Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 11:56 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,312,486 times

Advertisements

I'd like to get the perspective of those here who have lived in the area a long time. I've been here since '89. The first time I met some people from Oakland, I was struck at how angry and racist many of the black people where. They talked of a "revolution", looking down at any interracial unions, "us and them." Tremendous lack of self-respect among the blacks there, and lack of respect for each other. Black on black crime is rampant and "hate whitey" is so engrained among many of the blacks I know who live in Oakland. I'd like to hear from blacks in Oakland who don't feel this way and from those who know what I mean.

But my question is, if blacks in Oakland are so full of hate, why hasn't this been diminished over the last 50 years with San Francisco being so liberal? Wouldn't you think that hatred wouldn't be so rampant since San Francisco opens its arms to blacks, being the bastion of liberal thinking? Or is it the case that San Francisco is the city of the haves and Oakland is the city of the have-nots, which creates the tension (economic-based). How can blacks in Oakland be so angry and racist being next door to one of the most liberal areas of the country? Something doesn't add up.

Any insights? You oldtimers help me understand the dynamics of this area and where I might be off base. No offense to anyone with my comments and I'm not intending on starting a flame war here. Just interested in some intelligent insights in an attempt to resolve a perceived paradox.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 01:22 AM

36,636 posts, read 67,229,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
I'd like to get the perspective of those here who have lived in the area a long time. I've been here since '89. The first time I met some people from Oakland, I was struck at how angry and racist many of the black people where. They talked of a "revolution", looking down at any interracial unions, "us and them." Tremendous lack of self-respect among the blacks there, and lack of respect for each other. Black on black crime is rampant and "hate whitey" is so engrained among many of the blacks I know who live in Oakland. I'd like to hear from blacks in Oakland who don't feel this way and from those who know what I mean.

But my question is, if blacks in Oakland are so full of hate, why hasn't this been diminished over the last 50 years with San Francisco being so liberal? Wouldn't you think that hatred wouldn't be so rampant since San Francisco opens its arms to blacks, being the bastion of liberal thinking? Or is it the case that San Francisco is the city of the haves and Oakland is the city of the have-nots, which creates the tension (economic-based). How can blacks in Oakland be so angry and racist being next door to one of the most liberal areas of the country? Something doesn't add up.

Any insights? You oldtimers help me understand the dynamics of this area and where I might be off base. No offense to anyone with my comments and I'm not intending on starting a flame war here. Just interested in some intelligent insights in an attempt to resolve a perceived paradox.
Its obvious by this post and countless other such comments that San Franciscans preoccupy themselves with Oakland far more often then vice versa.

Old 02-20-2008, 03:02 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,312,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Its obvious by this post and countless other such comments that San Franciscans preoccupy themselves with Oakland far more often then vice versa.
This hasn't been my experience, but please explain further in the context of the topic of this thread.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
This hasn't been my experience, but please explain further in the context of the topic of this thread.
In the context of this thread?

Oakland is a bubble if ever there was one in the Bay Area. Very little attention is given to the outside-especially by people in the hood. I knew a lot of people growing up who had never even been to San Francisco-in fact, having lived in a predominantly black neighborhood for a time, SF was usually only referenced when referring to sports teams. Which is why I find it odd that you would state that black people there are angry at White people in San Francisco.

Such an assumption would be totally wrong and all really unnecessary because whites are Oakland's largest racial group and their median income levels are quite high. If blacks hold grudges against a group of white people-doesnt it make sense that theyll hold said grudge against the people with whom they have the closest contact? Why even bother with SF?

Not only that, but Oakland has one of the largest concentrations of wealthy and highly educated blacks in America-in fact they constitute a good percentage of Oakland's black households.

I swear, the formulated views people have of Oakland sometimes borders on strange.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:53 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,150,569 times
Quote:
In the context of this thread?

Oakland is a bubble if ever there was one in the Bay Area. Very little attention is given to the outside-especially by people in the hood. I knew a lot of people growing up who had never even been to San Francisco-in fact, having lived in a predominantly black neighborhood for a time, SF was usually only referenced when referring to sports teams. Which is why I find it odd that you would state that black people there are angry at White people in San Francisco.

Such an assumption would be totally wrong and all really unnecessary because whites are Oakland's largest racial group and their median income levels are quite high. If blacks hold grudges against a group of white people-doesnt it make sense that theyll hold said grudge against the people with whom they have the closest contact? Why even bother with SF?

Not only that, but Oakland has one of the largest concentrations of wealthy and highly educated blacks in America-in fact they constitute a good percentage of Oakland's black households.

I swear, the formulated views people have of Oakland sometimes borders on strange.
I don't live in the Bay, but I will be soon. The last time I checked, reports showed that Oakland was majority black.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
I don't live in the Bay, but I will be soon. The last time I checked, reports showed that Oakland was majority black.

You will find no such report.

Oakland has had no racial "majority" for about 25 years. Whites are now the largest racial group in Oakland having surpassed blacks in 2005.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:49 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,150,569 times
Quote:
You will find no such report.

Oakland has had no racial "majority" for about 25 years. Whites are now the largest racial group in Oakland having surpassed blacks in 2005.
Outdated report possibly. Thanks anyway.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
Outdated report possibly. Thanks anyway.
When I was born in the 70s, I believe Oakland was 60% black but that has steadily eroded as many have moved to middle class suburbs. This coupled with the resurgence of whites due to gentrification and the influx of asian and hispanic immigrants has created one of the most diverse cities in the world.

Old 02-20-2008, 10:22 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,305,162 times
What an odd theory...

Old 02-20-2008, 11:03 AM

28,107 posts, read 63,452,226 times
Default Only from my Observations

Entire neighborhood that were predominantly Black in the mid 60's and 70's became Asian in the 80's and are now predominantly Hispanic, starting around 2000.

Areas, where the number of home turnovers are not as frequent have not seen such a dramatic shift.

The city renamed a major thoroughfare from E 14th to International Blvd to more accurately reflect the transformation. The Fruitvale district has experienced a tremendous growth of business catering to the Spanish Speaking Population and all along International Blvd to the San Leandro Boarder as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland