Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 10:59 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,722,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnomatic View Post
Cages can be big or small, physical or virtual, gold or steel.
A cage could be the parental suburban ranch SFH in suburban Bay area, especially if their child is still living there in their 20's.

A loved, well care for child could thrive in any environment, big or small.
And the HSR could be built in 20 years. I'll give you a hint on which is more realistic. <-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2016, 11:08 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,814,222 times
Below is one example of a apt in the East Bay, Oakland, Rockridge Dist (good neighborhood) There is a BART train station in that neighborhood. From Rockridge BART station to first BART station in SF Market St averages about 18 min. There are BART 4 stations along Market St

HEART OF THE ROCKRIDGE

Old 04-21-2016, 11:08 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,248,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasaab View Post
Hi City-Data-ers.

I am relocating from Houston, TX to San Francisco due to work - (new job opportunity) I currently have a mortgage in Houston (~$3K/month) I will be working in San Francisco downtown, work near Market Street, what will be a good place to live temporarily until I sell my main home? My budget is 3K max for the new apartment, but obviously less would be better. I need 1BR/1BA as I have a baby on the way.
You might want to give more details regarding the type of area you're looking to live in. In the city, more suburban, warmer climate? You might want to hold onto that home as well...

Old 04-22-2016, 08:49 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,987,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
People in 19th century tenements give their child a life in a 1 bedroom apartment. That's like being a caged animal.
Children can thrive in even smaller quarters. My husband grew up with a family of 6 in a 900 sq ft semi-detached house in Ireland. If you had a child or are familiar with many parts of Europe, you'd know understand. Keep it in mind when/if you ever have a baby.

Old 04-22-2016, 10:38 AM

3,569 posts, read 2,520,027 times
Craigslist is a good aid here.

That said, for decent transit access to Market Street and 1BR for $3k (and reasonable opportunities to park), I would suggest West Portal, Glen Park, Inner Richmond near Geary, and Nob Hill. If your job has parking and you are willing to drive, I would suggest Twin Peaks.

Old 04-22-2016, 01:51 PM

901 posts, read 1,167,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
Craigslist is a good aid here.

That said, for decent transit access to Market Street and 1BR for $3k (and reasonable opportunities to park), I would suggest West Portal, Glen Park, Inner Richmond near Geary, and Nob Hill. If your job has parking and you are willing to drive, I would suggest Twin Peaks.
Good advice on 'value' (though not cheap) SF neighborhoods, although I do not recommend driving in SF at rush hour at all. Really almost never, since 2012 or so, when traffic started becoming intolerable, IMO.

Next step down socio-economically would be outer mission, excelsior, etc.

Old 04-22-2016, 02:01 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnomatic View Post
The baby haven't been born yet, I doubt it will miss a 4000 square foot house it never lived in.
LOL! And the OP says she'll only be in SF a couple of years. The kid will be the ripe old age of 2 when it moves away, and will have no memory of SF at all.

Chill, Bear. Living in a SF apt. isn't a fate worse than death for a newborn. Have you had your spoonful of honey today, yet?

Old 04-22-2016, 04:23 PM

33,321 posts, read 12,516,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
Children can thrive in even smaller quarters. My husband grew up with a family of 6 in a 900 sq ft semi-detached house in Ireland. If you had a child or are familiar with many parts of Europe, you'd know understand. Keep it in mind when/if you ever have a baby.
I've been to a fair number of places in Ireland with a reasonably dense population, and you're right, but the terrain (with dense population) is generally flatter than much of San Francisco. A member of my family adopted as a single mom. She lived in Pacific Heights, in the largest unit in a converted Queen Anne. She had a deeded 1 car garage. By the time our favorite munchkin was 2 years old, my relative gave up and moved to Marin. My relative is a VERY outdoorsy person, and it was just too hard to get around easily outside. Also, when anyone came to visit, it sometimes took an hour to find a parking spot. She found a great (expensive, but great) preschool in Marin, and didn't look back. Our favorite munchkin has thrived in a house (albeit on a fairly small lot) in a flat area, with nearby parks and other public amenities.

If the OP really has to be in SF, somewhere south of Judah, west of 19th avenue, and north of Vicente would likely make it easier to get around with a really little one...and parking might be easier. There are some apartment buildings within that geographical area.

Old 04-22-2016, 05:02 PM

881 posts, read 1,815,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
And the HSR could be built in 20 years. I'll give you a hint on which is more realistic. <-
It might or might not. It has no bearing on the quality of life for the OP or their soon to be child.

The OP is in a better position to judge whether their child "quality of life"is impacted by living in a <HORROR> 1 bedroom apartment, then a twenty something poster on an internet board who still lives in their parents house. And thanks for being the living example of why the size of one's home while growing up have little to do with ones ability to thrive as a human being.

Old 04-22-2016, 05:05 PM

33,321 posts, read 12,516,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
LOL! And the OP says she'll only be in SF a couple of years. The kid will be the ripe old age of 2 when it moves away, and will have no memory of SF at all.

Chill, Bear. Living in a SF apt. isn't a fate worse than death for a newborn. Have you had your spoonful of honey today, yet?
LOL.

The kid will likely start to walk though before leaving...would be easier to start doing that in a part of SF that is fairly flat (I outlined one area in another post).

The OP didn't post whether or not she/they have ever been to SF. Remember, the OP is coming from Houston. Houston is pretty d*** flat. There is a neighborhood in Houston called Houston Heights (most people just call it 'The Heights'). The name came from this neighbrhood being 23 feet (yes, 23 feet) higher in elevation than Downtown Houston.

P.S. -- Also, it sounds as though the OP doesn't have any kids at this time, but we don't know for certain.

Last edited by RMESMH; 04-22-2016 at 05:13 PM.. Reason: added P.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland