Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 03:47 PM

52 posts, read 61,628 times

Advertisements

Job possibility in San Francisco. I know rent is insanely high and I wasn't even going to apply for a job there, but now I have an interview with a job that might, with luck, pay about $60-65k a year. Which, I know, is the equivalent of making half that wage in places like Texas.

What should I budget for rent for a private room at some place comfortable but not extravagant, with easy access to the city center? I don't want a really long commute so don't want to live in outlying cities. Is $1500 a reasonable limit, or should I expect to pay closer to $2k for all living expenses? I've been scouring craigslist and saw some private rooms for around $1200-1500, and a few even less, but it's hard to know common these are. Also, most places ask for split utilities. What would gas/electric/wifi run on average in an apartment with, say, 2 other roommates?

I know the car's probably not coming along, unless street parking is unusually accessible. Any other culture shock I should prepare for?

Me: mid-40s, good job, excellent credit, no debt, no kids or pets
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2016, 04:10 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Depends in part on where your job is. Take the higher estimate to be on the safe side: 1500. If you live farther out (west side of town, SW is even cheaper) you could get less, but you wanted easy access to downtown/city center, so that will cost you more. Avoid the Tenderloin; cheaper, but not worth it to put up with a scuzzy part of town. Beware that some listings calling themselves "Nob Hill" can be on the edge of the Tenderloin.

Old 07-30-2016, 04:26 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,070,027 times
Well, what most posters are going to say is "renting a room doesn't count as living. Don't move to California unless you make 250k and plan on buying your own SFH." I think that's stupid but that's what people say on here.

Now, the answer from somebody who lives here in the Bay Area and makes less than 250k. I make $12/hr and I live here.

It all depends. If you are willing to share the room you can go down to 500 or less. I share a one bedroom apartment and I pay $500. If it has to be a room to yourself, more like 700-1000.

Craigslist is how everybody does it.

Aug 1 Presidio Room

Private BR in 2BR 2 Living Room Apartment

2bd/ 1bath Clean Apartment/ Great location

Old 07-30-2016, 04:55 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,815,179 times
SF bay area rooms for rent & shares available - craigslist

Old 07-30-2016, 04:59 PM

I would pass on something like this......
Looking for a new roommate to fill final spot (in 30 person house)

Old 07-30-2016, 05:02 PM

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/roo/5704868871.html

Old 07-30-2016, 09:17 PM

52 posts, read 61,628 times
I'd have to have my own room--I need privacy with a door that closes. Also would rather not have more than 2 other roommates. Any tips on picking roommates when I haven't had any in 20 years?

Also, should I plan on keeping my car or ditch it? I'd prefer keeping it but not if it will be really expensive or a huge hassle. Are some neighborhoods more friendly with street parking, or is it like trying to park in NYC?

Old 07-30-2016, 09:44 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,070,027 times
I think you could do 1000 with two roommates. Just keep looking on Craigslist, that's where the listings are. This, for example:

895/month, two roommates.

You have to pick through things to determine how many roommates there will be.

Now you do have a little bit of a problem if you're trying to find the room while you're still in Texas. To rent places like this, they generally want you to meet with them face to face so they can feel you out. In theory, it would be best if you had the budget to stay in a hotel for a month while you're looking for a place.

When I lived in downtown San Jose, I had to go to like five different candidate places from craigslist before I found roommates who were interested in me and in whom I was interested. I found a couple of dudes who were business majors at SJSU, and they shared a living room. I rented the bedroom of the apartment for $600/month. The total rent on the one bedroom apartment was $966.

Parking is quite difficult in SF. You may in fact want to ditch the car, at first. It depends on the building where you rent the room.

Last edited by neutrino78x; 07-30-2016 at 09:54 PM..

Old 07-31-2016, 05:56 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,023,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theotherhand View Post
Job possibility in San Francisco. I know rent is insanely high and I wasn't even going to apply for a job there, but now I have an interview with a job that might, with luck, pay about $60-65k a year. Which, I know, is the equivalent of making half that wage in places like Texas.

What should I budget for rent for a private room at some place comfortable but not extravagant, with easy access to the city center? I don't want a really long commute so don't want to live in outlying cities. Is $1500 a reasonable limit, or should I expect to pay closer to $2k for all living expenses? I've been scouring craigslist and saw some private rooms for around $1200-1500, and a few even less, but it's hard to know common these are. Also, most places ask for split utilities. What would gas/electric/wifi run on average in an apartment with, say, 2 other roommates?

I know the car's probably not coming along, unless street parking is unusually accessible. Any other culture shock I should prepare for?

60K a year. Doable, but don't necessarily expect luxury (it sounds like you don't).
If you make it, enjoy the city!

Old 07-31-2016, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theotherhand View Post

I currently averaging $60 a month for utilities for my bedroom apt in the western area of SF.
I would assume just renting a room would result in a lower average amount for you

Also, keep in mind, the western neighborhoods have a fair amount of cool, overcast weather days. That may or may not be a issue for you. Today & yesterday, overcast, upper 50s in my area....no sun.

What you see posted on CL is pretty much what you can expect to pay for a room here. CL is likely the primary source used to search for rooms for rent.
Don't let your hopes get too high on a listing, until you see the room in person. If you see a prospect, post the ad here for feed back regarding the neighborhood and any other comments that may be offered
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland