Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 03:22 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,655,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisaro TMF View Post
Because Whites typically don't move into poor sections of the city, they will be suspicious since traditionally whites seen in these area's are there to buy drugs. They'll go rural before they do that. These hipsters move into the hood and are "surprised" Blacks are walking around and asking women for phone numbers .
They do and got called out for it because of Gentrification...

Gentrification is the reversal of a downward trend and it only takes one or two buying into a block to start the ball rolling...

I truly have no idea how it is elsewhere... only experience is in the SF Bay Area and mostly Oakland... both West and East Oakland.

What is driving the resurgence is San Francisco for the most part... for the price of a studio in San Francisco you can still rent single family homes in Oakland...

Geography is really responsible since parts of Oakland are actually closer to Downtown SF in time and distance than places in San Francisco.

I'm very active in Oakland and 5 generations of my family live or have lived here and what is happening right now is an influx of SF economic refugees plus others that simply chose to live here like the new LGBT family that bought recently bought across the street... they want their children to grow up in the most diverse large city in America while it is still that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 03:58 PM

540 posts, read 653,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
I'm still a bit gob-smacked that there's even a thread questioning white people moving into an area. Imagine if the shoe were on the other foot and people were kvetching about blacks, Latinos or Asians moving into a town or city. Basically, it would have quickly been locked or deleted.
Whites purposely moving into a high crime drug zone with impoverished blacks in order to cash in on potential real estate booms is not like a Black/Asian/Latino etc family moving into a clean traditionally white middle/upper middle class area.

Old 11-04-2015, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
They do and got called out for it because of Gentrification...

Gentrification is the reversal of a downward trend and it only takes one or two buying into a block to start the ball rolling...

I truly have no idea how it is elsewhere... only experience is in the SF Bay Area and mostly Oakland... both West and East Oakland.

What is driving the resurgence is San Francisco for the most part... for the price of a studio in San Francisco you can still rent single family homes in Oakland...

Geography is really responsible since parts of Oakland are actually closer to Downtown SF in time and distance than places in San Francisco.

I'm very active in Oakland and 5 generations of my family live or have lived here and what is happening right now is an influx of SF economic refugees plus others that simply chose to live here like the new LGBT family that bought recently bought across the street... they want their children to grow up in the most diverse large city in America while it is still that.
They move into that area because they know it's going to take off due to it's close proximity to SF and cheaper housing than SF. They could move other places like SSF but they want to cash in just like people who moved into the SOMA area have been. SOMA used to an extension of the tenderloin. Now look at it. West Oakland is next up.

Old 11-04-2015, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Whites purposely moving into a high crime drug zone with impoverished blacks in order to cash in on potential real estate booms is not like a Black/Asian/Latino etc family moving into a clean traditionally white middle/upper middle class area.
You are right... middle/upper class is much more about money... plenty of Black/Asian/Latino families with means...

I work with a lot of Docs... about half of the new/younger ones are Asian...

The Bay area also is home to a lot of well paid or wealthy athletes as well as people of all races with means in Bio Tech and High Tech...

The people I know moving into West and East Oakland are refugees... economic ones.

If you buy a home to live in and raise a family it is not exactly cashing in.

Old 11-04-2015, 04:25 PM

Quote:
They move into that area because they know it's going to take off due to it's close proximity to SF and cheaper housing than SF. They could move other places like SSF but they want to cash in just like people who moved into the SOMA area have been. SOMA used to an extension of the tenderloin. Now look at it. West Oakland is next up.
West Oakland has always been close to SF... the only thing that has changed in the last 50 years is BART.

I bought my first home in Oakland because I was 22 and desperately wanted to be a homeowner... looked around and was getting discouraged... I started checking the MLS several times a week at a Mom and Pop Real Estate office on 35th avenue in Oakland for the least expensive single family homes listed... and then setting up appointments to view.

It was strictly proximity and affordability...

Old 11-04-2015, 06:07 PM

520 posts, read 611,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
I'm still a bit gob-smacked that there's even a thread questioning white people moving into an area. Imagine if the shoe were on the other foot and people were kvetching about blacks, Latinos or Asians moving into a town or city. Basically, it would have quickly been locked or deleted.
I don't see this thread as questioning white people moving into West Oakland as much as simply observing that it's happening. Anyway, Dave Coe regularly posts and updates his threads observing the different racial demographics and changes in cities in Contra Costa County. And there's barely-veiled complaints about minorities moving to Antioch on here too that don't get locked or deleted.

Old 11-04-2015, 06:12 PM

The Bay Area is a very diverse... with some areas having some of the highest cost of living nationwide.

People with jobs, good jobs, often find they have to make compromises not necessary elsewhere.

Any area geographically desirable will be heavily influenced by higher priced adjacent areas.

Oakland has a lot of older housing stock with all that entails... the farther away from SF... the more options exist for the same money... as a rule... although the entire peninsular to South Bay is expensive... East Bay not so extreme.

Old 11-04-2015, 06:31 PM

14,673 posts, read 14,639,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaDave View Post
I don't know if you know this but since you lived there during the right time:

Was Huey Newton really reduced to a crackhead?

Was Hook Mitchell really that good at basketball?
That was a little before my time, but yes Huey was killed by a Black Guerrilla Family member over an outstanding drug debt, on the corner of Center and 8th or 10th street. There used to be a stencil of his image spray painted on the spot where he was killed, not sure if it's still there. If you've read up on him, Huey's coke problem started when the Panthers were still a force in the city, and he just went downhill from there.

Old 11-05-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
West Oakland has always been close to SF... the only thing that has changed in the last 50 years is BART.

I bought my first home in Oakland because I was 22 and desperately wanted to be a homeowner... looked around and was getting discouraged... I started checking the MLS several times a week at a Mom and Pop Real Estate office on 35th avenue in Oakland for the least expensive single family homes listed... and then setting up appointments to view.

It was strictly proximity and affordability...
Yes but the old West Oakland was probably worst than East Oakland. It's desolate, poor, and full of crime. It definitely looks more run down than most area's of east Oakland. Not many people ever thought to buy in West Oakland 10 years ago even though it's always been there right by the bridge. It wasn't the cool place to be .

Old 11-05-2015, 01:55 PM

West Oakland has been traditionally industrial with rail, the port, etc... nearby.

East Oakland was primarily the suburbs except from water edge to San Leandro Blvd.

Street cars ran for decades from downtown Oakland to East Oakland.

Of course East Oakland also had two large auto plants and one truck plant... back when it was more rural... the Chevrolet Plant where Eastmont is now, the Oakland Car Plant where Durant Square is and the Peterbilt plant where Foothill Square is now...

East Oakland also has much newer housing stock... lots of home built in the 20's and 30's... West Oakland original housing is much older.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 11-06-2015 at 09:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland