Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 03:24 PM

1,099 posts, read 900,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
And I'm sure people who were around in the 1920's were saying the same thing about the 1960's people. It's NOT YOUR town or anyone else's. Places change overtime, some people don't understand this. I promise San Francisco will be different 50 years from now too.
I'm sure they were as far as some of the financial aspects. Whether or not they are saying it in regards to the rudeness, snootiness, and lack of a soul is debatable. It is the town I grew up in, so YES, it is my town (sorry if that bothers you). That's called being a native.

Native: adjective

1. being the place or environment in which a person was born or a thing came into being:
one's native land.

2. belonging to a person by birth or to a thing by nature; inherent:

Old 01-13-2016, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
I agree, it has become a very negative environment. It's become the melting pot between right and wrong, good and bad, healthy and unhealthy. The only good thing about that place are some of the childhood memories from years gone by. But realize, there is life after San Fran.
I think this thread has become exactly what you're referring to.

And Chuck, your comment hit the nail on the head also (I especially like your first paragraph). But I also think you need to ask what burdens are being put on employers that have led to the higher salaries.

Last edited by bodyforlife99; 01-13-2016 at 03:48 PM..

Old 01-13-2016, 04:06 PM

484 posts, read 821,938 times
I tend to agree with the OP that you come across a lot of blatantly rude people in SF these days, and often in businesses where you're the customer. I travel around the West Coast a fair amount and am always struck by how much more down-to-earth and friendly people are in other areas. I continue to hope that the tech industry will collapse and that the techies and Millennial twits will clear out.

Old 01-13-2016, 04:26 PM

540 posts, read 652,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legal_eagle View Post
I tend to agree with the OP that you come across a lot of blatantly rude people in SF these days, and often in businesses where you're the customer. I travel around the West Coast a fair amount and am always struck by how much more down-to-earth and friendly people are in other areas. I continue to hope that the tech industry will collapse and that the techies and Millennial twits will clear out.
San Francisco is a mix of transplants, so "people in other area's" are who's flocking to San Francisco.

Old 01-13-2016, 04:28 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
There will always be twits as long as there are teens and young adults. Every generation has those. There are also people in those age groups who are responsible, resourceful, mature, and very intelligent. All the millennials I know personally fall into the latter group, and most of them are in the Bay Area. Sorry you've had experience otherwise. Try not to paint an entire generation with the same brush.

Old 01-13-2016, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
There will always be twits as long as there are teens and young adults. Every generation has those. There are also people in those age groups who are responsible, resourceful, mature, and very intelligent. All the millennials I know personally fall into the latter group, and most of them are in the Bay Area. Sorry you've had experience otherwise. Try not to paint an entire generation with the same brush.
Yes Ruth, you are right. It's not fair to generalize in that way. With that said, I am finding it harder and harder not to. Without exaggerating, I would say at least 65-70% of that age group that I have experienced are indeed entitled twits (again, just my own experience). I wish I could have taken you to a gym I used to belong to in the city so you could experience exactly what I was talking about. The group that came in from 6-8 in the morning were in the age range of 45-65. They worked well and played well together, extending every courtesy. Then the GM starting going nuts on corporate membership. Enter the Millennials from all the tech companies from 6-8:30pm (average age now in the low 20s to 30s). One fight after another, no one works in with them on equipment...they'll let you know when they're done using it. No cellphone policy...forget about it...that policy is for everyone but them. 5mph speed limit in the garage...not for them! Check in at the front desk on the way in...not if there's one or two people in line...those rules are for others. Pick up their towel in the locker room...nope, that's what the help's there for.

Now take that example and extend it to other public behavior and you'll understand what I'm experiencing. Btw, the Yelp reviews of my ex-club mirror every comment I made. And yet, you'll get people like an earlier poster here that wants to blame natives for the way things are. Sorry, don't think so. I wasn't brought up that way Ruth, and I'm guessing you weren't either.

Old 01-13-2016, 05:03 PM

484 posts, read 821,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyforlife99 View Post
Yes Ruth, you are right. It's not fair to generalize in that way. With that said, I am finding it harder and harder not to. Without exaggerating, I would say at least 65-70% of that age group that I have experienced are indeed entitled twits (again, just my own experience). I wish I could have taken you to a gym I used to belong to in the city so you could experience exactly what I was talking about. The group that came in from 6-8 in the morning were in the age range of 45-65. They worked well and played well together, extending every courtesy. Then the GM starting going nuts on corporate membership. Enter the Millennials from all the tech companies from 6-8:30pm (average age now in the low 20s to 30s). One fight after another, no one works in with them on equipment...they'll let you know when they're done using it. No cellphone policy...forget about it...that policy is for everyone but them. 5mph speed limit in the garage...not for them! Check in at the front desk on the way in...not if there's one or two people in line...those rules are for others. Pick up their towel in the locker room...nope, that's what the help's there for.

Now take that example and extend it to other public behavior and you'll understand what I'm experiencing. Btw, the Yelp reviews of my ex-club mirror every comment I made. And yet, you'll get people like an earlier poster here that wants to blame natives for the way things are. Sorry, don't think so.
I agree with your sentiments as well as Ruth4truth's in terms of trying not to overgeneralize. But the entitled self-involvement of the Millennials is a common theme these days (Exhibit A: the Arizona sorority "selfie girls.") Unfortunately my generation of parents failed, in our desire not to be as disconnected as our parents were with us, to impress upon our kids that they are not the center the universe. Hopefully they will mature out of this phase.

As for different areas, I was in Portland last week for work and to a person was treated with respect and real kindness by the different merchants and others that I interacted with. I also find that to be the case when I see my family in the OC. People in Tucson were great as well when I was there two years ago. But more often than not customer-service people in SF at places such as Peet's or (yep) the gym are indifferent and borderline hostile at having to serve other people. I think it's definitely a Bay Area and SF in particular thing on the West Coast.

Old 01-13-2016, 05:09 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,905,438 times
Quote:

Now take that example and extend it to other public behavior and you'll understand what I'm experiencing. Btw, the Yelp reviews of my ex-club mirror every comment I made. And yet, you'll get people like an earlier poster here that wants to blame natives for the way things are. Sorry, don't think so. I wasn't brought up that way Ruth, and I'm guessing you weren't either.
As a millennial (I think?) who recognizes that, like with every generation, we have selfish and self-absorbed people in it, I suggest you take your own advice:

Quote:
I would think that's a pretty sweeping generalization which isn't completely true (most stereotypes aren't).
Those damned millennials...

By the way, I agree with some of what you're saying. But, like with anything, we do have to embrace change. Otherwise we end up with what we have in SF now (something that feels, in many ways, stuck in 1965/1970, but is out of reach economically for the majority of people (yes, even those millennial twits)).

Honestly, to save SF today, we would have had to have a slow and steady amount of growth over the last 30 years. Instead, we got virtually nothing. The little that we're seeing now will do nothing to stem the issues facing the city of SF (or the Bay Area in general). It is what it is, unfortunately.

Old 01-13-2016, 05:13 PM

Quote:
I agree with your sentiments as well as Ruth4truth's in terms of trying not to overgeneralize. But the entitled self-involvement of the Millennials is a common theme these days (Exhibit A: the Arizona sorority "selfie girls.") Unfortunately my generation of parents failed, in our desire not to be as disconnected as our parents were with us, to impress upon our kids that they are not the center the universe. Hopefully they will mature out of this phase.

As for different areas, I was in Portland last week for work and to a person was treated with respect and real kindness by the different merchants and others that I interacted with. I also find that to be the case when I see my family in the OC. People in Tucson were great as well when I was there two years ago. But more often than not customer-service people in SF at places such as Peet's or (yep) the gym are indifferent and borderline hostile at having to serve other people. I think it's definitely a Bay Area and SF in particular thing on the West Coast.
I guess I don't get it because my children are 27 and 31 and neither one of them act like this. I find it hard to believe that we are such different parents than everyone else, but maybe we are.

Old 01-13-2016, 05:15 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,905,438 times
Quote:

It couldn't, you know, be a money thing? I mean, it has to be a generation thing...right?

And let's not pretend that previous generations didn't have their issues playing nice with older folks or grating on their nerves. Today we have other means to push forth our narcissism (and it's hard to avoid it since we have things like FB, Twitter, Instagram, etc. blasting this stuff everywhere) - but I think it's a tad unfair to assume that other generations didn't have similar types of personalities.

The "when I was youngster" stuff is just nonsense that clogs up the thread.

I find the discussion of the change of SF (and cities in general) interesting, and love delving into the "why" - I'd imagine the conversation would be more meaningful if kept there as opposed to the "young people vs. old people" thing that's frankly been a debate for...well, ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland