Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 03:25 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,589,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
The rich blaming the poor for this country's ills has really gone on long enough. Economic inequality is as bad, if not worse, as it was right before the Great Depression.

Sure, people should take responsibility for their actions if they spend frivolously and don't think about the future, but what's going on the Bay Area is way, way beyond just that.
Yup. When the most of the income gains go to the top, something happens.......

http://www.motherjones.com/files/ima..._of_income.png
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 03:50 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,766,762 times
Maybe it's time to move to Sacramento or Portland.
San Francisco has become very desirable to the wealthy and rich Similar to New York or London. This is not going to change. This influx of wealth has affected the whole region.Homes are going for ~ $ 2 million in rockridge and Crocker highlands . In Oakland!

If a family who makes $200,000 can't buy in those neighborhoods anymore I think it's inevitable some people are going to have to relocate.

Old 11-06-2015, 04:17 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,862,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
San Francisco has become very desirable to the wealthy and rich Similar to New York or London. This is not going to change. This influx of wealth has affected the whole region.Homes are going for ~ $ 2 million in rockridge and Crocker highlands . In Oakland!

If a family who makes $200,000 can't buy in those neighborhoods anymore I think it's inevitable some people are going to have to relocate.
The problem with that comparison is that in NYC (and I think even in London, too) the surrounding areas are relatively affordable to average people. SF is unique in its sheer range of unaffordability to people in average/lower paying professions.

There's no northern NJ or LI equivalent here anymore. The East Bay used to be it, but even that has become absurd.

Old 11-06-2015, 04:18 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,772,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smashystyle View Post
Do you know what the biggest factor in being wealthy is? Hard work, intelligence, race, gender, luck? Nope. It's being born to wealthy parents. America Is Even Less Socially Mobile Than Economists Thought - The Atlantic

But it's psychologically convenient to denigrate the poor so that we don't feel any responsibility to them. If the poor are at fault for their own circumstances, it's easier to disregard them without any guilt. Of course, I thought this was a "Christian country" with compassion and empathy even for those who have made mistakes. That's why Ben Carson, Mike Huckabee, and others are promising to feed and shelter the poor, right?
What income level determine when someone should be responsible for their actions? Is it a sliding scale? If my parents made 40k a year combined am I only repsonible for 60% of my decisions? Is someone's parents make less than 30k do they get 20% shaved off of a prison sentence because it is not totally their fault for committing a crime but partially spirits fault?

A Christian country would be based around someone choosing for themself to help their fellow man, not compulsory taking and then redistribution.

Old 11-06-2015, 04:25 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,589,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post

Oakland just needs to build more housing. Off the top of my head, there are two projects for 406 units in West Oakland, seven projects for 1,427 units in Uptown, 350 units at Lake Merritt, and 3,100 at Brooklyn Basin. That's enough to satiate demand.

Old 11-06-2015, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen1110 View Post
Oakland just needs to build more housing. Off the top of my head, there are two projects for 406 units in West Oakland, seven projects for 1,427 units in Uptown, 350 units at Lake Merritt, and 3,100 at Brooklyn Basin. That's enough to satiate demand.
That's not even close to enough to feed demand. We have had decades of no growth policy in the Bay Area. 5k units over 2-3 years isn't going to fix things (it is a good start, don't get me wrong). Oakland would need 10k units just to keep up with growth, let alone relieve pressure from the lack of growth.

Just a little perspective about how bad this state is in re to housing supply, Houston has adding more units of housing over the last decade or so than the entire state of California.
http://www.bloomberg.com/bw/articles...-of-california

Old 11-06-2015, 04:28 PM

6,402 posts, read 8,230,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
What income level determine when someone should be responsible for their actions? Is it a sliding scale? If my parents made 40k a year combined am I only repsonible for 60% of my decisions? Is someone's parents make less than 30k do they get 20% shaved off of a prison sentence because it is not totally their fault for committing a crime but partially spirits fault?

A Christian country would be based around someone choosing for themself to help their fellow man, not compulsory taking and then redistribution.
According to you, the market will just correct the situation. Too bad that's not at all true and not at all based on logic or science.

Old 11-06-2015, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
According to you, the market will just correct the situation. Too bad that's not at all true and not at all based on logic or science.
For the market to correct itself it would actually have to be a free market, we haven't had a free market for over 100 years. The last thing housing can be described as is a free market, nice try though.

Old 11-06-2015, 04:58 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,982,056 times
The reason why the Bay Area region is unaffordable as a whole is mostly due to the lack of housing being built. SF Bay Area is unique in that it is oddly very liberal, and yet at the same time extremely against new housing being built.

There is also a smaller effect of the sunshine tax. Many people enjoy the weather in CA in almost any area and so would desire to live in CA whereas outer lying areas of NY are not as desirable due to weather.

Old 11-06-2015, 05:15 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,543,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen1110 View Post
You would need to have 10 times that much construction, plus the same rate of growth happening concurrently in every other city in the Bay Area, to even come close to satiating the pent up demand for housing in this region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland