Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 12:15 PM

136 posts, read 196,160 times

Advertisements

The beauty, diversity, restaurants of course. I also like that the rednecks and cro-magnon conservatives have to keep their mouths shut and listen. I was visiting my wife's relatives in the South last year where it was the other way around. I had to tread softly in case a political subject came up and I had to listen to their drivel. Here, they have to tread softly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 02:25 PM

163 posts, read 272,435 times
It's February and we can wear shorts.

Enough said

Old 02-15-2016, 07:51 PM

964 posts, read 990,397 times
The views of the Bay from the East Bay hills. And all the regional parks up there.

Old 02-16-2016, 12:29 AM

1,658 posts, read 3,540,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
  • The impressive amount of great jobs in my field
  • Prevalence of well-educated people
  • Cultural diversity (compared to the rest of the country)
  • Access to fresh food (due to proximity to where much of it is grown), and the great amount of mid-tier food that's awesome (the Bay Area kills it in the $10-20 range - which is where most of my meals out are)
  • *Great weather that makes doing things outside 365 days a year very easy (even when it's raining)
  • *Large amount of friends (and some family) that I've built up here
  • Access to 3 large cities that each have their own unique take on things (SF, Oak, and SJ all are interesting places in their own ways)
  • Access to good transit (compared to the rest of the US)
All of these for me. Some caveats explained by asterisks: I don't do anything outdoorsy, but I like the weather to not get in the way when trying to walk somewhere. I have friends here though that's not a huge selling point for me--I make friends most places I live so if I stayed for friends I'd never move anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Not too long of a plane ride to LA, where good looking people are.
Yeah, this too. SFO/SJC have easy direct flights to all the US cities I care about visiting. Primarily LA and Seattle...also San Diego, Portland, Phoenix, Denver, SLC, and a couple in Hawaii. Don't really get the urge to go past Denver even if more direct flights would be offered.

Also...I have really good luck winning free concert tickets to virtually every act that I want to see that plays here. (Some examples...U2, New Order, The Cure, M83, Bleachers, The Decemberists, The National, Borns, Interpol, and many others...) I've never had anywhere near as good luck when I lived in other cities...not sure why it's been different here, but glad it is.

Last edited by Radical347; 02-16-2016 at 12:56 AM..

Old 02-16-2016, 11:32 AM

629 posts, read 617,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pietro25 View Post
I had to tread softly in case a political subject came up and I had to listen to their drivel. Here, they have to tread softly.
Living here I know exactly what you mean.
Most intolerant place I've ever been.

Other than that it's a great place.

Old 02-16-2016, 11:35 AM

629 posts, read 617,336 times
The weather and scenery easily wins this thread. More days of perfect (for me) weather than most of the country IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland