Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2016, 12:05 AM

16 posts, read 60,734 times

Advertisements

Has anyone here went to "Cal Poly San Louis Obispo" ?

If so, what can you tell me about the school ?

I know the University is well known for its engineering departments however what about its college of Business and their Economics program.

I would like to get an overall impression of a person who attended that school and perhaps can also talk about their business department (Orfalea College of Business) etc...

In Addition how would you compare "Cal Poly San Louis Obispo" to "Cal State Fullerton" - University to university and business department to business department etc...???

Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2016, 07:00 PM

2,203 posts, read 3,360,232 times
My son goes to Cal Poly SLO, but his major isn't business. I've heard only positives about SLO's Orfalea business major and their masters program. Bloomberg Businessweek always ranks them pretty high.
Bloomberg Businessweek ranks Cal Poly

Nice town, too!

Old 05-01-2016, 12:49 AM

16 posts, read 60,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twins4lynn View Post
My son goes to Cal Poly SLO, but his major isn't business. I've heard only positives about SLO's Orfalea business major and their masters program. Bloomberg Businessweek always ranks them pretty high.
Bloomberg Businessweek ranks Cal Poly

Nice town, too!
One of the main things I like about their graduate programs are their length - 10 months long.

Old 05-04-2016, 01:04 AM

8,390 posts, read 7,644,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcvcvc View Post
One of the main things I like about their graduate programs are their length - 10 months long.
What else do you like?

Some questions to consider: Which masters in economics curriculum plan is the best match for preparing you for your career goals? Which program is the closest match to your interests in economics? Which offers the most flexibility in courses/electives? Which program offers the best opportunities for internships? Which has the stronger job placement support? Which has the most full time faculty dedicated to the graduate program? Which requires a comprehensive exam for graduation and which offers the option of writing a masters thesis? Do you prefer the more math-oriented, set in stone curriculum plan at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, or the more electives program at Cal State Fullerton? Which professors in the program at both schools are doing research or working in fields that interest you as possible career options? Does it matter whether you get a Masters in Arts in economics or a Masters in Science in economics? Does it matter that the program at San Luis Obispo is run through their extension college -- how will that affect the availability of courses, advising, and faculty when compared to Fullerton's program, which is run through the college of business? How hard is it to get into required and elective courses at both schools? To a lesser extent, you might also ask who your peers in the program will be -- part time students, full time students, students your age, older than you, students with similar academic strengths as you (admissions requirements will give you a clue about this).

All things being equal between the two programs (and the two programs have real differences) would you prefer to live in San Luis Obispo or Fullerton? Why?

If cost is a consideration (which it should be, even if your parents are paying), which will cost more? Which city will be more expensive to live in?

I don't mean to be hard on you, and I am sure that you have considered at least some of these questions already, but these are the types of questions you need to be asking yourself. Not just how quick can I get my masters. A quick graduate degree is useless if it doesn't help you delve into your interests and meet your goals, whatever those may be.

If you can't answer all of these questions, or can't explain what, exactly, you hope to get out of spending a year of your life getting a masters, perhaps that is why you are have a hard time making a decision and having to ask strangers to make the decision about which school you should go to. In that case, it might be a good idea to put off graduate school for a while until you have a clearer idea of what you hope to achieve with a graduate degree and can determine which program is the best fit. (Again, not meaning to be hard on you, and you may have all the answers to these questions already in mind and will make a great choice!)

Good luck!

Last edited by RosieSD; 05-04-2016 at 01:19 AM..

Old 05-04-2016, 04:25 PM

53 posts, read 94,886 times
The reputations of the schools are completely different. SLO is a prestigious school that is very very difficult to get into. Fullerton is more of a locals commuter school. SLO is funded and has an alumni association with some of the top company's in the country. After graduating from sLo you will have people offering you jobs left and right with high salaries. I would doubt the same with Fullerton. I was a undergraduate business major at Slo and I was making $130k within 18 months of graduation. It is a superb school with an impeccable reputation. If you get in, I would jump at the opportunity. The hard part is getting in. I had friends who got into Davis and all the UC's but couldn't get into SLO. I also had a friend who got into Stanford and Slo and picked slo. I got into many top notch schools and choose Slo- one of the best decisions of my life. It is a gear place to live too. Perfect weather, a relaxing environment, great professors. I miss it just remembering it. By the way, professors actually teach the classes and they keep class size small unlike most universities. They also have a "learn by doing" motto and many, many connections in the various industries so you will have access to unbelievable internship possibilities which leads to unbelievable job options.

Last edited by Midwestforme; 05-04-2016 at 04:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland