Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 11:32 PM

11 posts, read 11,967 times

Advertisements

I grew up in the bay area. But I like Los Angeles better I think people it was more open-minded . It just seems when i smile at people, people frown, in la people say hi, and are more friendly. There's a snobiness from new transplants that i dont like. Ive had better luck with women in la, and every frigging person i meet is either a techie or starting up their own company. I used to think san francisco was only like that, post 2009 , but the whole bay area has become like this as more techies and hipsters move to the east bay. I cant stand that people who move here from other places can afford it but us natives cant unless were wealthy or have rent control. Yes most of the bay area is prettier but la has interesting people, more diversity, i love the beach, i also love excercising. Has anyone else felt like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2016, 07:14 AM

1,099 posts, read 895,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeleslover87 View Post
I grew up in the bay area. But I like Los Angeles better I think people it was more open-minded . It just seems when i smile at people, people frown, in la people say hi, and are more friendly. There's a snobiness from new transplants that i dont like. Ive had better luck with women in la, and every frigging person i meet is either a techie or starting up their own company. I used to think san francisco was only like that, post 2009 , but the whole bay area has become like this as more techies and hipsters move to the east bay. I cant stand that people who move here from other places can afford it but us natives cant unless were wealthy or have rent control. Yes most of the bay area is prettier but la has interesting people, more diversity, i love the beach, i also love excercising. Has anyone else felt like this?

Becoming? I think we're well past that. Read a few posts on this forum sometimes.

Old 06-24-2016, 11:42 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,007,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeleslover87 View Post
Talk about generalizing! Is this post for real or are you just trolling?

Any major metro anywhere in the world is going to have all types of people.

Where do I even begin to pick apart this ridiculous thread?

-I personally only know a very small handful of techies.

-I don't personally know anybody who owns a start-up company.

-The Bay Area has plenty of interesting people...and this is probably the first time I've ever seen somebody on this board talking about how interesting LA people are. Usually the stereotype of people from LA is that they're shallow and fake- which I also disagree with.

-The Bay Area easily has just as much diversity as LA.

-Plenty of people in the Bay Area love the beach.

-Plenty of people love to exercise. I myself just worked out at the gym this morning. Yesterday I went for a morning run...and the place where I normally go to run has lots of friendly people who wave and say "hi" to me all the time.

This is not to say that there is some bit of truth to some of what you're saying, but you're making very broad stereotypical generalizations.

I'm not sure why I wasted my time responding to this ridiculousness.

Old 06-25-2016, 01:02 AM

11 posts, read 11,967 times
I just have different experiences.

Old 06-25-2016, 10:27 AM

102,063 posts, read 106,896,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
Talk about generalizing! Is this post for real or are you just trolling?

Any major metro anywhere in the world is going to have all types of people.
Ding ding ding ding ding! We have a winner!
Quote:
Originally Posted by msthghu2;
Where do I even begin to pick apart this ridiculous thread?

-I personally only know a very small handful of techies.

-I don't personally know anybody who owns a start-up company.

-The Bay Area has plenty of interesting people...and this is probably the first time I've ever seen somebody on this board talking about how interesting LA people are. Usually the stereotype of people from LA is that they're shallow and fake- which I also disagree with.

-The Bay Area easily has just as much diversity as LA.

-Plenty of people in the Bay Area love the beach.

-Plenty of people love to exercise. I myself just worked out at the gym this morning. Yesterday I went for a morning run...and the place where I normally go to run has lots of friendly people who wave and say "hi" to me all the time.

This is not to say that there is some bit of truth to some of what you're saying, but you're making very broad stereotypical generalizations.

I'm not sure why I wasted my time responding to this ridiculousness.
Agree with all of the above.

OP. you say new transplants are snobby. So why hang out with them? I don't know any, myself, so I don't experience the aggravation you do. If it's not working for you, you have the choice of not subjecting yourself to their company. Problem solved! That was easy, wasn't it?

Interesting that you have better luck with women in LA. A lot of guys say the opposite; LA women are superficial; if you don't have looks and money, it's hopeless, blah blah. (More generalizations.)

OP, as a native Bay Area-ite, I would expect that you know the region is full of people who love the beaches, the redwood forests, and ell manner of exercise. Not sure where you're coming from with your comments on that score.

One thing I've always loved about the Bay Area is the friendliness. I'm sorry your experience has been otherwise. But at least you found a place where you're happy. That's the important thing.

Old 06-25-2016, 12:09 PM

23,281 posts, read 23,649,722 times
It's been heartless for a while, like any big city. But, you can find your utopia here if you look hard enough.

Old 06-25-2016, 12:25 PM

1,099 posts, read 895,017 times
With all respect to you Ruth (and you're one of the best posters on this site), my experience has been right up there with LosAngelesLover. You can say it's a generalization, however, like him, I believe it is better characterized as our experience (and therefore there is no "right" and "wrong" here). Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. We have one poster here that claims he sees hot chicks (as he describes them) on public transportation all the time (my experience is polar opposite from his). It doesn't necessarily mean either of us are wrong, it simply could mean we have totally different tastes (heck, we could be on the same bus and see the same people and feel that way). I think most of us would love to date/marry someone we find aesthetically pleasing, has a good heart, and have things in common with us. My own experience on an aesthetic level was that when I lived in the LA area (approximately 3 years total), the women there were much more attractive than the Bay Area, much friendlier (definitely approachable), and not superficial at all (I tend to feel that's a generalization I hear far too often about LA women). As for the Bay Area (and mostly SF), I found that most women were 4 to 5 notches below those in LA , but seem to think they were Supermodels (my friends used to call them 49ers...girls that were a 4 and thought they were a 9) and were extremely stuffy, not approachable, and very superficial. Are there attractive women in each locale? Of course. But I feel there are significantly more attractive women in Southern California, and like, anything else, it's a numbers game. If there's more competition, it tends to lend itself to humility. For me, it was quite a bit of work finding what I felt were suitable women to date. Of course, ultimately I met my wife of 31 years here, so I have no regrets. I have also mentioned a theory I've had that has held true most of my life (again, in my experience) that people in colder weather climates aren't as focused on physical attributes as those in warmer ones. I have visited many cold weather locations and was surprised to see so many more obese people than in warmer places (i.e. LA, San Diego, Florida...vs...Chicago, Minnesota, parts of Wisconsin, etc.). Were there places that didn't fall quite in line with that? Of course. But in general, that has been my experience. There are list out there that totally disagree with this (that's fine...again, this has been my experience).

There was another thread on this topic that went on forever with people arguing and calling each other stupid (not surprising, especially on this forum). Ultimately, everyone opinions are going to be different so to me, arguing about it is an exercise in futility. We should just leave it in beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Last edited by bodyforlife99; 06-25-2016 at 12:45 PM..

Old 06-25-2016, 12:52 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,697,911 times
I don't think the Bay Area is beach friendly unless you like jackets and bonfires.

As for attractiveness? As one of my LA friends said, there might be more natural beauties in the Bay, but women in LA try a lot harder (makeup, dressing up, heels etc). The Bay Area is full of people allergic to dressing up: male and female.

As for exercising? It is the same. California is an active state. As an acquaintance mentioned, in California, the gym is your church.

I don't know about your perception about everyone working in tech. Did you go to college around here? If so you can't be surprised, it is a popular place for college grads to land. I work in tech and know plenty of people who don't. You must be going to the wrong places or live in the wrong neighborhood. Unfortunately the mission has transformed and had way too many tech people. Where I live in Oakland? Not so much.

Old 06-25-2016, 02:16 PM

24,324 posts, read 26,708,197 times
If you don't think Bruce Jenner is a hero, the Bay Area is a very unaccepting place

Old 06-25-2016, 03:55 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,697,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
If you don't think Bruce Jenner is a hero, the Bay Area is a very unaccepting place
A lot of people think Bruce Jenner is a sports hero. Other people think he is an idiot for marrying into the Kardashian clan. They are more likely to be on the fence about Caitlin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland