Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 01:50 PM

1,054 posts, read 2,147,468 times

Advertisements

Once again, I am proven right:

Black Man Asks Woman For Phone Number In Oakland, She Posts Flyer About It And Calls Cops: SFist

There is an epidemic of racial profiling in Oakland (and in the Bay Area in general), on all levels.

People don't post warning flyers of "strange" black men talking to white women in "tolerant", "integrated" cities.

Is Oakland turning into Mobile, Alabama? lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 02:04 PM

540 posts, read 648,500 times
Typical suburban, urban transplant.

Old 11-04-2015, 06:44 PM

6,400 posts, read 8,225,777 times
So today one of my former roommates from the house I used to live in in West Oakland told me the landlord has decided to sell the house, which means she and the rest of her roommates are pretty much SOL. She's lived there for nearly 10 years and is a preschool teacher. Her options are moving back in with her parents in Sacramento or getting lucky and finding a similar house with low rent. You hear stories like this all the time in SF, but this hits pretty close to home for me. If I were a few years younger and still finishing up school at SFSU, I'd be pretty screwed, along with her and the other people living in the house. FWIW, all of her roommates are working class and the opportunity to find a similar situation is pretty slim. If it matters, none of them are white.

Sure, racism is alive and well in the Bay Area. It exists everywhere. But let's be real. These are hardworking, good people and they're being forced out of their home because their landlord is deciding to cash in. I'm sure racism is the last thing on any of their minds right now as far as their problems of living in Oakland are concerned...

Old 11-04-2015, 06:52 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,768,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
So today one of my former roommates from the house I used to live in in West Oakland told me the landlord has decided to sell the house, which means she and the rest of her roommates are pretty much SOL. She's lived there for nearly 10 years and is a preschool teacher. Her options are moving back in with her parents in Sacramento or getting lucky and finding a similar house with low rent. You hear stories like this all the time in SF, but this hits pretty close to home for me. If I were a few years younger and still finishing up school at SFSU, I'd be pretty screwed, along with her and the other people living in the house. FWIW, all of her roommates are working class and the opportunity to find a similar situation is pretty slim. If it matters, none of them are white.

Sure, racism is alive and well in the Bay Area. It exists everywhere. But let's be real. These are hardworking, good people and they're being forced out of their home because their landlord is deciding to cash in. I'm sure racism is the last thing on any of their minds right now as far as their problems of living in Oakland are concerned...
Renting time in a house owned by someone else does not give you the right to stay in said home.

If you want to peace of mind of not worrying about not having to find another place to live then buy a house/condo and you get all the benefits (like having a fixed payment without being evicted and the value of the house going up) and draw backs (having to pay for repairs and the chance the value of said property might decrease).

Old 11-04-2015, 07:12 PM

520 posts, read 605,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Renting time in a house owned by someone else does not give you the right to stay in said home.

If you want to peace of mind of not worrying about not having to find another place to live then buy a house/condo and you get all the benefits (like having a fixed payment without being evicted and the value of the house going up) and draw backs (having to pay for repairs and the chance the value of said property might decrease).
Yeah, but people living with roommates generally can't afford to buy a place. Peace of mind is expensive. What do kindergarten teachers and others like them do? Here's a story where teachers in Richmond say they can barely afford rent in Richmond: West Contra Costa school district, teachers to continue salary negotiations | Richmond Confidential If it's that bad in Richmond, which is still pretty cheap, it's even worse in Oakland and elsewhere.

Old 11-04-2015, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post

Who said anything about having a "right" to stay in the home? All I said is that it sucks for the people involved.

Your lack of empathy and blasé attitude towards decent hard working people is pretty revealing. I honestly feel sorry for you.

Old 11-04-2015, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashystyle View Post
Yeah, but people living with roommates generally can't afford to buy a place. Peace of mind is expensive. What do kindergarten teachers and others like them do? Here's a story where teachers in Richmond say they can barely afford rent in Richmond: West Contra Costa school district, teachers to continue salary negotiations | Richmond Confidential If it's that bad in Richmond, which is still pretty cheap, it's even worse in Oakland and elsewhere.
That is what happens when you choose a field that pays very little. Everyone wants to teach young kids, thus the pay is low. Very few teachers want to teach stem in high school, thus the pay is higher.

No job or field garuntees a standard of living. I have a friend that bought a house while working as a stock clerk at bed bath and beyond. The house was in a bad area and she has to rent rooms to pay the bills, but her costs are fixed and doesn't have those problems. It would be cheaper to rent for her, the teacher could do the same thing, but chose to spend that money on other things. Saving money is not about how much you earn, but how much you save.

Old 11-04-2015, 09:41 PM

So your solution for all parties involved is to go back in time and pick different professions? Really great advice.

Old 11-04-2015, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Who said anything about having a "right" to stay in the home? All I said is that it sucks for the people involved.

Your lack of empathy and blasé attitude towards decent hard working people is pretty revealing. I honestly feel sorry for you.
You are saying people are forced out of their home like it was actually their home. Renting does not give one security beyond the lease signed and the laws on the books.

I don't have much empathy for those not able to plan for reasonable life events. When you are paying below market rate rent it is a very foreseeable to predict having to pay more in the future. It feel sorry for people who suffer unforeseeable acts like birth defeats in children or someone getting hit by a drunk driver, not someone who thinks a sweet deal will last forever.

Old 11-04-2015, 09:52 PM

Quote:
So your solution for all parties involved is to go back in time and pick different professions? Really great advice.

Billions of dollars are spent on job training.

Maybe your friends will benefit
Careers and Career Information - CareerOneStop

Making positive change in ones life requires taking ownsership for ones decisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland