Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 02:47 AM

1 posts, read 903 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am a 25 French girl moving for work in a company based in SF bay area, with a $60K annual salary.
I always lived in Paris or big cities like this, and I love going out and partying.
It seems like rent in SF is really expensive.
I have two options:
- living in SF - but without a car and commute with BART to work
- living in the suburbs

What would you advice ?

Thanks a lot for your help ?

Pauline
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 07:09 AM

197 posts, read 271,307 times
You'll need to renegotiate your salary. It's not enough to live on, much less leave you extra money to go out for dinners, drinks, party.

For what it's worth, I know people who make $105,000 base salary and live in the city, with no car, no credit card debt, no cell phone or insurance expense, and they are struggling to survive due to rent costs.

You would definitely need to live with multiple roommates to get by. And even then, you'll have very little "net" income left over. California state income taxes are 2X that of other states in the USA. Your disposable income won't be much. And you certainly won't be able to save any money.

Old 05-23-2016, 08:48 AM

53 posts, read 72,201 times
Before my sister moved out of state, she lived in Oakland near Lake Merritt and loved it. She was at the end of the lake near where Grand Ave and Lakeshore Ave meet, on the streets near Bellevue and Euclid. She was in a one bedroom apartment in an older building, but only paid about $1100 per month. She did not have a car, but was able to get around by taxi, bus, BART, and this weird car rental thing that was right there on Grand Ave near Bellevue.

That area is super close to a TON of bars and restaurants. I spent a couple of "girls' night out" with her and we had way too much fun. There's limited parking, but that's fine since you won't have a car. And I never felt unsafe even though it's Oakland.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:56 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahhorselover View Post
Before my sister moved out of state, she lived in Oakland near Lake Merritt and loved it. She was at the end of the lake near where Grand Ave and Lakeshore Ave meet, on the streets near Bellevue and Euclid. She was in a one bedroom apartment in an older building, but only paid about $1100 per month. She did not have a car, but was able to get around by taxi, bus, BART, and this weird car rental thing that was right there on Grand Ave near Bellevue.

That area is super close to a TON of bars and restaurants. I spent a couple of "girls' night out" with her and we had way too much fun. There's limited parking, but that's fine since you won't have a car. And I never felt unsafe even though it's Oakland.
And now that apartment costs $2300-$2500. She hasn't lived in Oakland in a long time. Those prices sound like 4+ years ago

OP you need to find some roommates. You can't afford an apartment on your own.

Old 05-23-2016, 11:20 AM

901 posts, read 1,167,720 times
You can "survive" on 60k in the Bay Area, but you must be very very careful to budget properly, since you probably won't have any extra money at all. You may not be able to do many fun things. You will not have enough money to go out several times a week and pay for food and drinks. You will certainly be living with several other people; there is no chance you can get your own apartment anywhere within reasonable commuting distance of SF.

I would not do this move unless you are sure you are prepared to live this way. It could be fun for a year or so because you're young and single.

Old 05-23-2016, 12:18 PM

958 posts, read 1,147,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahhorselover View Post
Before my sister moved out of state, she lived in Oakland near Lake Merritt and loved it.. She was in a one bedroom apartment in an older building, but only paid about $1100 per month.

I will buy her time machine if she is selling it?

Old 05-23-2016, 12:55 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,230,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulineFrenchintheUS View Post
Hi everyone,

What would you advice ?
You likely will have to live with roommates.

Your take home pay is likely around $3,300 a month. So, the max you can afford is around $1,400 imo.

Look on craigslist.org. At first glance, you may think there are plenty of availability but don't be fooled these rooms go quickly and often with fierce competition. The summer is especially crazy, so be warned.

My advice, don't focus on neighborhoods, cast a wide net and go for the first one that takes you. Concentrate on the northern, eastern, and central neighborhoods if you want a lively surrounding. Just stay away from the Tenderloin and you should be fine.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:55 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times
The OP will need to live like a Parisian - one who lives at the outer edge of the 20th. It can be done, but will be a challenge both in terms of income and expenses.

Old 05-23-2016, 03:22 PM

53 posts, read 72,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
And now that apartment costs $2300-$2500. She hasn't lived in Oakland in a long time. Those prices sound like 4+ years ago

OP you need to find some roommates. You can't afford an apartment on your own.
She moved out in February of 2014, so just over 2 years ago.

Old 05-23-2016, 04:04 PM

572 posts, read 598,962 times
Hi Pauline -

There is a large and well established French speaking population in San Francisco. As others have said it's become very expensive to live in the SF bay area in recent years. A cultural connection goes a long way - I would try tapping into the French community in SF and see what people suggest or offer to you. There is at least one French school and I imagine there are community groups that you could look up. Sorry I don't have any links or contact info - maybe someone else does? Or maybe google in French...

To get into something that you can afford in a suitable area for a 25-year old girl on that salary you'll need to get a deal on an apartment or in-law unit from an acquaintance or you'll need some roommates or both!

Good luck to you. Enjoy your time in California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland