Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 02:41 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times

Advertisements

My Grandmother grew up on Eileen Street and her neighbor next door had a pony...

The elderly neighbor that lived on 90th in the family home on a city lot showed me a picture of him as a child... they kept a cow and his job was to mow yards to get enough grass for the cow so his siblings, 4 younger sisters would have fresh milk...

He would also go bird hunting with a shotgun down by the airport... getting on the Key System (Public Transportation) with his hunting gear and coming home with duck...

O'Dowd goes back the 50's... marching must have stopped sometime in the 60's but the girls still wore uniforms into the 70's and boys had a dress code that was very strict...

Boys had one entrance and girls another but that also stopped in the 60's...

In the 70's it was actually quite progressive... planned parenthood came to speak as did relatives of both Martin Luther King and Malcolm X

It is a well known college prep school and proud of it's 98th and Stearns location...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 02:50 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
My Grandmother grew up on Eileen Street and her neighbor next door had a pony...

The elderly neighbor that lived on 90th in the family home on a city lot showed me a picture of him as a child... they kept a cow and his job was to mow yards to get enough grass for the cow so his siblings, 4 younger sisters would have fresh milk...

He would also go bird hunting with a shotgun down by the airport... getting on the Key System (Public Transportation) with his hunting gear and coming home with duck...

O'Dowd goes back the 50's... marching must have stopped sometime in the 60's but the girls still wore uniforms into the 70's and boys had a dress code that was very strict...

Boys had one entrance and girls another but that also stopped in the 60's...

In the 70's it was actually quite progressive... planned parenthood came to speak as did relatives of both Martin Luther King and Malcolm X

It is a well known college prep school and proud of it's 98th and Stearns location...
Interesting, about O'Dowd. I didn't know that girls attended. A friend of mine was there in the mid-to-late 60's, and there was still marching. It must have stopped right after that.

There was a family down the street that had a couple of cows. I guess it was for milk for the family? I never thought about it. Sounds like that was something people did, back when. That large parcel was sub-divided, with the portion bordering the street turned into conventional lots. The last I saw it, when it went up for sale in the 90's, the back portion was still a half-acre lot with a little 2-br. house + basement room, made out of redwood. There was an era in the Bay Area for redwood bungalows; not sure when it was, but I've seen a few scattered around, and they're all done in a similar style.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 08-27-2017 at 03:39 PM..

Old 08-27-2017, 09:19 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,967,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
I looked up Kingsley Circle. That is in East Oakland, right? 51st Street is in North Oakland. Regardless, has the crime issue gotten any better? Sounds like you got a good deal.

I live near Whole Foods and back in 2011/2012 we averaged 1-2 street robberies A DAY. Just checked the stats and there was 1 street robbery in the past MONTH!!!!!!!!! Looking at other months is similar. Not sure if the criminals have been arrested, displaced to other jurisdictions,murdered. It doesn't really matter I suppose. Well, as long as things keep improving...
I was thinking 51st ave, but it is actually off Seminary. ...my mistake. I lived in 94705, very close to Whole Foods on Telegraph, and there were tons of robberies. And that area is way, way nicer than Kingsley Circle. The lady's house next door sold for 1.6 two years ago...A carjacking g right in front of the house when I lived there, and two Dollar crack rocks down by Flints BBQ.

Last edited by Hal Roach; 08-27-2017 at 10:01 PM..

Old 08-27-2017, 09:26 PM

My brother was always making runs to Flints when it was on East 14th and Havenscourt...

Everett and Jones started around the block from me at 92nd and East 14th...

Brother worked for the Oakland A's in high school and the club house VIP's loved Flints and it was his job to go get it... and a lot of it!!!

I heard the original location ran into Air Quality Management Issues and needed an expensive abator for using the wood fire...

Old 08-27-2017, 09:55 PM

I wasn't overly impressed with the BBQ places but my top Oakland meal was the fried catfish at jack London cafe, at the corner of embarcadero and Broadway. Ms. Kelly was from Louisiana, I believe...at that point, they had pretty much written off Jack London Square as a failure, and couldn't pay people to go out there..I doubt Last Chance Saloon is still there....how about the Ark? When did it finally sink?

Old 08-27-2017, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
I wasn't overly impressed with the BBQ places but my top Oakland meal was the fried catfish at jack London cafe, at the corner of embarcadero and Broadway. Ms. Kelly was from Louisiana, I believe...at that point, they had pretty much written off Jack London Square as a failure, and couldn't pay people to go out there..I doubt Last Chance Saloon is still there....how about the Ark? When did it finally sink?
I still take visitors to the Last Chance... use to to to the Sea Wolf but that is long gone.

There is Chicken and Waffles

http://homeofchickenandwaffles.com/

Old 08-28-2017, 01:44 AM

I zillowed it. 5738 Kingsley Cir. 94605....You can see it sold in 10-2009 for 50,000. And again on May 09, 2017 for 325,000. The (violent) crime map was a sea of red. They put some nice work into it... But, again, Ultra hit the nail right on the head. No one was interested, during the 80% off sale. Now, it is worth risking your entire financial future. Maybe that is part of Bubblenomics, maybe it is just plain old sheep mentality. I have bought four homes since then. I actually went to Summerlin Nevada, after passing on that one. Still, a lot of work on a REO condo, but nothing like that would have been, with much more risks on sewer, foundation, etc...Being on the east coast at the time, complicated matters..had I been there, it may have been different, but you might be surprised at the comments the realtors make about neighborhoods, of course, without being racist, but comments like you wouldn't want to go there, etc..when they didn't know a thing about me. 500% in 7.5 years? A gold miner would consider himself lucky.

Old 08-28-2017, 01:59 AM

Zillow says 1,003,000..on this beauty. I have seen robbers throw looted purses on the street in front of the house, perhaps on their way back to Richmond. I enjoyed free admission at Golden Gate Fields after 15:00, and free parking.
Attached Thumbnails
Sizzling housing: Deep East Oakland lures Bay Area homebuyers-berknorth.jpg  

Old 08-28-2017, 03:15 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,913,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Yep... built in the pre-depression boom of the 1920's and rather well built too...

I own several and even though they are the same... they varied... roof line, bay window, etc...

With garage they sold new under 3k... I bought two from original owners and one had the original contract which reads earnest money paid TEN DOLLARS US GOLD

The builder sold with 10 year mortgages and the lady I bought took in a boarder and laundry so they wouldn't loose their home...

It was different time... she said the shame would have killed her loosing her home and as long as she had a breath it was not going to happen... no strategic defaults common then.

Those $2800 stucco homes are now pushing 600k which would make it about $550 square foot.

2644 Bartlett St, Oakland, CA 94602 - realtor.com®

Another popular home of the time is Mediterran Style and they are similar in price... but most call them Spanish Style today.

I would be remiss not mentioning what is called Story Book homes... almost had one but was outbid in probate... really the most charming home I ever came close to owning...

Storybook Houses of the 1920s and 1930s | Kathie Berg

5717 N Picardy Drive, OAKLAND, CA, 94605 - MLS# 40792211 - Estately
Those are nice houses. It's hard to imagine those neighborhoods won't be gentrified pretty quickly.

Old 08-28-2017, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Those are nice houses. It's hard to imagine those neighborhoods won't be gentrified pretty quickly.
It's happening and crime is dropping... the real question is will this trend signal a lasting turn around... jury is still out because as late as 2007 I was seeing lots of new families and lots of neighbors making improvements... it was a wonderful thing and then the bottom fell out...

So here we are 10 years later and things are full circle...

The city is silently cashing in with the high transfer tax and higher assessed values... a lot of money is coming in and the challenge is to set some aside for lean times...

I've been through several market reversals... it gets ugly before turning around but in my tenure always comes back stronger even if the players have changed.

One thing I have seen is almost every single family home in my neighborhoods and the 4 that have changed hands in my parents old neighborhood have all sold to LGBT couples... only one couple has a child so schools may not be as important and all are very outgoing and happy to realize home ownership... all professional couples so I think they are not going anywhere... plus they have already seen appreciation...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland