Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2016, 03:11 PM

9 posts, read 28,725 times

Advertisements

I may be relocating from S. FL and need to find a 1BR/1Bath apartment that is 45 minutes away at the very maximum by either vehicle or public transportation. I am a single female in my early 40's and do like urban living and residences. I will work from home most of the time, so the living space has to accommodate that lifestyle.

Novato seems a bit too suburban for me but I can't afford living in San Francisco and don't think I'd like the commute by subway or by car/ferry.

Any ideas on what areas gives me the best of both worlds? I do like loft living, coffeehouses, poetry jams, but am only a night owl on the weekends. Some huge asks are to have hardwood floors, a separate shower, and a den. But that's based on FL living.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 05:10 PM

238 posts, read 302,393 times
budget?

also, i find your post somewhat confusing - you want an urban area from which you work from home but need to commute on occasion to novato? but you don't like driving or public transportation? am i missing something?

frankly, by my definition, the only urban areas are SF proper, oakland, and a small part of berkeley. everything else is pretty much, by definition, suburban.

Old 03-16-2016, 09:46 PM

379 posts, read 785,438 times
The only place that really would fit your distance criteria and be urban is the Marina district in San Francisco, however you'd need a high budget to afford the kind of housing you desire. Maybe look into downtown Santa Rosa? Other than SF it's the only urbanish place near Novato, and rents are much lower.

Old 03-17-2016, 05:07 PM

Sorry for the confusion comingbacktocali. I guess I want a mix. I've noticed a lot of what used to be considered suburban areas now have city like neighborhoods with work and living spaces. I want a bit of the city life but I don't want to live in San Fran. Frankly, I can't afford it. My max is $2800 monthly. I can't believe I am even typing this because here in S. FL, I thought $1800 was too much. And I was paying for a 1,001 square feet 1 BR with a huge balcony, 1 full bath and 1/2 bath plus a den.

How far is Santa Rosa from Novato? And is their public transportation between those areas?

Old 03-17-2016, 06:15 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,985,189 times
I think you should check out Petaluma. It's got enough going on to not feel like you're bored or stuck inside all the time. There are some great restaurants/cafes/bars/farmer's markets/boutiques, etc.---- I would totally live there!

The downside of course--the commute into the City. I honestly don't know how long it takes though--might be a bit more than 45 minutes. Maybe someone else will give you a better estimate.

Old 03-17-2016, 08:13 PM

33,320 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
I think you should check out Petaluma. It's got enough going on to not feel like you're bored or stuck inside all the time. There are some great restaurants/cafes/bars/farmer's markets/boutiques, etc.---- I would totally live there!

The downside of course--the commute into the City. I honestly don't know how long it takes though--might be a bit more than 45 minutes. Maybe someone else will give you a better estimate.
One of my cousins lives in Petaluma with his family. Once they had the money to get the same size place closer in (to shorten his commute into SF, and to be closer to his siblings), their kids loved Petaluma so much they didn't want to leave . So they stayed, and he kept the same commute. He retired a couple of years ago (LEO), so he no longer has that commute. My father also lived in Petaluma for a few years before he died. He loved living there, and he was raised in the city (lived in SF from the time he was 5 until he turned 23).

Old 03-18-2016, 08:48 AM

379 posts, read 785,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattigurl View Post
Sorry for the confusion comingbacktocali. I guess I want a mix. I've noticed a lot of what used to be considered suburban areas now have city like neighborhoods with work and living spaces. I want a bit of the city life but I don't want to live in San Fran. Frankly, I can't afford it. My max is $2800 monthly. I can't believe I am even typing this because here in S. FL, I thought $1800 was too much. And I was paying for a 1,001 square feet 1 BR with a huge balcony, 1 full bath and 1/2 bath plus a den.

How far is Santa Rosa from Novato? And is their public transportation between those areas?
It's about a 30 minute drive from Downtown Santa Rosa to Novato. There's a commuter bus between the two, but it's slower- a little over an hour ride, I believe. I echo the other posters who said Petaluma is great, although it's definitely more toward the rural than urban end. Definitely not suburban, though.

You may actually also find a one-bedroom in San Francisco for your $2800 budget if you look in the Marina, Presidio, and Inner Richmond (all around 40 min reverse commute to Novato- The Marina a little less). A friend of mine commutes from the Inner Richmond to San Rafael 5x/week and doesn't find the drive too stressful. Here's an idea of what you'd get in your budget in those neighborhoods: SF bay area apartments / housing rentals - craigslist.

Old 03-18-2016, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalLover View Post
It's about a 30 minute drive from Downtown Santa Rosa to Novato. There's a commuter bus between the two, but it's slower- a little over an hour ride, I believe. I echo the other posters who said Petaluma is great, although it's definitely more toward the rural than urban end. Definitely not suburban, though.

You may actually also find a one-bedroom in San Francisco for your $2800 budget if you look in the Marina, Presidio, and Inner Richmond (all around 40 min reverse commute to Novato- The Marina a little less). A friend of mine commutes from the Inner Richmond to San Rafael 5x/week and doesn't find the drive too stressful. Here's an idea of what you'd get in your budget in those neighborhoods: SF bay area apartments / housing rentals - craigslist.
That is very helpful NorCalLover! I'm going for my final interview the first week of April and they booked an extra day so I could look around.

I think maybe living in SF could be the better option but I'll check your link out and update this post.

Old 03-18-2016, 01:27 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,551,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post

The OP will be commuting to Novato, not the City. That's pretty clearly stated in the subject line of the thread.

On topic: maybe look at downtown San Rafael.

Old 03-18-2016, 01:51 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,985,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentobox34 View Post
The OP will be commuting to Novato, not the City. That's pretty clearly stated in the subject line of the thread.

On topic: maybe look at downtown San Rafael.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland