U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2015, 05:30 PM

16 posts, read 9,717 times

Advertisements

Dear City Data Forum,
Hope everyone's doing well! I've just stumbled into one of the unluckiest fortunes here in Ohio. The roommates that I was assigned to split rent with are having a no show and I have a few thousand dollars saved up. I live here in the north/east in Ohio where the rent is really cheap and so is the pay.

I'm more of an open mind free thinker type of guy and it's coming to the point where I will have to take the whole load $1,000/mo of my 6 bedroom house to myself. I am thinking of possibly just breaking the lease and instead moving to a city where I know it will benefit more from my skills in photography, graphic design and technology. After all, I did study computer science in college.

I've spoken to a few friends in San Francisco and they really don't have much help as far as housing can give me.

Would it be safe to just move there and then find places that's cheap to stay and just go job hunting for about a week or two then land a job?

Just wanted to see what I should be expecting. Or if anyone can give me advice.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2015, 05:31 PM

5,477 posts, read 6,844,789 times
Horrible idea. Don't do it. Thank me and everyone else who says the same thing later.

Old 11-13-2015, 05:33 PM

16 posts, read 9,717 times
How so? Please explain.

I heard SF was really a good positive nurturing environment where your ideas can run wild type of deal.

Old 11-13-2015, 05:42 PM

179 posts, read 223,797 times
No don't do it. Either you will have to move into an expensive roommate situation, stay in a shelter or move into a bed bug infested SRO. If I were you I'd take my chances where u are for the near future and find some boarders.

Old 11-13-2015, 05:45 PM

2,240 posts, read 2,489,334 times
Go there without any kind of a plan, and you'll more than likely end up becoming one of the horde of homeless people there. At least you can ride the BART to get some sleep without fear of being mugged in the Tenderloin District.

Old 11-13-2015, 05:56 PM

2,052 posts, read 1,442,201 times
That plan or lack of has a high probability for failure.

Old 11-13-2015, 06:25 PM

371 posts, read 278,969 times
SF and the whole bay area is rough to survive even with a plan. Im not sure how some folks do it.

I lived right next door to sf over summer and am moving back soon for work. But its not easy. Job competition is big here and unless you are a really good candidate companiescan afford to keep looking. I made it as the final candidate for a job...they wanted someone more entry level so they relisted the position.

I guess you could be homeless...but that's nothing to aspire to.

Buckle down, research, and have a job that pays enough before moving here. If sf is really in your heart you can move somewherenearby (sac for example) so you can beclose enough for in person interviews. But still try to get a job and access to a toilet and shower lined up beforehand

Good luck!

Old 11-13-2015, 06:31 PM

2,753 posts, read 5,165,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyriatraveler View Post
How so? Please explain.

I heard SF was really a good positive nurturing environment where your ideas can run wild type of deal.
It used to be like that in the 1970's and 1980's. Now bring $3400/month for a junky 1 br apartment. Your $1000/month might get you a small room in a bad part of SF.

Old 11-13-2015, 06:52 PM

12,824 posts, read 21,324,096 times
No.

Old 11-13-2015, 06:59 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,063,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyriatraveler View Post
How so? Please explain.

That was 20-30 years ago. Now you have to practically win the lottery to find a roommate situation for $1,000 a month and hope it's not in the worst area of town. When you're competing against people who can write a check for the first 6 months of rent or more up front, moving to THE MOST EXPENSIVE CITY IN THE US (caps for effect...duh), that you're really committing financial suicide by moving here without a job. Prepare to consider yourself homeless if you try it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or