Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 05:25 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,709,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post
I ended up taking the job and have been here for four months. Ended up renting a room for 1K/month. No real expenses besides that. I don't know how people can't survive here on even 50K or 60K, much less 90K. I've save a ton of money over the past four months. I sense that a lot of the people complaining about their 200K household incomes are living way outside of their means.
Yeah but with that same 1k you could be living in a palace compared to a single bedroom in a tenement slum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2016, 05:49 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,634,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Yeah but with that same 1k you could be living in a palace compared to a single bedroom in a tenement slum

Not really, ended up at a nice townhome in Pleasanton. It's just a room, but I'm only here for a year or two for work and will move on to something better.

Old 08-14-2016, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Not really, ended up at a nice townhome in Pleasanton. It's just a room, but I'm only here for a year or two for work and will move on to something better.
Not only are you in a single room but you have to commute 30+ miles to SF. What a bargain. That's like commuting to Atlanta and living where "deliverance" takes place. Seems like an awful big sacrifice in my opinion for no real tangible gain. You realize your lifestyle is comparable to a 19th century dweller but at least they had a wife to do it with.

Last edited by Perma Bear; 08-14-2016 at 06:10 PM..

Old 08-14-2016, 06:06 PM

102,126 posts, read 107,381,087 times
Quote:
Not only are you in a single room but you have to compute 30+ miles to SF. What a bargain. That's like commuting to Atlanta and living where "deliverance" takes place. Seems like an awful big sacrifice in my opinion for no real tangible gain. You realize your lifestyle is comparable to a 19th century dweller but at least they had a wife to do it with.
He doesn't care. He's only here temporarily, as a career move, he's building up a huge savings, and will have a nice nest egg to buy a place with anywhere he wants. Even in Seattle if he decides to go there. He's playing it smart; he's basically pulling a Nutrino -- getting a room and banking the rest. By the time he gets tired of the living conditions, he'll be moving on anyway.

Try as you might, you won't be able to take the wind out of his sails, Bear.

Old 08-14-2016, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
He doesn't care. He's only here temporarily, as a career move, he's building up a huge savings, and will have a nice nest egg to buy a place with anywhere he wants. Even in Seattle if he decides to go there. He's playing it smart; he's basically pulling a Nutrino -- getting a room and banking the rest. By the time he gets tired of the living conditions, he'll be moving on anyway.

Try as you might, you won't be able to take the wind out of his sails, Bear.
I can out save him by living at home what's your point? He might as well just stay in the Midwest.

Old 08-14-2016, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Not only are you in a single room but you have to commute 30+ miles to SF. What a bargain. That's like commuting to Atlanta and living where "deliverance" takes place. Seems like an awful big sacrifice in my opinion for no real tangible gain. You realize your lifestyle is comparable to a 19th century dweller but at least they had a wife to do it with.

I live in Pleasanton, work in San Ramon. Commute is around 10 minutes, all back roads.

Old 08-14-2016, 06:21 PM

Quote:
I live in Pleasanton, work in San Ramon. Commute is around 10 minutes, all back roads.
So you didn't take the SF job eh? Still, it's probably just as hot in the tri valley area as it is in the Midwest. You're not even getting to enjoy any of the reasons people move to the bay area

Old 08-14-2016, 06:26 PM

Quote:
So you didn't take the SF job eh? Still, it's probably just as hot in the tri valley area as it is in the Midwest. You're not even getting to enjoy any of the reasons people move to the bay area
I never said the job was in SF. Read the original post

Old 08-14-2016, 06:29 PM

Quote:
I never said the job was in SF. Read the original post
If you're working in San Ramon you should move to Tracy. Also it's been a long time
Since I've seen this topic and the title says "SF"

Old 08-14-2016, 06:43 PM

6,409 posts, read 8,251,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
He's playing it smart; he's basically pulling a Nutrino
He's making way more than $12 a hour, so that's a bit of a stretch there, Ruth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland