Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 07:21 AM

958 posts, read 1,146,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
How often will you be going into Oakland, and how long of a commute can you tolerate for that amount of times you need to go?

For example, if you're only going into Oakland once a week, or even less frequently, you might be able to tolerate a 1 hour (or more) commute. But if it's more frequent, you'd probably want to keep it shorter (for your sanity).

You might already know that information - but if you don't, I'd think about that as it will be a significant part of your QOL here, and will partly dictate where you can live. The reason I mention that last part: if you know you'll only need to be in Oakland very infrequently, you could even look further out and get a better house/live in a nicer area.

Also, will you need/want access to public transit (I assume you're looking at Pittsburg partly for its BART access?). If you don't want/need it that much, you don't necessarily have to live in a town that has its own BART station.
op went over this in another thread. Doesnt need bart. Works all over norcal rarely goes into oak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2016, 05:19 PM

3 posts, read 3,109 times
Highlands Ranch is a very nice subdivision in Pittsburg with high quality homes, a clean neighborhood and highlands ranch park is fantastic. There are a few places in Pittsburg such as this that almost make your forget where you are. The area south of Buchanan is generally very nice. Leland however is loaded with abandoned shopping carts and thugs roaming around.

Old 07-17-2016, 01:39 AM

245 posts, read 607,638 times
OP: Why on earth would you choose to live in Pittsburg? Do you not know this is a bad area, especially being next to Antioch and GunPoint? Don't come back here and complain 2 years from now after you have been robbed or burglarized.

Old 07-17-2016, 05:40 PM

522 posts, read 735,942 times
I have friends in Pittsburg; the area is fine. The only places in the Pittsburg area where you may want to be careful is around Bay Point (West Pittsburg), and the public housing projects near the high school.

Old 07-17-2016, 08:34 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,006,587 times
Ya right even the old parts near the high school are hardcore ghetto. Not as bad Antioch, but still Pittsburg is ghetto.

Old 07-17-2016, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Ya right even the old parts near the high school are hardcore ghetto. Not as bad Antioch, but still Pittsburg is ghetto.
http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...alifornia.html

The crime stats say otherwise.

Old 07-17-2016, 10:24 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,624,505 times
I was pretty surprised how low the crime rate was in Pittsburg when I looked last, this may be why though:
Pittsburg: Did police fabricate crime stats to burnish city's image? - San Jose Mercury News

Old 07-17-2016, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I was pretty surprised how low the crime rate was in Pittsburg when I looked last, this may be why though:
Pittsburg: Did police fabricate crime stats to burnish city's image? - San Jose Mercury News
I can't personally comment on that, but I have visited the city multiple times and it never struck me as dangerous. Some parts do have a bit of a rundown look to them, but nothing that screams ghetto.

Old 07-18-2016, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelatedTherapy View Post
I can't personally comment on that, but I have visited the city multiple times and it never struck me as dangerous. Some parts do have a bit of a rundown look to them, but nothing that screams ghetto.
I have some family there, stuff I've seen some of them deal with just seems ghetto and a different world to me. You might be able to isolate yourself in one of the better areas and send your kids to private school but you still have to deal with the widespread ghetto ratchetness of the area if you live there.

Old 07-18-2016, 05:26 PM

From today's paper: Pittsburg police made errors in more than half of crime reports analyzed, DA audit finds - EastBayTimes.com

"More than half of the crime reports filed as suspicious circumstances by Pittsburg police in 2015 were misclassified.."

"Of the 204 police reports reviewed, investigators found that 103 were incorrectly classified and should have been documented as actual crimes. "
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland