sounds like Walnut Creek has what you are looking for. Lots of chain restaurants and stores, but also lots of family owned restaurants and stores. Also some good areas to bike, paths etc.

I plan to move back there when I retire in 10+ years, can't wait.

Old 08-06-2015, 08:03 AM

153 posts, read 153,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by comingbacktocali View Post
you say you are returning as a single female. can i ask what you left as?
Haha touché! after all it is the Bay Area.
My gender has not changed.But being stuck in DC for 10yrs has sadly affected my SB surfer girl vibe.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.
I AirBnB'd in Temescal last June and enjoyed the neighborhood. Seemed to be mostly youngish, laid back couples, good food and local characters.

Someone mentioned refugees from SF in Oakland. What neighborhoods are they landing in?
Oakland is sunnier than Berkeley isn't it?

I plan on buying a house within the next 4-6 months. Wanted to rent first and check out the different towns and their neighborhoods. I'm not super paranoid about safety. Especially if the age demographic skews a little older.

Old 08-06-2015, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonista View Post
Someone mentioned refugees from SF in Oakland. What neighborhoods are they landing in?
Oakland is sunnier than Berkeley isn't it?

I plan on buying a house within the next 4-6 months. Wanted to rent first and check out the different towns and their neighborhoods. I'm not super paranoid about safety. Especially if the age demographic skews a little older.
I think Temescal is very big for new ex-SF'ers. Adams Point and Grand-Lakeshore areas are also big. Rockridge is for those with the most money. I also like Piedmont avenue area.

With your budget, I think you are looking at "up and coming", so maybe the fringes of Temescal, or other areas near the lake....or elsewhere. Many recent threads on Oakland neighborhoods.

You need to know that you should expect multiple bids and a definite challenge to buy a house. If 600k is your budget, you need to be looking at 500k houses to give yourself bid headroom. Yes, it's that bad and that crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland