Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 05:30 PM

409 posts, read 1,826,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
"Silicon Valley" is not a geographical distinction, nor is the Santa Clara Valley analogous to Orange County just because they play second fiddle on the fame scale. What a shallow assessment.

And I think all of us from LA and SF can agree that the southbay is not even worthy of mention!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 07:59 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,297,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernCalifornia View Post
And I think all of us from LA and SF can agree that the southbay is not even worthy of mention!
That's a mature response. It would have been really annoying if you tried to support your argument instead of lashing out.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:21 PM

3,951 posts, read 7,165,155 times
San Franciscans think of Los Angeles the same things Bostonians think of New York, or Dallas people think of the rest of Texas.

Can I be anymore clearer.:-)

Old 02-13-2008, 04:44 AM

323 posts, read 1,422,363 times
John Lennon: Los Angeles is just a parking lot to buy an hamburger on the way to San Francisco

Old 02-13-2008, 01:44 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,111,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california??? View Post
What do the local people of San Francisco think of the city of Los Angeles and its people that live there? What about San Diego? I already know what the people of LA and SD think of SF and vice versa. It seems that every city has something against one of the other cities. Which I can understand one standing up for their city. What does SF offer that LA or SD cannot? All three cities rank nationally as some of the most expensive places to live, so it doesn't have anything to do with rent prices. From an outsiders perspective I would say SF has better overall colleges with Berkeley and Stanford, not to mention all the little art schools. I think SF has better museums and more of a walkable downtown. I think LA has everyone beat in the entertainment/arts job industry obviously. And the only thing SD has better is weather and surfing.
I think they are a little flakey but overall nice.

Old 02-13-2008, 01:49 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,111,181 times
Quote:
"Silicon Valley" is not a geographical distinction, nor is the Santa Clara Valley analogous to Orange County just because they play second fiddle on the fame scale. What a shallow assessment.
Everyone who lives here knows where "Silicon Valley" is on a map. Milpitas to Santa Clara to Palo Alto to Mt View amongst others. We know what cities it encompasses.

Old 02-13-2008, 03:38 PM

409 posts, read 1,826,539 times
To answer your actual question -

The standard response re: LA from an SF person is that they hate it, traffic, smog, fake people, yadda ya. A good percentage actually like LA, for the sunshine, mellow lifestyle and easier housing/parking/etc. The art scene in particular is better in LA than Sf these days.

LA people don't think much of SF. LA people don't think much about anything outside of LA.

As for the southbay/silicon valley/santa clara county metro area it has a huge chip on its shoulder because it's essentially an enormous tract of suburbs mashed together interwoven with office park/pseudo-campuses for enormous tech companies that together have a built a circle jerk technology economy that generates enormous innovation and ridiculous wealth to its victims, er contributers. It's a bit like LA without everything that makes LA good and really nothing like San Francisco. I imagine it was once a very, very nice area before they paved it all over. San Jose is ok, the rest of the "valley" is frightfully boring and overpriced. Like really, really expensive, for no good reason other than you're surrounded by tons of people with too much money.

Old 02-13-2008, 04:10 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,748,879 times
I agree with most of that, NorthernCalifornia, but there ARE some nice parts of Silicon Valley... my family lives in Mtn. View & Sunnyvale, which I find frightfully boring and hot, but they're actually very nice towns. If I HAD to live in SV, I'd probably have a good life in Mtn. View - which is far from a "rich town," btw, though it's not exactly poor either (like most of the Peninsula).

Old 02-14-2008, 10:00 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,297,076 times
If San Franciscans know nothing about places an hour away, why would you take their opinion on Los Angeles?

Old 02-14-2008, 11:32 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,748,879 times
Quote:
If San Franciscans know nothing about places an hour away, why would you take their opinion on Los Angeles?
Where do you get that idea? I can't speak for all San Franciscans, but I pretty much know the whole state up & down (and back & forth)! I'm probably more well-traveled than most, and have lived in many towns besides San Francisco - not to mention I commute 100+ miles/day, so obviously I know things an hour away, LOL. But I'm curious as to why you think we don't know anything outside of SF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland