Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 10:57 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulliganx View Post
Commuting time should be between 30 to 45 minutes. 60 minutes is a possibility,
Commuting time to WHERE?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2015, 11:10 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Bottom line there are no suburbs here equivalent to "good" Long Island, "middle class" Westchester, "nice" inner Rockland or suburban NE NJ.

Here you are either in a "high end" Westchester or "bad" NE NJ / LI.
Classic example to contrast with the reality on the ground here:

10 Hickory Hill Road, Tappan, NY For Sale | Trulia.com

Old 09-11-2015, 12:14 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Sorry OP, you have been priced out of the Bay Area. You need to give up about 2 things on your list and you might find something. It sounds harsh, but it is true.

Also where you want to commute to is extremely critical information. You have slightly better hope if you want to commute to SF. But if you want to commute to Menlo Park, Santa Clara, Redwood City, Cupertino, Mountain View or similar, then the answer is no. Unless you add to your commute, around 75 minutes.

Old 09-11-2015, 01:31 PM

67 posts, read 124,939 times
MillBrae and San Mateo look nice and look to be in the "high end" area, however I am thrown off by the average household incomes and the cost of housing (unless real estate has jumped up that dramatically recently). Average incomes show between $80k - $95k, whereas the homes are selling in the 1 million - 2.5 million range. Our HHI is slightly above $150k however the cost of homes in these specific areas are priced at a higher HHI in my opinion.

Old 09-11-2015, 01:47 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
MillBrae and San Mateo look nice and look to be in the "high end" area, however I am thrown off by the average household incomes and the cost of housing (unless real estate has jumped up that dramatically recently). Average incomes show between $80k - $95k, whereas the homes are selling in the 1 million - 2.5 million range. Our HHI is slightly above $150k however the cost of homes in these specific areas are priced at a higher HHI in my opinion.
There are a large number of people who have lived in those areas for decades long before prices went through the roof, hence the lower than expected median income. Where will you be working?

Old 09-11-2015, 01:50 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
Quote:
We would not be able to afford to buy our house now. We cannot even afford to rent in our area.

Old 09-11-2015, 01:52 PM

3,243 posts, read 6,295,126 times
Quote:
MillBrae and San Mateo look nice and look to be in the "high end" area, however I am thrown off by the average household incomes and the cost of housing (unless real estate has jumped up that dramatically recently).
I would not call San Mateo or Millbrae "high end". More like above average. High end would be Hillsborough,Woodside & Atherton.

Quote:
Average incomes show between $80k - $95k, whereas the homes are selling in the 1 million - 2.5 million range. Our HHI is slightly above $150k however the cost of homes in these specific areas are priced at a higher HHI in my opinion.
Plan A: Make a huge chunk of cash with your employee stock options so you have 500K- 1M for the down payment.

Plan B: 3 bedroom=3 extended families=6 working adults. 6x$80k=480k household income or even 6x$50k=$300k.

Old 09-11-2015, 02:17 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Quote:
Home prices have gone up a lot since the bottom of the crash, but many people bought their homes a long time ago when things were much cheaper, you also have a lot of wealthy people buying there because of the desirability, you also have a lot of people renting too.

Old 09-11-2015, 02:31 PM

901 posts, read 1,167,292 times
The income of new buyers near SF and SV typically starts near 300, 400k+ (anecdotal, but ask any agent) with both one and two income couples. There are a ton of such people making that kind of money. And that's for $1m homes. This is why even 250k income is priced out of the peninsula, and out of most of Silicon Valley (barring massive savings/cash). You could look in parts of San Jose, but house-wise it's a step down from the East Bay burbs I mentioned.

To duplicate the life you have on Long Island, my guess is that you'd need $325k or so HHI here. Salaries here are higher, but not nearly higher enough - again, unless you're sitting on many 100s of thousands in cash.

Key thing to consider: the tech economy here can be cyclical. Be sure that before you move a family, you have a skill-set or career path that can get you employment in a tech-led downturn.

To understand the causes of housing costs here, it's complex and multi-factored - read this: How Burrowing Owls Lead To Vomiting Anarchists (Or SF’s Housing Crisis Explained) | TechCrunch

Old 09-11-2015, 04:51 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,553,620 times
Quote:
Thanks for your replies. Yes, we are currently residing in Long Island (massapequa) and would like to live in an area with a similar suburban feel. A house between 3-4 bedroom would be needed. In terms of the quality orbs cool district we would seek a strong 8. In terms of looks this may be a funny comparison but homes which are similar to the "Weeds" show from the fake city of agrestic would be an ideal feel in California. No idea If a particular town resembles this. Commuting time should be between 30 to 45 minutes. 60 minutes is a possibility,
Newer parts near Dublin, San Ramon around, and Blackhawk have that feel, but looks like they are probably closer to 1.1M these days, at $424/sqft it is almost as expensive as San Jose, but a lot newer.

I think for that kind of feel closer to your budget you would be looking at Brentwood, where will you be working, Brentwood can be 2hr commute to either SF or Silicon Valley, which are the biggest job center in the Bay Area. Unfortunately it looks like there are few jobs in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland