Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 02:33 PM

10 posts, read 12,705 times

Advertisements

Seriously. I was born and raised in San Jose, spent time out of the country, state and whatnot. I have traveled to 45 of the 50 states, and have been to some great places, some ok places and some horrible places.

Believe me when I say that if you can afford it, the Bay Area is the greatest place in the world. Constantinople to NYC's Rome. The brain trust of the US.

Neighborhoods are diverse, crime is low, most people are educated and open minded, the food is great, dating is easy (you just can't be a jerk and expect people to treat you like a king because you have a degree,) and the weather is sublime.

The only complaint, other than the outrageous home prices, is the bubble. You get used to the bay area and when visiting some place with a bit more bigotry you are shocked people still think that way. You end up forgetting that so much of fly over America is stuck further in the past than the bay.

This is not to say there are no racists or homophobes in the bay area. It's just that we chased most of them to other places (e.g. Florida, Texas) during the 90s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2015, 03:34 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
It is a good place. But the greatest?

A few issues right off the top of my head:
- Transportation infrastructure (both public and roads) is at best a C+.
- The parochialism that you see between SF and every other community, between individual suburbs / inner ring communities, even between entire chunks of the area, is very juvenile and detracts from a regional spirit.
- It is at a dead end in the interstate highway system.
- The homeless problem.
- The cost of living.
- The decline of the middle income demographic segment.

There are some other great cities that have some of these issues but not all of them. That makes them great-er than our lovely Bay Area.

Old 10-26-2015, 03:38 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,277,565 times
Definitely NOT the greatest in the world, regardless of whether you can afford it or not. It does come close to what a lot of places in Europe have to offer, so there's that. But it's certainly not the best, and it's definitely not for everyone.

Old 10-26-2015, 04:23 PM

505 posts, read 368,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
There are some other great cities that have some of these issues but not all of them. That makes them great-er than our lovely Bay Area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Definitely NOT the greatest in the world, regardless of whether you can afford it or not. It does come close to what a lot of places in Europe have to offer, so there's that. But it's certainly not the best, and it's definitely not for everyone.
Agreed.

I was born and raised in San Francisco, relocated to the East Bay and currently live in the south bay. My parents are from the south (Georgia) and when I was a kid we used to drive cross country every summer to visit my relatives, so I have some exposure to other states.

As stated previously by the other two posters, the Bay Area is a nice place. But the "greatest place in the world?"

Far from it.

Old 10-26-2015, 04:25 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
I don't think so, I owned my condo outright, paid 100% cash, so $350 month for HOA, $300 month for property tax and $50 month for utility... $700 total to live here and I can't wait to move. I think the Bay Area is a great place, but it's not my cup of tea. Too much poverty, horrendous architecture and not enough to do (for me anyways). If money was no object and I wanted an urban city, I would choose New York City, Seoul, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Singapore, a few cities throughout Europe etc over San Francisco any day. If I were living in the more suburban cities in the Bay Area, there are A LOT more cities I'd rather live.

Overall, it's a great area, but definitely not the greatest in my opinion, not even close.

Old 10-26-2015, 04:40 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,651,109 times
It's true, KPIX ingrained it in our heads during the 90's...

The best place on Earth calling KPIX - SFGate

Old 10-26-2015, 08:47 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,600,654 times
This is all a matter of opinion, really. I find that while SF is nice, many things here are very overrated. People have recommended places, restaurants, cafes, stores and have talked it up so much, that I was a bit underwhelmed at these places. I would say San Francisco is nice. I like it here but it is vastly overrated for what you get. I like NYC a little better. (The weather in NYC is horrendous compared to SF's weather.)

Old 10-26-2015, 09:51 PM

32 posts, read 32,236 times
I have lived in many places in the US and one location overseas. I would have to respectfully disagree. The Bay Area is one my least favorite places that I have lived. London, Paris, Madrid, Amsterdam, NYC, Washington DC, Boston, and Chicago are all much nicer than San Francisco. I am actually amazed at how bad San Francisco is. I don't remember it being like this in the 90s.

Old 10-26-2015, 10:30 PM

3,244 posts, read 6,299,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsara510 View Post
I have lived in many places in the US and one location overseas. I would have to respectfully disagree. The Bay Area is one my least favorite places that I have lived.
I completely agree! I haved lived in 11 different cities and San Francisco is my least favorite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTaverner View Post

Believe me when I say that if you can afford it, the Bay Area is the greatest place in the world.
Its not even the greatest place in California!

Old 10-26-2015, 10:30 PM

23,533 posts, read 24,022,219 times
It's all a matter of what's important to you and what lifestyle you are looking for. I'm a Bay Area native that was schooled in SoCal and also lived in SoCal for 20+ years. Besides SoCal, I've traveled and stayed for period of time in 30 of the 50 US states and 18 foreign countries.

The Bay Area isn't the best place in the world I've been to, but there are a lot of nice things about it, which is why it is so expensive to live here (strong demand for housing is one variable). Working in technology sales, the job market is second to none and the connections I've made here through my professional life have helped me in countless ways. The diversity is a plus (although it presents it's challenges to communities also), the weather is phenomenal and the natural beauty is second to none. The open minded, educated population is certainly a big plus.

The drawbacks are the high cost of living, the crime, and San Francisco itself is pretty filthy. There are worse places to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland