Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 01:01 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,140,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Whoever set up the trust really blew it.

A trust that creates ill will is a failed mission.
I would agree but perhaps when it was set up the person never dreamed this poor little old lady would live w long. The whole thing sounds very sad. If nothing else just the physical move might be too hard for her. On the other hand, I am sure she can find housing. I can't believe anyone today would still be living someplace after all those years and not made an attempt at some time to purchase the property. Let's hope someone will be able to assist her. Some people take too much for granted and she obviously was one of those. She calls the landlord greedy, and yet, she has lived on the property all these years. it sounds to me like there are 2 sides to this story. Maybe there is reason she has never moved. Could that reason be, she knew she had a good deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 01:31 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,284,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I would agree but perhaps when it was set up the person never dreamed this poor little old lady would live w long. The whole thing sounds very sad. If nothing else just the physical move might be too hard for her. On the other hand, I am sure she can find housing. I can't believe anyone today would still be living someplace after all those years and not made an attempt at some time to purchase the property. Let's hope someone will be able to assist her. Some people take too much for granted and she obviously was one of those. She calls the landlord greedy, and yet, she has lived on the property all these years. it sounds to me like there are 2 sides to this story. Maybe there is reason she has never moved. Could that reason be, she knew she had a good deal?
There are older middle to lower middle class people still barely here on The Peninsula. They got here back when it was still a friendly place for blue collar people. She's right in that age bracket. The window for such people to buy was prior to the mid or late 1970s. If she never got married or was divorced, back in those days, there was no concept of a single woman buying their own place (especially not in her generation) and back then there were barely any condos / small spaces. It was the Leave it to Beaver rancher (or larger) home, or else you'd be a renter. I suspect she did not realize she missed the window until it was too late, and was too timid / stubborn / scared to leave the area for lower COL. Sad story all around.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:40 PM

964 posts, read 987,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
There are older middle to lower middle class people still barely here on The Peninsula. They got here back when it was still a friendly place for blue collar people. She's right in that age bracket. The window for such people to buy was prior to the mid or late 1970s. If she never got married or was divorced, back in those days, there was no concept of a single woman buying their own place (especially not in her generation) and back then there were barely any condos / small spaces. It was the Leave it to Beaver rancher (or larger) home, or else you'd be a renter. I suspect she did not realize she missed the window until it was too late, and was too timid / stubborn / scared to leave the area for lower COL. Sad story all around.
She wouldn't have had an incentive to buy or to move, since she was set for life, so she thought. Single women who had the means did buy back in the 70's, but it was extremely rare before then--in the 50's and prior, for sure.

Old 02-24-2016, 02:06 PM

19,105 posts, read 16,488,806 times
There are plenty of people out there who think they would just accept things as they are and move but Marie has lived in that home for 66 years. She has cancer. She also suffers from agoraphobia. Adapting to a new place at this stage in her life will surely kill her. Imagine yourself at the age of 97 having to leave a place you've lived in most of your adult life with no place to go.

None of us know the exact terms of the trust, except for what the seller's attorney is saying - that the home must be sold - so who really knows if this just about following said terms of trust or just plain out greed? I happen to think it's the latter because that's the way society works now. The words empathy and compassion no longer exist in today's world.

There's a gofund page set up to help Marie. If anyone would like to help her, you can find it here:

https://www.gofundme.com/mjqf7pjw?ut...campaign=upd_n

Old 02-24-2016, 03:50 PM

227 posts, read 536,597 times
I will say that we had to look around for subsidized senior housing for a family member. We called over 70 residential communities. All the senior housing had years of wait lists, and no market-rate housing was willing to take subsidies. So is the current rental market environment. Hopefully someone will, out of the goodness of their heart, find or make a space for her somewhere. I'd hate to think of her final years being those of stress and angst about where she'll live.

Old 02-24-2016, 04:09 PM

102,063 posts, read 106,917,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelacious View Post
I will say that we had to look around for subsidized senior housing for a family member. We called over 70 residential communities. All the senior housing had years of wait lists, and no market-rate housing was willing to take subsidies. So is the current rental market environment. Hopefully someone will, out of the goodness of their heart, find or make a space for her somewhere. I'd hate to think of her final years being those of stress and angst about where she'll live.
Not good for a cancer patient, for sure. Moving at her age even in reasonably good health would be a stressful ordeal. Let's hope that the publicity will bring a solution.

Old 02-24-2016, 08:48 PM

18,812 posts, read 32,267,495 times
Verbal contracts for over one year are not valid for real estate. And all the lawyers can do is delay the termination (it's not an eviction at this point, it's simply a termination of the rental agreement), by possibly using a "reasonable accommodation" for her as a disabled individual. They will never be able to enforce a verbal contract for a life estate.

So, it's my opinion the lawyers are looking for free publicity. They may delay her moving date, but she'll have to move.

But, as unfortunate as it is that she didn't plan for the future or didn't understand the law, it's not the landlord's responsibility to provide her with housing as long as she wants it. I feel bad for her, but I think it would be wrong to force the landlord to allow her to stay with what amounts to a life estate.

Old 02-24-2016, 08:59 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,161,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHi View Post
The wife was murdered? What's the story on that? This sounds tragic all around.

Trusts aren't goodwill organizations. They're for passing along inheritances. If the trust or will had been drawn up while the property owner was alive, she could or would have built in a provision for the elderly renter. People don't usually anticipate their life being cut short at an early age, though, so she probably had no will. Sad for everyone. And now there are kids (maybe adults by now) who lost their mom.
She had a Trust so she did not need a will. A will can be contested. It goes through probate. A trust cannot and it does not go through probate. We do not know what kind of trust it is besides it dictating that he sell the house.

The wife was murdered by her boyfriend. Her and the owner were divorced or split up at the time. That's what I read in the SF Gate article.

Old 02-24-2016, 10:56 PM

964 posts, read 987,412 times
I'm trying to figure out the issue with this trust. It expires this summer. That doesn't sound like something the deceased wife had drawn up. It sounds like something her mother or grandmother had set up. And they failed to include a provision for the renter. So the surviving spouse needs to sell the house before his ownership becomes invalid, it sounds like. He wants the money in order to create a nest egg for his kids, I'll bet.

But why would a family trust terminate in the middle of the granddaughter's expected lifespan? Oh well, I can't figure it out.

Old 02-24-2016, 11:25 PM

58 posts, read 60,653 times
Hmm...interesting. I thought in San Francisco there was a rental law about when evicting a renter you must live in it for a year? I'd contact a lawyer if I was her, and stay put!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland