U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 10:00 PM

30,998 posts, read 13,564,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Why not ship all these people back to fly over country where they came from? You can't even give houses away in Detroit. They have lots in Chicago selling for 5$. FIVE BUCKS!!!!!
Chicago to sell 306 more lots for $1 - Chicago Tribune
This country has plenty of housing to spare.
I already posted this twice, 71% of them are from San Francisco, they have nowhere for you to ship them back to. And I doubt if Chicago would allow the homeless to pitch tents on those $1 lots - but even if they did, the devil is in the details (from your link)

To buy a vacant parcel, an applicant must already own property on the same block, be current on property taxes and have no outstanding debts to the city, like parking tickets or water bills, among other requirements. Each property is sold "as-is" via a quit claim deed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2016, 10:07 PM

3,558 posts, read 2,579,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I already posted this twice, 71% of them are from San Francisco, they have nowhere for you to ship them back to. And I doubt if Chicago would allow the homeless to pitch tents on those $1 lots - but even if they did, the devil is in the details (from your link)

To buy a vacant parcel, an applicant must already own property on the same block, be current on property taxes and have no outstanding debts to the city, like parking tickets or water bills, among other requirements. Each property is sold "as-is" via a quit claim deed.

Your data does not say 71% of people are FROM SF. It just says they lived there before being homeless. IE they moved there from fly over country, could not afford shelter, and wound up homeless. Nice try though.

Old 02-10-2016, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Your data does not say 71% of people are FROM SF. It just says they lived there before being homeless. IE they moved there from fly over country, could not afford shelter, and wound up homeless. Nice try though.
What are you trying to claim, that they all walked to San Francisco, got a hotel room for one night and then became homeless? The numbers for SF are consistent with those for every other area in the Country, people are usually homeless in the same City that they last had an address in. How about this, do some research on your own then come back and prove otherwise?

Old 02-10-2016, 10:54 PM

26,084 posts, read 28,478,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
So you bet Reagan had a huge effect on the mentally ill---and STILL does!! Karma was a b**ch when he was shot by schizophrenic John Hinckley Jr. but if Reagan were alive today, he'd probably deflect his own responsibility for it.
Despite the lies we're told by the media, John Hinckley was very likely a victim of the CIA's MK Ultra Mind control practices which date back to the 1950s. They've known since at least the 1950s how to create a person with multiple personalities who an perform assassinations. Hinckley wasn't a random lone crazy, as is the case for most assassinations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOARWX3OjFc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReN5DXymYik

Old 02-10-2016, 11:05 PM

Quote:
What are you trying to claim, that they all walked to San Francisco, got a hotel room for one night and then became homeless? The numbers for SF are consistent with those for every other area in the Country, people are usually homeless in the same City that they last had an address in. How about this, do some research on your own then come back and prove otherwise?

I don't need prove "otherwise". Nothing you offered suggests the homeless are FROM SF. All you have stated is that they merely lived in SF before they became homeless.

How can I disprove something you have not even proven?

My guess is since the majority of residents in SF are transplants to being with, it stands to reason the the majority of people who lived in SF and then became homeless are probably transplants too. People native to SF who are down on their luck will likely have more of a support network (family) to fall back too when they need shelter.

Don't get me wrong, if you have anything factual that shows homeless in SF are SF natives, I will admit I am wrong. Until then, I will assume that I am right, as I am with pretty much everything in life.

Old 02-10-2016, 11:15 PM

Quote:
I don't need prove "otherwise". Nothing you offered suggests the homeless are FROM SF. All you have stated is that they merely lived in SF before they became homeless.
How can I disprove something you have not even proven?
My guess is since the majority of residents in SF are transplants to being with, it stands to reason the the majority of people who lived in SF and then became homeless are probably transplants too. People native to SF who are down on their luck will likely have more of a support network (family) to fall back too when they need shelter.
Don't get me wrong, if you have anything factual that shows homeless in SF are SF natives, I will admit I am wrong. Until then, I will assume that I am right, as I am with pretty much everything in life.
What difference does it make if they are 'natives of San Francisco'? I grew up in the SF Bay area and moved to Reno. I lived in Nevada for 14 years then I moved to Sacramento where I have lived for about a year and a half. If I became homeless tomorrow, what would be considered my place of residence? Richmond where I was born, or maybe Marin, Napa, San Francisco, Contra Costa or Solano County since I lived in all of them or maybe Reno because I lived there longer than I have lived in Sacramento. Most of us are 'transplants' or have been at some point in our lives. It doesn't matter because homelessness infers that one has the lack of assets and transportation that would enable them to move anywhere further than a few miles.

Old 02-10-2016, 11:56 PM

26,589 posts, read 52,257,058 times
The Bay Area has homeless and street people...

Having connections to Martinez the only problem I know is leaving a car at the Amtrak station overnight... several have had problems with windows popped while taking train excursions... like a day trip to Old Sacramento.

Martinez is rich in History... home to John Muir the father of the National Parks and his open is open to visitors... also John Sweat the father of California education, home of the Martini and Martinez also claims Joe Dimaggio a native son... the world famous Christian Brothers winery started in Martinez...

Every year I get my Christmas tree at a little family run Christmas Tree farm on Alhambra Valley and enjoy taking the backroads... for those that don't know the area... there is a hidden town of Port Costa nearby and that is where the Bull Valley Inn is located.

At one time the port of martinez shipped more grain than any other port anywhere in West...

Also the Briones regional park is nearby...

Most homeless will leave you alone once they realize you and not interested... some people are intimidated just by someone approaching them.

What I have seen is a spike in population that thinks nothing of taking a dump in public or in doorways...

Some have mentioned stepping over poop and this is real... not saying Martinez... but, not limited to San Francisco... Hayward and San Leandro is seeing more of this... with the John George releasing patients after 72 hour holds...

My friends from colder climates have said it has more to do with California's mild climate... people are not likely to freeze around here when cold spells are short lived.

Old 02-11-2016, 12:03 AM

Quote:
What difference does it make if they are 'natives of San Francisco'? I grew up in the SF Bay area and moved to Reno. I lived in Nevada for 14 years then I moved to Sacramento where I have lived for about a year and a half. If I became homeless tomorrow, what would be considered my place of residence? Richmond where I was born, or maybe Marin, Napa, San Francisco, Contra Costa or Solano County since I lived in all of them or maybe Reno because I lived there longer than I have lived in Sacramento. Most of us are 'transplants' or have been at some point in our lives. It doesn't matter because homelessness infers that one has the lack of assets and transportation that would enable them to move anywhere further than a few miles.

The difference is, when communities in fly over country do not provide services for their down and out, places like California have to pick up the tab.

Homeless services do not come out of federal funds. It is mostly state and local tax dollars. So working people get screwed because losers from fly over country want to get hopped up on smack and sleep under a bridge all day.

Of course if they went *back where they came from*, the local citizens and police would not tolerate it. So they come here, because they can get away with their antics.

Old 02-11-2016, 12:08 AM

26,589 posts, read 52,257,058 times
Think about it... would you rather be homeless in the SF Bay Area/LA/San Diego or Chicago?

and... if your are homeless in California and want to go home... there are programs that will give you the bus ticket as long as your destination is outside California.

Old 02-11-2016, 08:27 AM

3,927 posts, read 7,735,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Despite the lies we're told by the media, John Hinckley was very likely a victim of the CIA's MK Ultra Mind control practices which date back to the 1950s. They've known since at least the 1950s how to create a person with multiple personalities who an perform assassinations. Hinckley wasn't a random lone crazy, as is the case for most assassinations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOARWX3OjFc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReN5DXymYik
Conspiracy theory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or