Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 04:46 PM

540 posts, read 652,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlasTraveler View Post
it's FAR. That is why. Ever done that commute on BART? I'd prefer not to do 3+ hours a week commuting for a job... might as well just move to LA area or SD or Sac...
3+ Hours? Yeah you've never gone out to Concord. It can take an hour just to get from the Richmond district to downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2016, 09:03 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,222,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageCats View Post
I saw a house in Concord Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site that looks beautiful and seems to be in a decent neighborhood. It's going for $550K. Closer to the bay, that home would go for at least $1M in Fremont. Why is Concord so inexpensive? It's not "ghetto", as you head south closer to Walnut Creek, the neighborhood seems nicer, crime is a similar rate to north San Jose... so, aside from the school system not being good, what gives?
Beautiful? In the eye of beholder so no comment on that issue. However, consider these points:

-It has mediocre landscaping in front, and basically non-existent landscaping in back
-could use some refreshing/reno to lighten and brighten (Complete with the 70s cabinets, counters, fixtures, in most of the house) although it appears that they updated one of the bathrooms and the laundry room and they seem to have put in some kind of flooring material in portions of the house but not others (I saw at least 4 different flooring surfaces...seems kind of weird).

So that seems just like $550K is asking a lot seeing as how you could put 100K into just the interior plus doing the landscaping will cost you $$ too.

And that being said, I think its nuts that these 60's era ranchers, only marginally updated, are going for these prices (and above!)...if I were you I would sit this bubble out and pick up a place like that when the market is cratering...probably get that place for $300K in a couple years.

Last edited by Yac; 09-13-2018 at 05:42 AM..

Old 01-11-2016, 10:13 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,136,249 times
Why is Concord inexpensive compared to other cities nearby?

Too hot.
Too ghetto.
Far from San Francisco and job centers.

Old 01-11-2016, 10:22 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,631,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post

Too hot.
Too ghetto.
Well that certainly explains why cities like Walnut Creek, Danville, Alamo, etc..are so cheap too.....

Old 01-12-2016, 07:00 AM

522 posts, read 736,197 times
Quote:

Too hot.
Too ghetto.
Too Hot: That's a opinion thing.

Too Ghetto? Concord has one of the lowest crime rates for a city of its size in the Bay Area. Why are people so scared of Latinos?

During peak traffic Concord is about an hour drive from Downtown SF, and about 30 from downtown Oakland. (Traffic peaks in West Oakland towards the bridge)

Concord has two Bart stations, and if you decide to take Bart downtown Oakland is less than 20 mins away and Downtown SF is roughly a 35 min commute. What are you talking about in other words? People love to exaggerate it seems. I guess whatever makes them feel justified in having a 3k mortgage for a home that is only 1200k sq. feet.

Old 01-12-2016, 07:04 AM

522 posts, read 736,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlasTraveler View Post
it's FAR. That is why. Ever done that commute on BART? I'd prefer not to do 3+ hours a week commuting for a job... might as well just move to LA area or SD or Sac...
Concord is 29 miles east of SF and 20 miles east of Oakland. iT's roughly the same distance as Hayward.

Old 01-12-2016, 07:23 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,136,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelatedTherapy View Post
Too Hot: That's a opinion thing.

Too Ghetto? Concord has one of the lowest crime rates for a city of its size in the Bay Area. Why are people so scared of Latinos?

During peak traffic Concord is about an hour drive from Downtown SF, and about 30 from downtown Oakland. (Traffic peaks in West Oakland towards the bridge)

Concord has two Bart stations, and if you decide to take Bart downtown Oakland is less than 20 mins away and Downtown SF is roughly a 35 min commute. What are you talking about in other words? People love to exaggerate it seems. I guess whatever makes them feel justified in having a 3k mortgage for a home that is only 1200k sq. feet.
The too ghetto thing is indeed an exaggeration. Nonetheless, Concord is less desirable than many of its neighbors and it's hardly a secret.

Old 01-15-2016, 12:21 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,134,844 times
I won't go there because I have a crazy obsessive ex-convict ex who lives there (actually in Martinez, but he hangs out in Concord a lot). Had to change all my contact info to get away from him, and certainly don't want to risk bumping into him.

If it weren't for that, I'd have absolutely considered living there.

Old 02-01-2024, 10:44 AM

7 posts, read 2,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisaro TMF View Post
3+ Hours? Yeah you've never gone out to Concord. It can take an hour just to get from the Richmond district to downtown.
Been there, done that 37 Geary bus for several years. Faster if you catch the Express. lol

Old 02-01-2024, 10:50 AM

7 posts, read 2,060 times
Quote:
The too ghetto thing is indeed an exaggeration. Nonetheless, Concord is less desirable than many of its neighbors and it's hardly a secret.
Having been born and raised in Oakland and recently worked there, Concord is better if you live around the Turtle Creek area. At least no one is trying to close a burger joint due to crime in Concord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland