Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 09:36 AM

61 posts, read 37,398 times

Advertisements

I disagree with the premise that we need more dense housing. We are doing just fine as a region with our suburban tract homes. Owning many homes in the SF Bay Area peninsula there is always opportunity for home ownership. I bought a house in half moon bay working at a restaurant before getting my city government job in 1960.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2016, 04:59 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,909,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGotMine View Post
I disagree with the premise that we need more dense housing. We are doing just fine as a region with our suburban tract homes. Owning many homes in the SF Bay Area peninsula there is always opportunity for home ownership. I bought a house in half moon bay working at a restaurant before getting my city government job in 1960.
Please define the "we" in this scenario. Current homeowners? Of course they're doing fine! In fact, they're doing great!!

Low income or new residents? I'm not so sure about that one...especially as we keep adding more and more jobs and don't add comparable amounts of housing (i.e. further increasing the ridiculous jobs:housing imbalance in most places in the region). Obviously, it'll only get worse, if that trend continues.

Old 09-19-2016, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Please define the "we" in this scenario. Current homeowners? Of course they're doing fine! In fact, they're doing great!!

Low income or new residents? I'm not so sure about that one...especially as we keep adding more and more jobs and don't add comparable amounts of housing (i.e. further increasing the ridiculous jobs:housing imbalance in most places in the region). Obviously, it'll only get worse, if that trend continues.
You just have to try harder and adjust to the new opportunities in the current economy. I was able to do it and you can to! You just have to find your niche.

Old 09-19-2016, 05:04 PM

Quote:
You just have to try harder and adjust to the new opportunities in the current economy. I was able to do it and you can to! You just have to find your niche.
Please see my response to your points here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/45541056-post72.html

Also, you're kind of invalidating your points by using the word "adjust" - yep, things are NOT the same as they used to be. Please stop pretending that they are.

Old 09-19-2016, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Please see my response to your points here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/45541056-post72.html

Also, you're kind of invalidating your points by using the word "adjust" - yep, things are NOT the same as they used to be. Please stop pretending that they are.
Nope, all I'm saying is the key to success is finding out how to take advantage of the system. It's no harder today than it was for
Me. In fact in my day we had to worry about the communists!

Old 09-19-2016, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Nope, all I'm saying is the key to success is finding out how to take advantage of the system. It's no harder today than it was for
Me. In fact in my day we had to worry about the communists!
Outside of the Bay Area - things are easier in many ways - but I don't see your argument for inside the Bay Area.

I'm talking on a whole, for the average person, by the way. Personally, I'm quite lucky/fortunate to have an above average/median-wage job (and lucky to have lived a life that has given me TREMENDOUS opportunities that most people don't have access to) - I'll probably be able to buy something at some point in my life here (although it's still quite far off) - but that isn't my point.

What about the people below me or the people just moving here today?

Or the mailman that you describe in your previous posts - do you honestly believe that person can do what they did then today in the Bay Area? Perhaps elsewhere in a more affordable location, but I personally don't see that happening here. If you disagree, please show how it could be done.

Old 09-19-2016, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Outside of the Bay Area - things are easier in many ways - but I don't see your argument for inside the Bay Area.

I'm talking on a whole, for the average person, by the way. Personally, I'm quite lucky enough to have an above average/median-wage job - I'll probably be able to buy something at some point in my life here (although it's still quite far off) - but that isn't my point.

What about the people below me or the people just moving here today?

Or the mailman that you describe in your previous posts - do you honestly believe that person can do what they did then today in the Bay Area? Perhaps elsewhere in a more affordable location, but I personally don't see that happening here. If you disagree, please show how it could be done.
He doesn't need to, he died in 2005 but if he were still alive today he'd say how much he loves his eichler and repeat most of what I have to say about hard work and dedication. He retired in 1980 and spent the rest of
His days with his loving wife in that home they bought when it was new. He worked as an ODL for a few years to acquire the funds to pay for a downpayment.

Old 09-19-2016, 05:32 PM

1,156 posts, read 986,947 times
I think Bear just played all of us today by creating "IGotMine." Either that or he underwent a lobotomy last night and came back as an entirely new person. I really loved the hanging out in Palo Alto and getting wooed by Stanford coeds to be their sugar daddy. Quite funny.

Old 09-19-2016, 08:43 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,184,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR95 View Post
I think Bear just played all of us today by creating "IGotMine." Either that or he underwent a lobotomy last night and came back as an entirely new person. I really loved the hanging out in Palo Alto and getting wooed by Stanford coeds to be their sugar daddy. Quite funny.
I agree. Very similar posters. It always seemed like a shtick. There was one line post recently where he thinks it's 1985 and the USSR is still around and ready to nuke the US. Here it is "I don't keep track of recent events, who can when the ussr can strike is with nuclear icbms at any moment!" LOL That was one of the better posts. At least he is getting more creative cuz this shtick got old pretty quickly.

Last edited by Oakformonday; 09-19-2016 at 09:03 PM..

Old 09-20-2016, 07:04 AM

958 posts, read 1,147,153 times
Quote:
Hi perma bear! Other account get banned? Try a different user name if you want to be less obvious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland