Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 12:51 AM

28 posts, read 34,502 times

Advertisements

I have a potential position in Palo Alto, but obviously can't afford to live there. I'd LOVE to live in Oakland but I've visited enough times to know that I'm not at all interested in that commute.
May I ask what are the good alternatives? Is Hayward a good option? It's closer to PA for work, and closer Oakland for fun. But I'm not sure about the relative cost, safety, or availability of decent apartments. Is there something better I should be considering?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2015, 09:10 AM

168 posts, read 165,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeloveli View Post
I have a potential position in Palo Alto, but obviously can't afford to live there. I'd LOVE to live in Oakland but I've visited enough times to know that I'm not at all interested in that commute.
May I ask what are the good alternatives? Is Hayward a good option? It's closer to PA for work, and closer Oakland for fun. But I'm not sure about the relative cost, safety, or availability of decent apartments. Is there something better I should be considering?
Hayward's okay, but (in my mind) doesn't have much to recommend it, aside from the State University, which is really a commuter thing, not something that makes Hayward a college town.

I'd encourage you to look at Fremont. It's on the fringes of Silicon Valley, so it's got an immigrant population (international and intranational). It's kind of heavy on the mall/strip mall thing, but plenty of local businesses. Some quiet, well-kept neighborhoods. (Are you thinking about apartments, condos or SFRs?) It's more hustle-bustle than Hayward, with more fast, wide streets, but plenty of places to be at some distance.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:29 AM

901 posts, read 1,167,292 times
Bigger questions are what are you expecting to get out of this job and what are your minimum lifestyle standards? You're looking at the bottom end housing markets in the Bay Area, which suggests to me that this is a marginal economic move for you. If you're looking for fun, I doubt you'd be happy in any surburban Bay Area town (other than Oakland or SF) unless you're older.

The Bay Area is in the middle of a brutal housing shortage (with an overstressed transportation system) that has no end in sight, companies are not paying enough to compensate (not nearly enough - even though salaries are high in general - this fools people) and people are being pushed into housing positions they never expected to be in. If you're not on a trajectory to make serious money in a tech or professional career here, the Bay Area is not worth it for a newcomer. This used to not be true as recently as 4 or 5 years ago, but things have changed.

Last edited by Chuck5000; 08-13-2015 at 09:39 AM..

Old 08-13-2015, 05:42 PM

522 posts, read 736,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeloveli View Post
I think Fremont is your best bet then.

Old 08-13-2015, 06:03 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Fremont. It's right across the bridge from Palo Alto.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBob View Post
Hayward's okay, but (in my mind) doesn't have much to recommend it, aside from the State University, which is really a commuter thing, not something that makes Hayward a college town.

I'd encourage you to look at Fremont. It's on the fringes of Silicon Valley, so it's got an immigrant population (international and intranational). It's kind of heavy on the mall/strip mall thing, but plenty of local businesses. Some quiet, well-kept neighborhoods. (Are you thinking about apartments, condos or SFRs?) It's more hustle-bustle than Hayward, with more fast, wide streets, but plenty of places to be at some distance.
I'm thinking condo/apartment. I'm in my early 30's and single. Safety is definitely an issue. It was really about being convenient to work in Palo Alto, but close to my nightlife scene in Oakland. I'm not familiar with Fremont, but I appreciate that it's more lively than Hayward. It's further from fun than I envisioned, but I'll definitely check it out.

Thanks so much!

Old 08-13-2015, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck5000 View Post
Bigger questions are what are you expecting to get out of this job and what are your minimum lifestyle standards? You're looking at the bottom end housing markets in the Bay Area, which suggests to me that this is a marginal economic move for you. If you're looking for fun, I doubt you'd be happy in any surburban Bay Area town (other than Oakland or SF) unless you're older.

I expect my salary to be between around 75k. I'm not uncofortable on 10k less now, but the cost of living in this part of California is a lot lower. I was previously in So. Cal (LA&SD) with roommates and then moved to Texas where I got much more bang for my buck so I'm used to making the adjustment back and forth regarding lifestyle.

It's an ideal career step for me, so it's worth the hassle to move on from here. Hayward was a completely happenstance choice(I've never been) as it was halfway between Oakland and the job. I love the way Oakland feels, but recognize getting to Palo Alto from there would be long and tortuous. SF isn't off the table, but I assumed it would be completely unaffordable.

I'm in my early 30's and indeed looking for fun and safety. However, I read here on the SF/Oak forums that one's happiness is directly correlated with their commute.

Last edited by Deeloveli; 08-13-2015 at 11:07 PM..

Old 08-14-2015, 12:54 AM

702 posts, read 953,548 times
Fremont is hella boring, and driving across the Dumbarton bridge still sucks - not worth it at all IMO. I'd try to find a place in midtown/downtown San Jose.

Old 08-14-2015, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketch89 View Post
Fremont is hella boring, and driving across the Dumbarton bridge still sucks - not worth it at all IMO. I'd try to find a place in midtown/downtown San Jose.
There's nightlife in San Jose? I know the median age is lower, but I'm under the impression the cost of living isn't reasonable. Taking the Baby Bullet to work would be ideal, but my drive to my friends and fun in Oakland just doubled.

You're right, bridges aren't awesome, but I understand them to be a necessary evil on account of the bay. It is a good option though. I'll check into it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 08-14-2015, 02:25 AM

522 posts, read 736,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketch89 View Post
People need to understand while the suburbs may be "hella boring" they're also more affordable than most parts of Oakland. That's why I moved to Concord so i can live comfortably. My new philosophy is if it has a Bart station that's good enough for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland