Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 12:02 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,638,738 times

Advertisements

I see your point, Perma. In my view, the issue is the old character is pretty much obsolete from an optimisation point of view. Back before the days when you didn't have another 10 levels worth of skill points to play with, and Intensive Training wasn't rendered completely pointless by Almost Perfect. Since they have hit level 30 and done all available DLC, I figure they might as well restart.

So some thoughts on SPECIAL:
Since all stats will eventually hit ten, what really matters in SPECIAL is the perks you can get on the way. However, since I can't rely on bobbleheads or Intensive Training to get high enough stats to reach perks (bobbleheads come after level 30, IT will not ever be taken as it's a wasted perk), they need to be high enough to start.

Str needs to be at least 5 for Strong Back. More is nice, but doesn't make much difference to melee attacks (two points of damage, yaaaay), and there's not THAT much loot before you get Strong Back.

Perception needs to be 6 (Better Criticals).

Endurance needs to be 5 (Toughness), but should obviously be a bit higher for some survivability.

Since there's now less useful perks per level (go on, name 30 genuinely must-have good ones), I'm tempted to put Charisma at 4 to get Child at Heart. Seems like some fun dialogue options.

Intelligence needs to be 4 minimum (Educated, Entomologist, Comprehension), but I'm tempted to leave it there. That still gives me 14 skill points a level up to level 4, then 17 onwards (with Educated) to level 30, for 484 total. Which should easily be enough to get everything to 100, with some dedicated book-hunting (37 skill points per skill + 10 bobblehead + 46 book [worst case] = 95. No skill should be less than 5 initially). Although I'm not entirely sure how much Almost Perfect will affect skills by itself; it seems that raising all stats to 10 could have a HUGE boost on most skills. I'll probably wait until level 30 before going book hunting, as I might not even need to. >.>

Agility needs to be 6, for a whole variety of perks.

Same with Luck. 6 needed for Better Criticals and Finesse.

This gives me 36 out of the 40 available SPECIAL points. Hmm. Drop an extra in L for more crits, another two in E for more hp, and a final one in I, just on principle. So initial stats:

S: 5
P: 6
E: 7
C: 4
I: 5
A: 6
L: 7

Tag! skills: Lockpick, Repair, and probably Energy Weapons. O:A and The Pitt can give you two pimptastic energy weapons straight out of the Vault, and I can pick up at least a laser pistol before then (Super Duper Mart, I think).

Thoughts? Comments? Improvements?

Last edited by HappyinCali; 04-29-2016 at 12:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 10:52 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,449,172 times
Yeah, despite how expensive the bay area is, I'm gonna call BS on this premise.

Old 05-02-2016, 06:15 PM

31 posts, read 37,035 times
I have to agree with you on that OP. I have lived in almost every part of the US and lived in 7 cities in 10 years. I would call San Francisco the most passively racist city in the US. People are polite to you on the face to a point where they seem like they don't want to offend you yet they do judge you based on your race.

As an Indian male, I am one of the most stereotyped persons in the world and nowhere more than the Bay Area. It is what it is and I am not complaining I just can't wait to get out of this expensive hellhole.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:20 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,723,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroomhunter View Post
I have to agree with you on that OP. I have lived in almost every part of the US and lived in 7 cities in 10 years. I would call San Francisco the most passively racist city in the US. People are polite to you on the face to a point where they seem like they don't want to offend you yet they do judge you based on your race.

As an Indian male, I am one of the most stereotyped persons in the world and nowhere more than the Bay Area. It is what it is and I am not complaining I just can't wait to get out of this expensive hellhole.
Amen. Why don't you buy in Vallejo though?

Old 05-02-2016, 10:43 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,449,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroomhunter View Post
How are you stereotyped in the Bay Area?

Old 05-03-2016, 12:09 AM

977 posts, read 1,011,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
While racism was more outwardly visible back then at least African American and other minorities could buy in specific neighborhoods. In the Bay Area they not only have to deal with subtle passive aggressive ( on the street and at work )racism but they also have no hope what so ever of buying their own homes. They had a better chance for a better life back then
Is actually* I blame auto correct
If racism is so bad why is everyone wanting in to America? If it's really that bad go back to where you came from. Or some major black city if your black.

Old 05-03-2016, 04:29 AM

1,289 posts, read 937,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle4321 View Post
If racism is so bad why is everyone wanting in to America? If it's really that bad go back to where you came from. Or some major black city if your black.
"And I am not a racist!"

Old 05-03-2016, 05:13 AM

270 posts, read 274,027 times
For my entire 3 years of college at Berkeley, I heard racial slurs or comments at a minimum of 4-5 days per week whether I was in the city for a day or on campus. They weren't always directed at me, but I would hear them while walking around. I'm half black, half Mexican, but most would classify me as Mexican based on looks so obviously my experience does not reflect the black experience.

It felt like people had it in for you if you weren't white or Asian (be it East or Indian) especially when renting out a home or when I was dating. Being older, I think they just associated wealth and status with with those ethnic backgrounds. I suppose they'll be in for a shock if they ever visit Mexico City.

I've been here in the South for 2 years now and not one racial comment has come my way nor have I heard any walking around town from a Southerner. On the other hand, every racial remark/comment I have heard the person was either from Ohio, Boston, New York, Seattle, or San Jose! Go figure...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland