Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 11:24 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,814,222 times

Advertisements

I believe the poster stated he was from Houston TX. A city with a population of over 2.2 million. I think he just has a heightened concern in regard to safety because of the pregnant wife
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2016, 12:44 AM

1,516 posts, read 1,248,248 times
Quote:
Wait, you are moving here this weekend and plan to live here for a year and then later you write that you will spend a week in a hotel looking for a place even though you previously said you had no time. Plus, you're 3 months pregnant and plan to sell your current home in Houston so that in a year you can move back to Houston for a job you think you can get or??? Are you not taking any maternity leave. Sorry, this doesn't smell right. If I'm right, I guess you had some fun!!! Or, if I'm wrong - good luck.
Yeah, some weird backtracking there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasaab View Post
Thanks for the advice from everyone, I decided to come down there this Saturday and stay at a hotel for a week and hope to find something in the week, even the damn hotels are like $189/night!
I seriously don't understand people like you. Yeah, hotels are expensive... housing is expensive. SF is like a more suburban NYC. Did you not read regional news prior to interviewing for jobs in this area? The whole country is reporting on how expensive the Bay Area is. Also, SF has one of the worst homeless issues in the nation. You will see homeless people all over downtown.

To move your family out here and then back for a year seems a waste to me, but your decision is made, so good luck. Lumina is near the temporary bus terminal if I recall correctly. There may be some sketchy people there every now and then, but that area is generally ok.

Old 04-25-2016, 06:42 AM

4,369 posts, read 3,722,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
Yeah, some weird backtracking there.

I seriously don't understand people like you. Yeah, hotels are expensive... housing is expensive. SF is like a more suburban NYC. Did you not read regional news prior to interviewing for jobs in this area? The whole country is reporting on how expensive the Bay Area is. Also, SF has one of the worst homeless issues in the nation. You will see homeless people all over downtown.

To move your family out here and then back for a year seems a waste to me, but your decision is made, so good luck. Lumina is near the temporary bus terminal if I recall correctly. There may be some sketchy people there every now and then, but that area is generally ok.
Better be comfortable living in an apartment the size of your bathroom in Houston

Old 04-25-2016, 11:41 AM

52 posts, read 71,943 times
Alright guys let me clear this up.

I am relocating from Houston, TX to San Francisco, CA. I have a baby on the way, I wanted a safe and decent neighborhood. I will be there for a year about, then leave. I will come down there this weekend to scope out the area. Thanks for understanding.

Old 04-25-2016, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Better be comfortable living in an apartment the size of your bathroom in Houston

LOL, thank you. I realized that. Let's just see how it works out. I am not worried right now.

Old 04-25-2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
I believe the poster stated he was from Houston TX. A city with a population of over 2.2 million. I think he just has a heightened concern in regard to safety because of the pregnant wife
THANK YOU. Yes, first child here, I don't know what to exactly expect so I was being cautious.

Old 04-25-2016, 01:23 PM

I suggest during your scouting trip to SF, looking at several neighborhoods, not just the area near your job. Maybe even take a BART train to the Rockridge Station and walk around explore that area.

Old 04-28-2016, 01:40 PM

677 posts, read 835,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasaab View Post
Thanks for the advice from everyone, I decided to come down there this Saturday and stay at a hotel for a week and hope to find something in the week, even the damn hotels are like $189/night!
Wow, where did you find a hotel so cheap in SF?

Old 04-28-2016, 02:00 PM

243 posts, read 230,197 times
I lived in San Francisco for 20 years. Best advice I can give you take plenty of money with you.

Old 04-29-2016, 03:25 PM

dasaab;
There is a weather warm up forecast for the weekend. (Sept & Oct are known as the summer weather months in SF) If it has not already been mentioned, Ocean Beach in SF is not a swimming or wading beach, not only will you find the water colder then the Gulf of Mexico, also dangerous under tow and sneaker waves. I really suggest exploring other neighborhoods in SF for a place to live, besides the one near your job. I assume your wife will be home all day and might like a more relaxed, walking neighborhood. Google St View link is below starts at the street corner where the Glen Park BART Station is in SF. Just use computer mouse to move forward toward the commercial district that is ahead (starts at grey bldg across the street.
https://www.google.com/maps/@37.7333...7i13312!8i6656

Picture was taken at Sutro Park in SF, looking out toward Ocean Beach.
Attached Thumbnails
Moving to San Francisco, need serious advice.-013.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland