Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 05:34 PM

323 posts, read 1,423,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Boy View Post
When was the last time any of you have been to NYC? There is nothing that I would call clean about it? I know the whole Rudy Cleaning up the city thing has been a big marketing ploy but it's still MUCH dirtier than SF. It's like when people say NYC is safe, it's hardly what I would call safe.
Looks fairly clean to me :
http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...york-pics.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 05:49 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,282,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevcy View Post
Those photos do not prove anything . Go around different parts of SF and you can take the same kind of "clean" looking photos. I don't see any trash in this downtown SF photo either.

Old 02-20-2008, 06:11 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,240,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
SF certainly isn't the cleanest city in the world, but I wouldn't call it filthy either... NYC is much dirtier in my opinion . . .
You should get back to NYC and look around. We were there recently and walked all over Manhattan from Central Park south to the WTC site. The place is immaculate compared to SF.

Old 02-20-2008, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Boy View Post
Those photos do not prove anything . Go around different parts of SF and you can take the same kind of "clean" looking photos. I don't see any trash in this downtown SF photo either.
Observe when you walk around. You will realize the truth.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:13 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,822,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizbin View Post
You should get back to NYC and look around. We were there recently and walked all over Manhattan from Central Park south to the WTC site. The place is immaculate compared to SF.
I go to NYC about once a year, and have been fairly recently... guess it depends on what parts you're in, and when the last garbage pick-up was! Part of my family is from NYC, and my brother lives there now - so it's not like I'm hating on them or anything, since I'm 1/2 New Yorker.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Observe when you walk around. You will realize the truth.
I've observed PLENTY, and yes it has some very dirty areas... but overall it's still cleaner than many other big cities. And to add another picture, here's my actual neighborhood in SF - does it look filthy to you? Maybe you've been hanging out at Civic Center too much...

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p302/gizmo980/SF%20House/neighborhoodview2.jpg (broken link)

Old 02-20-2008, 07:34 PM

Quote:
I've observed PLENTY, and yes it has some very dirty areas... but overall it's still cleaner than many other big cities. And to add another picture, here's my actual neighborhood in SF - does it look filthy to you? Maybe you've been hanging out at Civic Center too much...
I am not saying it is filthy everywhere. But the heart of SF(Financial District, Mission, Chinatown, parts of North Beach, Civic Center) are filthy...

btw, which neighborhood is that? I'm sure your rent won't be affordable to many

Old 02-20-2008, 07:41 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,316,968 times
The dirtiest parts have greater foot traffic. The trash doesn't just come out of nowhere.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:54 PM

Quote:
I am not saying it is filthy everywhere. But the heart of SF(Financial District, Mission, Chinatown, parts of North Beach, Civic Center) are filthy...
Like krudmonk said, the places with more foot traffic will inevitably have more trash... squish nearly 1 million people into a 7x7 sq. mile peninsula, and what else can you expect? Oh, but I think North Beach & Chinatown are quite clean, with the exception of Broadway St. (where the strip clubs are) - and even that isn't dirty, just sleazy.

Quote:
btw, which neighborhood is that? I'm sure your rent won't be affordable to many
LMAO because I live in Bayview! So yes, it's quite affordable, which is why I ended up there instead of Presidio or Nob Hill (for example). Granted, it's the "nice" part of Bayview/HP, but we don't pay much more than the bad parts - only $2100 for the entire 3bd/2ba house. Unlike some people, I'm not scared by the 94124 zip code, and so glad I gave it a chance when I saw it on craigslist!

Old 02-20-2008, 09:08 PM

Quote:
LMAO because I live in Bayview! So yes, it's quite affordable, which is why I ended up there instead of Presidio or Nob Hill (for example). Granted, it's the "nice" part of Bayview/HP, but we don't pay much more than the bad parts - only $2100 for the entire 3bd/2ba house. Unlike some people, I'm not scared by the 94124 zip code, and so glad I gave it a chance when I saw it on craigslist!
Often wondered Bayview did look good in pics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland