Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 08:52 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,233,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgnmx View Post
As an east coaster I didn't notice any such "east coast accent". Don't flatter yourselves
Who said anything about flattering? Don't go tooting your own horn now

Plus, it's not like we forced those people to think we sounded like we were from "the east coast" (never a specific locale, just "east coast"). For the record though, the people who thought i was from the east coast were from Oregon and California themselves. If we're to believe actual research that's been done on this, us SFers with any sort of an accent probably sound more like people from somewhere in the midwest than anywhere on the east coast.

But i stand by my claim that we mostly just sound like anyone else from northern California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 09:01 PM

326 posts, read 688,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
Who said anything about flattering?
I did

Old 04-27-2011, 09:18 PM
rah

Quote:
I did
yes, i know. Allow me to be more clear: who said anything about an east coast accent being something to be flattered about?

Old 04-27-2011, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
yes, i know. Allow me to be more clear: who said anything about an east coast accent being something to be flattered about?
Me, and I'll toot whatever horn I please. anything else?

Old 04-27-2011, 10:30 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,126,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
I saw a Charlie Rose interview of Richard Serra, the sculptor, who was born in 1939 and raised in San Francisco. He kept saying "drawring" over and over, as well as saying "fer sure" a lot. Jerry Brown has that kind of accent too where you drop r's sometimes or put them in places they don't belong like "drawring."
I know Serras brother. My family came here from Boston when they were just 1 Yr old but the parents accents affected their speech. Warshington.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:45 PM
rah

Quote:
Me, and I'll toot whatever horn I please. anything else?
Ok, have fun. Leave it to a self-absorbed east-coaster to take offense at a comment that's obviously poking harmless fun at them. Yes get upset that not everyone considers an "east coast" accent something to be envious of

And how many times have east coast people claimed that west coast people don't "get" sarcasm? Yet it constantly goes over their own heads, lol

Old 04-28-2011, 03:34 PM

hahahaha seems to me you're the one taking offense. i couldn't care less

Old 02-28-2012, 10:13 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times
Some of the actors from those old police shows from the 60's and 70's filmed in San Francisco sound like Brooklyn, New Yorkers to me.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:46 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
Some of the actors from those old police shows from the 60's and 70's filmed in San Francisco sound like Brooklyn, New Yorkers to me.
Because they are / were NYers.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:23 PM

14 posts, read 19,248 times
I think there probably used to be a real SF accent, back when the majority of the city's residents were from the Midwest (or Europe by way of the Midwest), but I personally don't hear anything like a discernible accent today. Somewhat ironically, many people born and raised in San Francisco nowadays are actually the children of immigrants (from Asia and Mexico/Central America mostly), and as such, they may speak differently from those of other ethnic/national backgrounds, further diluting any real standard accent.

I'd say people born and raised in SF probably talk a bit faster than their counterparts across the Bay or elsewhere on the West Coast, as San Francisco is a denser city that in certain ways feels more like an East Coast city than anywhere else in California. For this reason the accent could be perceived by other Westerners as sounding a bit Eastern, but I imagine an Easterner would say San Franciscans sound like other Californians--that is, slow and with sort of a drawl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland