Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2015, 10:39 AM

102,096 posts, read 107,233,376 times

Advertisements

Is this something new--pumping Delta water to LA? Or have I missed something all these years? The local news in the East Bay today is that LA is getting ready to buy some of the islands in the Delta for water storage, as part of a plan to send water to LA via some proposed tunnels.

Would this give LA rights to Delta water? Has anyone involved in this noticed that there have been water shortages locally, this year? Maybe LA should contract with Canada for their water, if they're that desperate. wth?!

"The Metropolitan Water District of Southern California's Real Asset and Property Management Committee is scheduled to meet behind closed doors Tuesday in Los Angeles to discuss the purchase of 37 parcels of Contra Costa County land--Webb and Holland tracts--and 35 parcels of San Joaquin County land--Boudin and Bacon islands.

The Delta Wetlands Project, a public-private partnership that previously bought the parcels from private landowners, had proposed an agreement to provide water storage on the land, and return two of the islands to wetland habitat."

(Sorry, I couldn't find anything online that linked to the article.)

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 09-22-2015 at 10:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 10:59 AM

18,970 posts, read 32,496,490 times
Pumping water from the delta to Southern Ca is nothing new and has been going on for decades.

Old 09-22-2015, 04:45 PM

102,096 posts, read 107,233,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Pumping water from the delta to Southern Ca is nothing new and has been going on for decades.
I'm getting conflicting info on this. I was told the voters voted down an initiative to build a new canal for that purpose, so the new proposal is tunnels, which the Guv backs, but it hasn't gone through the approval process yet.

And according to the report, some people are having flashbacks to the Owens Lake scandal, at the mention of LA buying land around a Bay freshwater source.

Old 09-23-2015, 01:17 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,322,554 times
Not only is Delta water transported to SoCal, it's even transported to the Bay Area (hint, not all Bay Area imported water is from Hetch Hetchy).

OK, now follow me here. I'm going to transport water from a place that is near the tail end of the San Joaquin River system. Even though it has way less water than the Sacramento System. Oh, but the two are connected at the Delta. Soooooo ... I'll just put in some wickedly powerful pumps. They will be so powerful they will actually reverse flows and everrrrrrr soooooooo slooooooooowly grab some of that plentiful water from the Sacramento System.

So, The Delta will be a sort of extension of my intake system. Water there will run through twisty turny sloughs contained by old decaying peat levees riddled with varmint holes.

Eventually, I will start to suck in the salt water from The Bay, but not enough to violate Federal Standards.

Man, some awesome engineering here! / sarc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland