Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 08:27 PM

52 posts, read 71,600 times

Advertisements

Hi City-Data-ers.

I am relocating from Houston, TX to San Francisco due to work - (new job opportunity) I currently have a mortgage in Houston (~$3K/month) I will be working in San Francisco downtown, work near Market Street, what will be a good place to live temporarily until I sell my main home? My budget is 3K max for the new apartment, but obviously less would be better. I need 1BR/1BA as I have a baby on the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2016, 08:39 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,702,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasaab View Post
Hi City-Data-ers.

I am relocating from Houston, TX to San Francisco due to work - (new job opportunity) I currently have a mortgage in Houston (~$3K/month) I will be working in San Francisco downtown, work near Market Street, what will be a good place to live temporarily until I sell my main home? My budget is 3K max for the new apartment, but obviously less would be better. I need 1BR/1BA as I have a baby on the way.
You're giving up a (most likely) 4000 square foot house for a 1 bedroom? This is going to affect your babies quality of life

Old 04-21-2016, 08:51 PM

San Francisco, I will stay for about 12-24 months, or before that. Right now, I need good places, I will have a vehicle as well.

Old 04-21-2016, 09:14 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,794,342 times
I think it is safe to assume you will using public transportation to get to your Market St job location. It's very likely just not feasible to be driving your car to work. Given your stated job location near Market St, you do have the option of living in a East Bay City and taking the BART train to work. Oakland or Berkeley is what I am thinking of. Your money will go further there in regard to rentals (of course you need to balance that against transportation costs) Having stated that, $3k will definetely get you a 1 bedroom apt in SF. Finding street parking can be a real headache in several neighborhoods in SF. Something to keep in mind in the likely event the apt you find does not offer a parking garage of some sorts. Below is a list of Craigslist Apt listing in SF, one bedroom, up to $3k rent. Browse the list to get some idea of what you may be able to find in your price range. Anything that really looks interesting, post back here for some input on the neighborhood the rental is located in

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/s...000&bedrooms=1

Old 04-21-2016, 09:32 PM

881 posts, read 1,811,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
You're giving up a (most likely) 4000 square foot house for a 1 bedroom? This is going to affect your babies quality of life
The baby haven't been born yet, I doubt it will miss a 4000 square foot house it never lived in.

Old 04-21-2016, 09:38 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,702,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnomatic View Post
The baby haven't been born yet, I doubt it will miss a 4000 square foot house it never lived in.
People in 19th century tenements give their child a life in a 1 bedroom apartment. That's like being a caged animal.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:29 PM

The baby will be in a beautiful home down the road, not worried about that. Worried about the present right now, so if anyone can provide some good apartment complexes near SF, that would be wonderful.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:38 PM

881 posts, read 1,811,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
People in 19th century tenements give their child a life in a 1 bedroom apartment. That's like being a caged animal.
Cages can be big or small, physical or virtual, gold or steel.
A cage could be the parental suburban ranch SFH in suburban Bay area, especially if their child is still living there in their 20's.

A loved, well care for child could thrive in any environment, big or small.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:53 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,754,073 times
A $3k budget will work as long as you keep in mind you won't have in unit laundry and likely not a dishwasher. Think older place in an established neighborhood. Additionally, the places with the most 1 bedrooms under $3k in SF, and more available parking, are also the places that take the longest to get to Market St. It is actually better to live in Oakland or Berkeley, because just about everywhere in either city is a shorter trip to Market St than 1/2 of SF.

For example, I work in SOMA. It take me 30 minutes to get from Oakland to my office on the bus. It also takes my coworkers who live in the Marina, roughly 2-3 miles from SOMA in SF, 25 minutes via transit to get to work. People who live in the Outer Sunset/Outer Richmond neighborhoods have a 45-60 minute trek to downtown SF. The Inner Richmond/Inner Sunset are also 25-30 minute transit rides to downtown SF.

You also will not want to even consider driving to work to your office unless you have free parking. Parking in that vicinity is $30+ a day. Monthly parking in the garage is $350+

Old 04-21-2016, 10:59 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,794,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasaab View Post
The baby will be in a beautiful home down the road, not worried about that. Worried about the present right now, so if anyone can provide some good apartment complexes near SF, that would be wonderful.
Do you want to live within the city of SF? Regarding some good apartment complexes, it not that simple here to recommend a particular complex.....because, of the tight rental market in SF and cities close by. Do you have any preferences in regard to what type of apt and neighborhood you would like? For example, would you prefer a neighborhood that is walk-able in terms shops, cafe's, restaurants, stores ? There are micro climates in this area. For example, in the western neighborhoods of SF, summer often consists of a lot of cool, overcast weather days. If you and your wife like a lot of sun, then you might not be all that happy in those neighborhoods
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland