Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2020, 09:27 AM

2,379 posts, read 1,794,342 times

Advertisements

OP, going by what you have so far posted, I suggest you explore the general north Berkeley area and see if you think it could work out for you. North of University Ave to Solano Ave, from N Berkeley Bart east

https://www.visitberkeley.com/maps-neighborhoods/

Last edited by tikkasf; 09-07-2020 at 09:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2020, 03:48 PM

11 posts, read 10,325 times
Thank you all for the help. N. Berkeley is a bit farther from my friends in Oakland but very calm. Hopefully noise from the interstate, MLK, or San Pablo wouldn't be too bad. I'll look into El Cerrito and Oakland Hills too. I'm looking to rent a house or ideally a backyard cottage. Thanks again for the kind help!

Old 09-09-2020, 08:04 PM

102,092 posts, read 107,197,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubaw View Post
Thank you all for the help. N. Berkeley is a bit farther from my friends in Oakland but very calm. Hopefully noise from the interstate, MLK, or San Pablo wouldn't be too bad. I'll look into El Cerrito and Oakland Hills too. I'm looking to rent a house or ideally a backyard cottage. Thanks again for the kind help!
There are backyard cottages in Albany, El Cerrito and around Berkeley, Kensington, and parts of Oakland. With property taxes high, people somehow got away with converting garages to 2-story homes, and all kinds of things, long ago. Whether there will be any openings of that kind right now is iffy, but you never know.

Old 09-10-2020, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubaw View Post

There are quiet streets in the Elmwood & Claremont areas of Berkeley....I know because I have countless times explored the area on foot. So, if being closer to Oakland would be a plus for you, then add this area to your list........finding a cottage type dwelling will likely will be a challenge though

Old 09-11-2020, 10:20 AM

102,092 posts, read 107,197,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
There are quiet streets in the Elmwood & Claremont areas of Berkeley....I know because I have countless times explored the area on foot. So, if being closer to Oakland would be a plus for you, then add this area to your list........finding a cottage type dwelling will likely will be a challenge though
There are technically illegal secondary dwellings in Elmwood and Rockridge, which, as I mentioned earlier, property owners somehow got away with building, or maybe there was a loophole in the building codes/zoning regs. Whether any of the has a vacancy when the OP needs it remains to be seen.

But it depends, also, on what the OP regards as a "quiet" area without traffic noise. She hasn't responded to my earlier question about Elmwood/Claremont, in that regard. College Ave. and Claremont Ave. are busy streets, especially during commute hours, and there's freeway noise that can be heard in parts of Claremont. Still, there are quiet areas within those neighborhoods, if one can get lucky. And the older apartment buildings are extremely spacious with lots of storage space, by more modern standards.

Old 09-11-2020, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
There are technically illegal secondary dwellings in Elmwood and Rockridge, which, as I mentioned earlier, property owners somehow got away with building, or maybe there was a loophole in the building codes/zoning regs. Whether any of the has a vacancy when the OP needs it remains to be seen.

But it depends, also, on what the OP regards as a "quiet" area without traffic noise. She hasn't responded to my earlier question about Elmwood/Claremont, in that regard. College Ave. and Claremont Ave. are busy streets, especially during commute hours, and there's freeway noise that can be heard in parts of Claremont. Still, there are quiet areas within those neighborhoods, if one can get lucky. And the older apartment buildings are extremely spacious with lots of storage space, by more modern standards.

I know there are relatively quiet streets to be found......because, of the many times I have walked them....one of the reasons (when i did want to drive) I would go over to Berkeley, was to find some quiet, but interesting streets to explore on foot. I recall on one occasion, I took the BART to the Rockridge station and ended up taking BART back to SF at the North Berkeley station........ At this point, I think it would behoove OP to take a day trip over to Berkeley and explore some of the fore mentioned areas in this thread and see which ones are of most interest
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland