Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 09:36 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,021,404 times

Advertisements

Thanks! Thought so. BTW, great finds!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2016, 05:29 PM

168 posts, read 165,272 times
Thanks for the photos and the memories. I was an Oakland/Berkeley kid, but I went to San Francisco to see Star Wars...apparently at the Coronet, though I'd lost that specific memory. (I haven't seen a movie since.) Most of my memories are of the East Bay, though I worked and went to concerts at the Keystone Korner, 750 Vallejo.

I have no personal recollections of the Condor club. (Spoken as an adolescent male.)

Old 08-03-2016, 02:46 PM

675 posts, read 1,189,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyforlife99 View Post
I did. But by that time, it had been cut up into 3 theatres. And yes, the outside was really cool looking and it was probably something to see when it was a single theatre. I distinctly remember going there to see "Carrie" with a good friend and his sister. She was only 16, so we had to make sure she got in before we bought our tickets (back then "R" meant "R" and no one got in unless your were 17 or accompanied by an adult guardian). She got carded and couldn't get in so we switched and saw "Silver Streak" which ended up being a great move (we loved it and were laughing through the entire movie....ahh that crazy Gene Wilder).

The Big 3 (as mentioned in my earlier post) were the Coronet, the original Regency, and the Northpoint. It was such a different time for movies back then, and if you went to one of those theatres, it was typically a big to do. You couldn't buy tickets on-line (there was no internet) and often had to go pick up tickets earlier in the day and then arrive quite early to make sure you got a decent seat. Back then, a theatre had to be a certain distance away from another theatre to be able to play day-and-date (as they called it in the industry...not sure if I ever mentioned that in my previous life, I actually ran multiplex theatres for roughly 7 years). Because of that, it made the movie going experience a little more special. And then you had the exclusive Northern CA engagement, and now we're talking premiere, extra special, you da man in your neighborhood if you saw that movie. Needless to say, it didn't happen often and now we're talking STAR WARS!!!

When Star Wars came out, it was an exclusive and the only place you could see it in the city was the Coronet. I believe the next closest theatre playing it was in Marin. I don't remember how far in advance you could buy your tickets (might have only been a day or two). But people would wait in line for tickets and then wait in line for 3-4 hours to get into the theatre (and the line went down Geary, break for the intersection, and then down the next block, and then down another block). I've heard stories about people having life long friendships after meeting someone for the first time in line for a Star Wars movie (how often do you hear something like that now). I believe the theatre held approximately 1300 seats and the presentation was incredible. I remember playing outside (we had a neighborhood of about 12 guys) and one of the guys said they had seen Star War. Our eyes flew open....you're kidding....you saw Star Wars!. And we all ran over to the steps and sat down while our friend spent the next 15 to 20 minutes telling us about the whole experience as we all listened in amazement and asked questions to get all the ins-and-outs, so when we went, we would be in the know. And these long lines went on for months. And when you finally got your turn to see it, it was really something. The anticipation while you waited in line, the rush to get a decent seat when you got in, and how special you felt when the lights went down and everyone cheered, as those words scrolled up the screen (and needless to say, the movie didn't disappoint). And I'm not even a Star Wars geek (I haven't seen one since the opening trilogy). But when someone brings back the memory of those times, I get goose bumps.

By far, Star Wars was the biggest movie that ever played at the Coronet and nothing came remotely close to matching it, but "The Godfather" was a pretty big deal also. My fondest memory of the Regency was "The Sting" (saw "Indiana Jones" there also), and I've already mentioned some of the movies I saw at the Northpoint.

Of course, no theatre story would be complete without me mentioning about going "Ape for a Day". That was when the Warfield had all 5 Planet of the Apes movies for $1. Can you imagine sitting in a theatre from Noon until 10 at night cheering for the Apes to conquer the humans, lol (I find it hard to sit through a movie that is over 2 hours now). I think I see myself in that picture.

Special times indeed.

The marquee, I did that back in the 70s when I lived in Queens NY, saw all 4 Planet of the Apes movies in 1 day lol. Never ate so much butter popcorn in my life.

Old 08-19-2016, 05:45 PM

1,099 posts, read 900,758 times
Thank you guys for contributing also. Ah, Playland at the Beach (that comment brought back some memories). And who could forget Woolworth's. Remember Laffing (Laughing) Sal at the Fun House?

I remember going there about 6 months prior to its closing. They had a little maze when you walked through the Fun House and occasionally you would be surprised by a blast of air. Near the end, I would never get blasted. And then one day, I noticed the air just kept blasting and this girl was screaming. Not once did I get blasted, but that girl got blasted multiple times throughout the maze. I was scratching my head wondering why she kept getting blasted and noticed she was wearing a dress. Then I looked around and saw a guy in a booth with his hand on a button (which was apparently the blasting button). The dirty old man just wanted to get a look at what was under the girl's dress. I shook my head and said...damn lucky pervert, lol!

Old 08-20-2016, 12:07 PM

505 posts, read 368,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyforlife99 View Post
Thank you guys for contributing also. Ah, Playland at the Beach (that comment brought back some memories). And who could forget Woolworth's. Remember Laffing (Laughing) Sal at the Fun House?
That ***** used to terrify the hell out of me when the parents took me to Playland.

Old 08-22-2016, 06:25 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,905,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordin View Post
That ***** used to terrify the hell out of me when the parents took me to Playland.
Have you seen the laughing sal's either at Pier 45 (Musee Mechanique) or on the boardwalk in Santa Cruz?

The Pier 45 place has some interesting stuff from that period, especially Playland stuff, which I've always found fascinating. I wish something like Playland still existed out at the beach...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland