Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 09:53 AM

38 posts, read 41,163 times

Advertisements

We signed with a realtor last night to list our home... Been in our home since 2000.. in the Bay Area since 1992... I've lived in Campbell, Redwood City, San Francisco, Alameda and finally Hayward.

I didn't think I'd be so emotional about it... This has been home for so long and I love it here.. When realtor left last night, I got all teary eyed thinking about how much fun we've had... how many friends we are leaving behind...

The Bay Area is awesome.. The people.. The weather.. Always something happening... The scenery and beauty is also amazing... I don't have any clue how people can afford to move here now, though. So expensive either to rent or buy.

On the upside, we will get nearly double for the house, we can both work remotely and already have a vacation home in the Palm Springs area.. and we will be ready to retire in a couple more years.. making some $$$ on the house will help with that. So, we figured it was time... Can't help but feel a little sad tho...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2016, 10:20 AM

1,185 posts, read 1,502,989 times
You are one of the lucky ones. Congratulations!

Old 01-22-2016, 10:38 AM

36,656 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Awww good for you.

In about 25 years I plan on retiring also, but Im fairly certain that I'm staying in this house...my kids should be married and graduated from college by then so I'll be ready to spend most of my time on travel and charitable causes and hopefully spoiling grandchildren by then...Im looking forward.

Old 01-22-2016, 10:51 AM

901 posts, read 1,167,720 times
Yep, you're one of the lucky ones. Congratulations! And people who buy right now think they're going to make out as well as you - but as they say in investing, past returns are no guarantee of future performance.

Old 01-22-2016, 10:59 AM

781 posts, read 743,937 times
You are wise to cash out now, who knows what will happen in the future with the market.

Enjoy Palm Springs, it's beautiful there!

Old 01-22-2016, 11:00 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck5000 View Post
Yep, you're one of the lucky ones. Congratulations! And people who buy right now think they're going to make out as well as you - but as they say in investing, past returns are no guarantee of future performance.
You know some people around here actually buy houses to simply live in and aren't thinking about how much they're going to make off of it in the future.

Old 01-22-2016, 11:38 AM

901 posts, read 1,167,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
You know some people around here actually buy houses to simply live in and aren't thinking about how much they're going to make off of it in the future.
Umm, duh. I would be one of them, when the time comes. I was referring to the commonly held and expressed belief that real estate is a "can't miss" investment in the Bay Area, whereas it has been for parts of a 25 year period, and may be for periods in the future, but in no way is guaranteed to be forever. I.e. the Erie Canal once made some cities rich and seemingly invulnerable, and other silicon valleys are springing up, just give them 10 or 20 years. I hear these sentiments expressed all the time, by many, maybe a majority of people. Regardless, it's a huge number.

Was something like that too difficult to infer?

Old 01-22-2016, 11:40 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,664,766 times
that's what my plan is when I retire. Bought in 2011 worth double what we paid now. I can retire in about 10 years at 52 gonna buy a house or two out of state in the near future for rentals then retire and move into one of them.

Old 01-22-2016, 11:42 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck5000 View Post
Umm, duh. I would be one of them, when the time comes. I was referring to the commonly held and expressed belief that real estate is a "can't miss" investment in the Bay Area, whereas it has been for parts of a 25 year period, and may be for periods in the future, but in no way is guaranteed to be forever. I.e. the Erie Canal once made some cities rich and seemingly invulnerable, and other silicon valleys are springing up, just give them 10 or 20 years. I hear these sentiments expressed all the time, by many, maybe a majority of people. Regardless, it's a huge number.

Was something like that too difficult to infer?
You just seem to constantly mention something along those lines when the topic of housing/purchasing comes up.

Old 01-22-2016, 11:44 AM

816 posts, read 968,016 times
OP ,

congratz, care to share your retirement plans and finances?
Curious how you see your cash flows in the future. Whats your retirement strategy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland