Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 11:22 PM

36,658 posts, read 67,519,268 times

Advertisements

Sorry but 'Oracle' is much better imo.

New Golden State Warriors arena to be Chase Center - Domain Name Wire | Domain Name News & Views
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 11:42 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,651,109 times
Not a bad name, too bad it couldn't be a Bay Area company though. Plus the nickname "Roaracle" is kind of cool although I doubt the new arena will be as loud or deserving of that nickname anyways.

Old 01-26-2016, 12:29 AM

3,814 posts, read 4,010,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Not a bad name, too bad it couldn't be a Bay Area company though. Plus the nickname "Roaracle" is kind of cool although I doubt the new arena will be as loud or deserving of that nickname anyways.

Why do you doubt this?

Old 01-26-2016, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Why do you doubt this?
It will basically be Staples Center North/AT&T park-ish. Full of corporate season ticket holders and people there for the "scene" imo. Even now I can tell a difference than from a few years ago with the crowd, the really high prices have changed the atmosphere somewhat imo, a tad more tame/yuppie/bandwagony. Granted a lot of the games tend to be blowouts but still....

Old 01-26-2016, 01:03 AM

Quote:
It will basically be Staples Center North/AT&T park-ish. Full of corporate season ticket holders and people there for the "scene" imo. Even now I can tell a difference than from a few years ago with the crowd, the really high prices have changed the atmosphere somewhat imo, a tad more tame/yuppie/bandwagony. Granted a lot of the games tend to be blowouts but still....
LoL celebs will never go to any SF bay sports venue for the "scene". Maybe tech bros and tech brides - celebs in their own mind.

Noise really comes from a large crowd (obviously) and stadium design. Think Allen Field House at KU.

The biggest changed I have noticed is that the team is winning so now the Warriors have fans. When the Lakers were good, they would come up to Oakland and it was basically a home game

Old 01-26-2016, 01:47 AM

Quote:
LoL celebs will never go to any SF bay sports venue for the "scene". Maybe tech bros and tech brides - celebs in their own mind.

Noise really comes from a large crowd (obviously) and stadium design. Think Allen Field House at KU.

The biggest changed I have noticed is that the team is winning so now the Warriors have fans. When the Lakers were good, they would come up to Oakland and it was basically a home game
I wasn't really referring to "celebs" although that is clearly part of the Lakers Staple Center experience. Just wealthy people who go for the scene or because they were given tickets by their company like AT&T Park.Yeah it probably will be a bunch of overpaid transplant tech bro's and lame as hell imo. Even longtime Giants fans from the Stick complain about the AT&T crowd. But they have been getting some celebs lately (Drake for example) and as how much the Bay Area claims to not care about celebs they sure do report about it in the media whenever it happens lol. It is a different design though, Oracle's roof is really low and slopes down with only one level of luxury boxes so it's more intimate and probably gets louder because of it.

Not just a large crowd but one that is loud. I've been to a lot of Lakers games (regular and post-season) at Staples and love the arena and experience but it definitely is a more subdued scene than Oracle when it comes to intensity and "passion", less so now and I say this as someone that likes the Lakers and Kobe (not a Warriors fan but have been to a ton of games because I get free tickets). Angels have pretty high attendance at games but they are such a quiet, lame, and lackluster fanbase at games. The upper levels of Staples is more colorful and rowdy but they're so high up (above 3 levels of luxury boxes).

Warriors always had loud, rowdy fans that attended games but yes now they have a lot of bandwagon fans, some of which actually go to games now and that is why I think it's a little bit more subdued. My friends have always been die-hard Warriors fans and have been going to games no matter how bad they were and even they get annoyed with the bandwagon.

I went to the Lakers-Warriors game the other week and it was definitely far less Lakers fans than years past but they had a great tribute (from Jerry West) to him and chanted "Kobe! Kobe!" several times. Warriors fans gave respect to him. It was always at least 50/50 before but now was probably 70/30.

Old 01-26-2016, 09:18 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:

I think the noise comes from level of engagement with the team. KU fans are diehard, and diehard-ness = noise. When the new stadium opens up it is going to be even less accessible to the diehards, and people will just go for the scene or because they joined the bandwagon. Engagement will decrease significantly.

Old 01-26-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
I wasn't really referring to "celebs" although that is clearly part of the Lakers Staple Center experience. Just wealthy people who go for the scene or because they were given tickets by their company like AT&T Park.Yeah it probably will be a bunch of overpaid transplant tech bro's and lame as hell imo. Even longtime Giants fans from the Stick complain about the AT&T crowd. But they have been getting some celebs lately (Drake for example) and as how much the Bay Area claims to not care about celebs they sure do report about it in the media whenever it happens lol. It is a different design though, Oracle's roof is really low and slopes down with only one level of luxury boxes so it's more intimate and probably gets louder because of it.

Not just a large crowd but one that is loud. I've been to a lot of Lakers games (regular and post-season) at Staples and love the arena and experience but it definitely is a more subdued scene than Oracle when it comes to intensity and "passion", less so now and I say this as someone that likes the Lakers and Kobe (not a Warriors fan but have been to a ton of games because I get free tickets). Angels have pretty high attendance at games but they are such a quiet, lame, and lackluster fanbase at games. The upper levels of Staples is more colorful and rowdy but they're so high up (above 3 levels of luxury boxes).

Warriors always had loud, rowdy fans that attended games but yes now they have a lot of bandwagon fans, some of which actually go to games now and that is why I think it's a little bit more subdued. My friends have always been die-hard Warriors fans and have been going to games no matter how bad they were and even they get annoyed with the bandwagon.

I went to the Lakers-Warriors game the other week and it was definitely far less Lakers fans than years past but they had a great tribute (from Jerry West) to him and chanted "Kobe! Kobe!" several times. Warriors fans gave respect to him. It was always at least 50/50 before but now was probably 70/30.
You make some great points, in general So Cal fans are much less rowdy. It is becoming more tame in the bay as well, as the ghetto element gets priced out of the venues. The fans are really just much less ghetto than in the past and will be way less ghetto once the team moves to SF.

Can't speak on the new stadium design tho, have not cared enough to check it out.

Old 01-26-2016, 12:53 PM

Quote:
You make some great points, in general So Cal fans are much less rowdy. It is becoming more tame in the bay as well, as the ghetto element gets priced out of the venues. The fans are really just much less ghetto than in the past and will be way less ghetto once the team moves to SF.

Can't speak on the new stadium design tho, have not cared enough to check it out.
I was talking about the current design of Oracle that probably helps make it loud. I don't think they have any interior renderings of the new arena yet but my guess it will have at least 2 levels of luxury suites, maybe even 3 like Staples. They're going to want to maximize how many luxury boxes they can fit in. Another reason I don't think it will be as loud and rowdy, less intimate and it will put the cheaper seats even farther away from the court.

Old 01-26-2016, 01:19 PM

Quote:
I was talking about the current design of Oracle that probably helps make it loud. I don't think they have any interior renderings of the new arena yet but my guess it will have at least 2 levels of luxury suites, maybe even 3 like Staples. They're going to want to maximize how many luxury boxes they can fit in. Another reason I don't think it will be as loud and rowdy, less intimate and it will put the cheaper seats even farther away from the court.
Was it true that courtside seats last night where going for 21k??????

It is like sports teams don't even need fans, just need to sell half the luxury accomodations
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
View detailed profiles of: