Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 02:31 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,722,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingFar View Post
I'm not sure if we fall under the category of rich or stupid, but we love it here. LOVE. The weather, breathtaking scenery, access to nature, intellectualism, diversity, food and culture ... those things just don't exist together anywhere else in this country.

Of course, we're originally from another very expensive city (NY) so paying $1000 per square foot for a property wasn't exactly sticker shock. Plus, we were lucky enough to be in a position to buy. House hunting was insanely stressful though. The housing crisis here is no joke.
I'll give you breathtaking scenery and access to nature, but weather, diversity and food? Not a snowball's chance in Hell.

The weather of the Bay Area is cool and foggy for most of the year. That's evident based on the clothing styles of the people who live there. Aside from the handful of exceptionally warm days, most people will be sporting long pants and long-sleeved shirts throughout the year. The only people in shorts and T-shirts are, for the most part, tourists.

Diversity? Please.

A large majority of Asian and Hispanic people living in the Bay Area don't even speak English. Mexicans and blacks everywhere in California hate each's other guts. Asian and Hispanic people have a lot of seething hatred for white people.

I'll give you a good example.

I work with a Filipino girl from Fremont. When she first mentioned that she was from the Bay Area, I asked where and, in the same breath, told her that I have extended family in Danville and San Ramon. Her first response was, "Those areas are affluent and not very diverse."

When I figured out that's code for "lots of white people," I was flabbergasted by what seemed like her knee-jerk response. That's neither what I was asking nor the subject of the conversation, but she clearly felt the need to assert that those areas are either unwelcoming to her as a minority or that they're not good places to live because they're not diverse or, more specifically, are home to mostly white people, even though that couldn't be further from the truth.

I've found this "us vs. them" mentality is pretty common among East Asians and, to a lesser extent, Mexicans in California. It's only exacerbated in the Bay Area because it's much more liberal than the rest of the state, so whites have a stronger tendency to sympathize and kowtow to the interests and agendas of minority residents.

For example, in and around the outlets in upscale Dublin (outer East Bay), there are directional and informational traffic and pedestrian signs in Asian languages. Don't ask me which Asian languages are printed on the signs - I'm a multi-generational American who speaks only English (like most people in the United States). However, the prevailing liberal mindset in the Bay Area would be that I'm unintelligible, uncultured and ignorant because I don't WTF Asian languages are printed on those signs.

Sorry, but last I checked, we live in America, and in America, we speak English. I simply have no interest in learning the language of a poor, corrupt Second or Third World country.

Oh, and the food sucks in the Bay Area - tiny portions of tasteless food that are extremely overpriced. Mexican, Italian, etc. all sucked. The dessert places were lousy and overpriced, too, with Bi-Rite Ice Cream leading the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 02:45 PM

677 posts, read 835,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
I'm a multi-generational American who speaks only English (like most people in the United States). However, the prevailing liberal mindset in the Bay Area would be that I'm unintelligible, uncultured and ignorant because I don't WTF Asian languages are printed on those signs.

Sorry, but last I checked, we live in America, and in America, we speak English. I simply have no interest in learning the language of a poor, corrupt Second or Third World country.
So did you vote for Donald Trump?

Old 04-27-2016, 02:46 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
I'll give you breathtaking scenery and access to nature, but weather, diversity and food? Not a snowball's chance in Hell.

The weather of the Bay Area is cool and foggy for most of the year. That's evident based on the clothing styles of the people who live there. Aside from the handful of exceptionally warm days, most people will be sporting long pants and long-sleeved shirts throughout the year. The only people in shorts and T-shirts are, for the most part, tourists.
Or the millions of people who live in the warmer suburbs.... Most of the Bay Area has average highs in the 70's and 80's for the majority of the year. So does your extended family in Danville and San Ramon wear long pants and long sleeved shirts from May through October?

Quote:
Diversity? Please.
Well if you look at data it actually is one of the most racially diverse places in the nation.

Quote:
A large majority of Asian and Hispanic people living in the Bay Area don't even speak English. Mexicans and blacks everywhere in California hate each's other guts. Asian and Hispanic people have a lot of seething hatred for white people.

I'll give you a good example.

I work with a Filipino girl from Fremont. When she first mentioned that she was from the Bay Area, I asked where and, in the same breath, told her that I have extended family in Danville and San Ramon. Her first response was, "Those areas are affluent and not very diverse."

When I figured out that's code for "lots of white people," I was flabbergasted by what seemed like her knee-jerk response. That's neither what I was asking nor the subject of the conversation, but she clearly felt the need to assert that those areas are either unwelcoming to her as a minority or that they're not good places to live because they're not diverse or, more specifically, are home to mostly white people, even though that couldn't be further from the truth.

I've found this "us vs. them" mentality is pretty common among East Asians and, to a lesser extent, Mexicans in California. It's only exacerbated in the Bay Area because it's much more liberal than the rest of the state, so whites have a stronger tendency to sympathize and kowtow to the interests and agendas of minority residents.

For example, in and around the outlets in upscale Dublin (outer East Bay), there are directional and informational traffic and pedestrian signs in Asian languages. Don't ask me which Asian languages are printed on the signs - I'm a multi-generational American who speaks only English (like most people in the United States). However, the prevailing liberal mindset in the Bay Area would be that I'm unintelligible, uncultured and ignorant because I don't WTF Asian languages are printed on those signs.

Sounds like a bunch of assumptions and projecting here on your part. Seriously get a grip.
Quote:
Oh, and the food sucks in the Bay Area - tiny portions of tasteless food that are extremely overpriced. Mexican, Italian, etc. all sucked. The dessert places were lousy and overpriced, too, with Bi-Rite Ice Cream leading the way.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion obviously but you're saying this about a place with one of the most renowned and highly rated food scenes in the country.

Old 04-27-2016, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatCurve View Post
So did you vote for Donald Trump?
In California, the presidential primary elections aren't held until June 7th.

Old 04-27-2016, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Well if you look at data it actually is one of the most racially diverse places in the nation.
You clearly missed my point because your liberal, politically correct attitude prevailed.

I never denied that the Bay Area was one of the most racially diverse metro areas in the United States. That, I know as do most people.

I was implying that diversity is a moot point when there isn't any cultural assimilation among immigrant groups or harmony and integration among various racial and ethnic groups.

If you can recall, the OP asserted that the diversity of the Bay Area was a huge selling point of the region, and I was saying that diversity, especially the scale of diversity that exists in urban California, fosters issues that are largely non-existent in most areas of the country.

And in my perspective, it seems like you're implying that it's OK for street signs in the United States of America to be in some Asian language as opposed to English. If that's the case, it's you who needs to get a grip, my friend.

Old 04-27-2016, 04:18 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
You clearly missed my point because your liberal, politically correct attitude prevailed.

I never denied that the Bay Area was one of the most racially diverse metro areas in the United States. That, I know as do most people.

I was implying that diversity is a moot point when there isn't any cultural assimilation among immigrant groups or harmony and integration among various racial and ethnic groups.

If you can recall, the OP asserted that the diversity of the Bay Area was a huge selling point of the region, and I was saying that diversity, especially the scale of diversity that exists in urban California, fosters issues that are largely non-existent in most areas of the country.

And in my perspective, it seems like you're implying that it's OK for street signs in the United States of America to be in some Asian language as opposed to English. If that's the case, it's you who needs to get a grip, my friend.
And you clearly missed my statement about all the stupid assumptions you were making and seems to just be projecting your own personal bias. And here you go doing it again by assuming I have a liberal, politically correct attitude.

As someone whose extended family includes every race and multiple ethnic groups I highly disagree that there is little integration among various racial and ethnic groups. Perhaps you live in a bubble.

No I don't mind if some signs are in other languages where it makes sense, don't really see the big deal or how it even effects you. Do you get easily confused by them or something? Do you get mad when they have signs in English in other countries? Personally I found it quite helpful.

Based on all the other incorrect BS in your previous post seems you're rather dramatic about everything. I think the whole "unintelligible, uncultured and ignorant" comes from other aspects of yourself than not knowing Asian languages on street signs.

Old 04-27-2016, 05:46 PM

1,099 posts, read 901,506 times
What in the world? I'd like to think you're not serious or just purposely being a troll. Seriously East Coaster...chill. Those are the craziest stereotypes I've ever heard to describe this area.

Old 04-27-2016, 07:21 PM

Quote:
In California, the presidential primary elections aren't held until June 7th.
Yes, I know. But your screen name is "Bert_from_back_East" and your post implies that you don't live in the Bay Area (so not even sure why you're reading this thread?).

Old 04-27-2016, 07:26 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,723,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatCurve View Post
Eichlers were built in the late-50's to early 60's as cheap affordable homes for the lower middle class. Has anyone priced an Eichler today, especially within a good school district? Not exactly "affordable" for the majority of the middle class (despite being 50-60 years old and worn out/outdated).
Makes me sick

Old 04-27-2016, 07:48 PM

Quote:
In most of Asia, many of the street signs are also in English. Does that mean all Asians also need to "get a grip"?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland