Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2016, 10:34 AM

59 posts, read 47,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
If you work outside of SFs downtown core or along a Bart line, it is pretty annoying to get there from places outside the city. Case in point the Marina. Let's pretend you take Bart or drive. It takes 30 minutes on the bus (on a good day), 15-20 minutes in a car (on a good day) and 20 minutes (uphill) on a bike to get there. If I worked in non central SF, living outside of SF is out of the question. It would take me an hour to get to work in the Marina from Oskkand, and about 80-90 minutes to get to the Outer areas. Walnut Creek or San Ramon would tack on 20-30 more minutes.
Yes I understand that situation. Teachers especially have to deal with driving an hour to their school. I know people who work for Montclair State University that live in the Poconos, and people who live in Texas who drive an hour to teach in two different school districts.

Thank you for the information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2016, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageCats View Post
Girlinacafe,
I'm from northern NJ and moved to the Bay Area and back to South Jersey. Yes, it's shockingly expensive and makes Bergen County cheap by comparison. Come here, visit, see apartments - including in the suburbs (Pleasanton looks a lot like Ridgewood and Walnut Creek is a close 2nd. Both cities have BARTs to San Francisco.) Life is short so why not try? It didn't work for me but it might work for you.
The SFUSD does have teacher vacancies. If you and your husband can live in the suburbs and make at least $150K together, you should be able to rent a 1 bedroom apt for $2400 / month in the cities I told you about and work as a teacher.

Thank you!

Old 07-04-2016, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Optimistic bright eyed transplants make me shake my head, although watching them crash and burn is entertaining.
Me thinks you are jaded.

Old 07-04-2016, 11:02 AM

2,379 posts, read 1,812,357 times
OP, if the transportation costs can start adding up once you get out to areas such as Walnut Creek, Concord. As another posted already mentioned, if your job is not within walking distance from SF BART station, you have additional time expense involved. When and if the time comes to move here, I would suggest first see if you can make it work for you getting a apt in the Richmond/Outer Richmond, Sunset/Outer Sunset neighborhoods.....providing the coastal type weather would not be a issue for you.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/apa/5664687518.html

Last edited by tikkasf; 07-04-2016 at 11:13 AM..

Old 07-04-2016, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
OP, if the transportation costs can start adding up once you get out to areas such as Walnut Creek, Concord. As another posted already mentioned, if your job is not within walking distance from SF BART station, you have additional time expense involved. When and if the time comes to move here, I would suggest first see if you can make it work for you getting a apt in the Richmond/Outer Richmond, Sunset/Outer Sunset neighborhoods.....providing the coastal type weather would not be a issue for you.

Distinguished Inner Richmond Beautiful unit w/Laundry, Yard, Hardwood

Oh wow, thank you for that listing!

Beth

Old 07-04-2016, 12:06 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,812,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlinacafe View Post

Beth
The listing is not in a bad neighborhood. It's actually a good area and walking distance to shopping to shops, restaurants, cafe's and Green Apple Books. But, of course you would need to see the rental in person

Old 07-04-2016, 12:18 PM

677 posts, read 835,025 times
Quote:
Great article and thank you for introducing me to that platform.

Beth
You're welcome. Did you get a chance to read all of those answers, including the comments?

Quote:
Yes I understand that situation. Teachers especially have to deal with driving an hour to their school. I know people who work for Montclair State University that live in the Poconos, and people who live in Texas who drive an hour to teach in two different school districts.

Thank you for the information.
However, the difference may be that here you can drive for an hour but end up only going like 5 miles. Think trying to drive into Manhattan via the Lincoln Tunnel during rush hour.

Old 07-05-2016, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatCurve View Post
You're welcome. Did you get a chance to read all of those answers, including the comments?

However, the difference may be that here you can drive for an hour but end up only going like 5 miles. Think trying to drive into Manhattan via the Lincoln Tunnel during rush hour.
That site is amazing! I can sit for hours reading all the information on there. Commuting to Manhattan in a car is a nightmare. Bus or train is ok, but car Gah!

Beth

Old 07-05-2016, 02:52 PM

677 posts, read 835,025 times
Quote:
That site is amazing! I can sit for hours reading all the information on there. Commuting to Manhattan in a car is a nightmare. Bus or train is ok, but car Gah!

Beth
Yes, Quora has questions and answers on just about any topic you can think of. Here's another related question you may find interesting:

https://www.quora.com/Should-I-leave-the-Bay-Area

The thing is, almost everyone in the Bay Area commutes by car. Hence the atrocious traffic.

Old 07-05-2016, 03:04 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:

Beth
OP, I saw that listing days ago, but didn't post it, because frankly, you can do much better than that in the Richmond. The bedrooms look small, and the place looks shabby. Please do thorough research on craigslist and compare prices & apartments to get a better idea of the market before you make a serious move to bid for an apt. (There will be competition, so have all your documents lined up and ready to fax.) It pays to shop around and invest some time in internet research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland