Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 09:11 AM

323 posts, read 697,262 times

Advertisements

It reads like she is abusive taking unfair advantage of elderly people. I would try and contact a senior center to determine if there is advocacy group for Seniors who are unable to legally cope with this sort of a situation. To me this smells of some sort health issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 12:28 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
How does someone break a door? And all the furniture? Yikes! How does someone get to stay in a place when they're constantly late with the payment, not to mention that they're attracting vermin?

Your relatives don't have to do anything, OP. They can simply announce that they need to re-occupy that room. People get evicted all the time--technically not an eviction--because the owner "needs" to move back into the premises, so the owner or LL simply chooses to not renew the lease, and gives notice of that to the tenant. Granted, this is SF we're talking about, but still, SF isn't Berkeley, which has even stricter pro-tenant laws.

Also, LL's are allowed 1 inspection/year. If there has been damage, the LL can require restitution, I imagine. Clean-up can be required (which you said you put into the new agreement). I think your family has more recourse than they've been exercising. Maybe because it's a sub-tenant, and they're not the owners, they've been reluctant to push the envelope, and/or haven't researched the law and their rights. The time to do that is overdue.

Old 07-12-2016, 02:28 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,812,753 times
OP;
I am not going to address the issue of the broken door, late rent and how to extricate yourself in a legal manor from the sublet situation.
IF this person is a hoarder, then it not something that can be easily overcome by the individual with the disorder. I know someone who has this problem, home is like a landfill I heard from a mutual friend. The disorder can worsen as the person ages. There is not a prescription of some magic pill that can be counted to make the problem suddenly go away. "Exposure" therapy is one method used to try and get control of the disorder. I think the disorder is not fully understood.
yet
https://www.psychiatry.org/patients-...rding-disorder

Old 07-12-2016, 02:38 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
In that vein ^^^, it's possible that the person is ill in some way (not that that's your problem, OP). She could have clinical depression, or a medical condition (chronic fatigue/adrenal fatigue). A trashed environment can be a symptom. That doesn't explain all the breakage, though.

Old 07-12-2016, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdev View Post
So your family basically has an sublet that more than likely violates their lease conditions, and you're asking for help?

If it were me, I'd come clean with the owner and ask for their help.

Your family might get into some hot water with the owner, but at least you'll be doing the right thing.

Although you did mention they live in SF. Sorry, but, lulz, with all the kooky over-the-top liberal laws, good luck every getting the woman out of there.
" new tenant-protection ordinance passed by the Board of Supervisors and sponsored by Jane Kim that allows tenants to add roommates in a unit up to those set by the city housing code and regardless of lease stipulations"

Landlords Try To Gut Roommate Provision In New Tenant Law Via The Rent Board, Fail: SFist

Old 07-12-2016, 06:17 PM

958 posts, read 1,146,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daepro View Post
It reads like she is abusive taking unfair advantage of elderly people. I would try and contact a senior center to determine if there is advocacy group for Seniors who are unable to legally cope with this sort of a situation. To me this smells of some sort health issue.
Now youre thinking sf! Gotta outvictim the victim on the scale of victimology. Otherwise they will wind up with anarchist protestors demanding that the hoarder stays...

Old 07-12-2016, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
" new tenant-protection ordinance passed by the Board of Supervisors and sponsored by Jane Kim that allows tenants to add roommates in a unit up to those set by the city housing code and regardless of lease stipulations"

Landlords Try To Gut Roommate Provision In New Tenant Law Via The Rent Board, Fail: SFist
my god the supervisors are beyond worthless. If i owned in sf, i would evict and SELL. That will surely help put more rental units on the market... what are those morons thinking?

When is mario woods day again?

Old 07-12-2016, 06:23 PM

Looked it up and mario woods day is july 22nd! Where will YOU be celebrating? Lol...

Old 07-12-2016, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boulder2015 View Post
my god the supervisors are beyond worthless. If i owned in sf, i would evict and SELL. That will surely help put more rental units on the market... what are those morons thinking?

When is mario woods day again?
That is understandable if you owned a apt in SF, wanting to sell and get out of the rental business. But, you would likely be required to pay a relocation fee to each of the tenants you are evicting for the purpose of selling the building....I believe the fee is approx. a bit over $5k, higher for someone elderly or disabled

Old 07-12-2016, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
In that vein ^^^, it's possible that the person is ill in some way (not that that's your problem, OP). She could have clinical depression, or a medical condition (chronic fatigue/adrenal fatigue). A trashed environment can be a symptom. That doesn't explain all the breakage, though.
What appears to be hoarding could be a symptom of some other psychological issue or some form of mental illness.....My sense of things going just by what OP has posted so far, is whatever is going on with the roommate is likely beyond her ability to rein it in herself. I would suggest OP avail themselves to low cost or free tenant counseling services in SF to find out the proper way to extricate themselves from this situation.....it might also be a good idea to put a call into Social Services.....perhaps they can send out a social worker to talk to your tenant and perhaps refer her to where she can get some low cost/no cost help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland