Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 12:15 AM

397 posts, read 364,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roeldls View Post
SF and SJ number 1 and 2 nationally for jobs. Texas getting hit hard.

What will happen? Well, CA is big trouble. Outside of SF, the state is completely f'd. What does LA make or do? What does Fresno make or do? Zilch increasingly. Where do the smart kids go after college? Not bakersfield or SD..

But, so it is with many places in the nation, and it's not going to be pretty from here on out. Uncle sam may have to learn to speak Swedish, so as tio understand their economic theory before it's over.
Unprecedented, yes. I want to buy a luxury submarine. Would love to get away from this crowded land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2016, 12:34 AM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinfairfax View Post
I think the money will go toward gold/commodities/bitcoin. Bitcoin jumped from less than $500 to near $600 right now. If markets tank, watch for it to hit $1000 near gold again.

If I'm an individual investor or institutional investor, I don't see how I take my money out of equity and put it into real estate right now.

SV I think will be especially get hit. IPOs for past few years have dumped a lot of money around here. Right now its replaced with private capital. It'll be interesting to see if this continues.

I'm still betting on 20% decline in real estate by end of 2016.
Looking at a property right now that needs work... running the numbers it will make sense if I can buy it right and the return as a rental is far superior than money in CDs.

The only losses I have ever realized have been in the Stock Market...

Even when Real Estate tanked... my rents held steady or increased.

I don't invest in property that doesn't cash flow...

Old 06-11-2016, 02:19 AM

397 posts, read 364,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Looking at a property right now that needs work... running the numbers it will make sense if I can buy it right and the return as a rental is far superior than money in CDs.

The only losses I have ever realized have been in the Stock Market...

Even when Real Estate tanked... my rents held steady or increased.

I don't invest in property that doesn't cash flow...
I used to rent out. Too much work. Too many crazies out there 😉

Old 06-11-2016, 07:20 AM

4,369 posts, read 3,721,273 times
Quote:
Often with Stocks drop money flows to Real Estate...
That's not how it works at all. When stocks drop there's a recession. When there's a recession they care more about what's on the dinner plate and less about real estate.

Old 06-11-2016, 07:30 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,530,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roeldls View Post
SF and SJ number 1 and 2 nationally for jobs. Texas getting hit hard.

Texas unemployment rate is 4.4% CA is 5.3%

State Unemployment Rates | April 2016

Where I live (Austin), the rate is 2.9%

http://www.bls.gov/eag/eag.tx_austin_msa.htm

Old 06-11-2016, 07:35 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,530,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
That's not how it works at all. When stocks drop there's a recession. When there's a recession they care more about what's on the dinner plate and less about real estate.
Comparing the historical Nasdaq composite with the Case-Shiller would confirm this, but foreign investment has warped this relationship though. The US economy is not a closed system.

Old 06-11-2016, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner77 View Post
Comparing the historical Nasdaq composite with the Case-Shiller would confirm this, but foreign investment has warped this relationship though. The US economy is not a closed system.
Where the US goes so goes the rest of the world. If the economic crisis in China worsens I can see the money laundering stoping

Old 06-11-2016, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner77 View Post
Texas unemployment rate is 4.4% CA is 5.3%

State Unemployment Rates | April 2016

Where I live (Austin), the rate is 2.9%

Austin-Round Rock-San Marcos, TX Economy at a Glance
But then you have to live in Texas

Old 06-11-2016, 09:30 AM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
I work in the medical field and the Docs were picking up investment property left and right as a safe haven when the market was tanking...

Sure the investment property values were unstable BUT they made out like bandits in the income department... the yields after it was all said and done were 10 to 15 times money in the bank while the bottom fell out in the stock markets.

Can't speak for anywhere else... SF Bay Area is home and a lot of money flowed to Real Estate... over 40% of sales were all cash.

Amazing times to be sure...

There are still plenty I know that have sworn off the market forever... right or wrong... they will keep their rental properties that are paid for or have dirt cheap mortgages.

Old 06-11-2016, 09:53 AM

Quote:
I work in the medical field and the Docs were picking up investment property left and right as a safe haven when the market was tanking...

Sure the investment property values were unstable BUT they made out like bandits in the income department... the yields after it was all said and done were 10 to 15 times money in the bank while the bottom fell out in the stock markets.

Can't speak for anywhere else... SF Bay Area is home and a lot of money flowed to Real Estate... over 40% of sales were all cash.

Amazing times to be sure...

There are still plenty I know that have sworn off the market forever... right or wrong... they will keep their rental properties that are paid for or have dirt cheap mortgages.
I made out like a bandit when stock prices rise, what's your point? I also didn't get calls to fix General Motors sink at 3 am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland