Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is Colin Kaepernick's motivation for his protest?
He's very much concerned about the country and how racial discrimination is effecting it 41 32.80%
It is a cry for attention as he's about to become irrelevant and he knows it. 50 40.00%
He feels the team won't cut him now because they're scared of the backlash, thereby taking away attention from his poor play. 22 17.60%
Other 12 9.60%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 11:49 AM

1,099 posts, read 901,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
If I had to pick athletes that I thought were spoiled brats, Kaepernick would not be anywhere near the top ten. For the year 2016, I would definitely put Hope Solo and Ryan Lochte on that list. They were disrespectful not only to Americans, but to the entire world with their behavior. CK has behaved with class by comparison.
Eh. Opinions vary.

POLL: After protests, Colin Kaepernick now 'most disliked' player in NFL - CBSSports.com

But he can at least wave his foam finger and say he's #1. He even beat out Jameis Winston, a person many believed raped a woman and was let off by a corrupt justice system in his locality that did everything they could to protect their Heisman Trophy winner.

When you become a polarizing figure, you will have extremes on both sides. Your jersey sales don't go up when you are a bench warmer with a flailing career. They go up because extremists in and out of football will buy it to cheer you or with the intent of burning it. And oh looky, he made the cover of Time Magazine too. I'm sure his girlfriend is proud of him. They should have left his "natural" on for more impact. I wonder what Time Magazine's motivation was by giving him a different look than the one he has had since he started this protest (or maybe I missed it...someone correct me if I did).

http://www.sfgate.com/49ers/article/...ms-9239723.php

Last edited by bodyforlife99; 09-22-2016 at 01:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2016, 12:57 PM

406 posts, read 288,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco View Post
Oh so glad to see this poll did not go the way I expected. One would have expected a fake chorus of overly PC voices crying out "Kaep is a solider of social justice and is putting the good of others above himself by his actions"

How reassuring to know many sports fans in SF have a sense of perspective and more importantly know this player well.

Colin Kaep is a player whose career is fading in SF. Once known for his athletic abilities, the speed at which he outrun defenders was quite impressive for a time. Until opposing teams saw there was very little else he could do as a QB. His read progression of receivers is one of the worst in the NFL. In effect if he can not pick out a receiver the first time , there is really no chance he can stand in the pocket, like a Brady or other top QBs, and review other passing options. The very thing that makes football intriguing to watch is where Kaep has failed and from all accounts is not getting any better in that dept.

Blaine Gabbert the starting QB in SF is nearly as athletic as Keap but truly outshines him in other areas , such as leadership, analytical ability, focus and just has more weapons at his disposal. Kaep in many ways finds himself as a veteran of several seasons now taking a back seat to a new and better QB. This must be a hard pill to swallow.

Getting back to the poll, most voted as myself did for the second option of "he is getting irrelevant and did this for attention". The problem with Kaep was he is just a naturally reserved almost insular personality. Even under Harbaugh, remember those pouty tightlipped press conferences where he would seem like he was being unfairly tortured by the most simple of qsts. Well it became obvious he has no real charisma or personality to speak of. Easy in this case to get pushed to the corner and ignored as he does not seem interested in developing a broad base of appeal.

Kaep all in all just does not seem very intelligent. A dour and dull persona who has the same way about him as a prisoner in one of those "Lockup" programs on the Discovery Channel. Similar blank look and slow almost childish manner of speaking of how everything is against him.

Now the niners will find it difficult to drop Kaep immediately. Predictably he will call foul if they do. There goes his 19m bucks per year. So expect a pathetic response of "ya can't express your views on human rights violations in this country and then they will fire you for it". What a public relations nightmare for SF now as even some diehard fans are deciding to sit this season out and maybe come back when things die down with the protest stuff. We all feel peeved. Football was one place we could escape the politics of everyday living. That is all gone now. The fun is over with. Even watching some games last week and it just does not seem the same anymore. Will we find more players hijacking situations for their own vanity. Are these players not getting paid well enough to not behave like thugs.

From this month forward, let us all keep track on Keap and see where his true intentions lie. The world is now watching Colin. Lets hear about what work you do outside of football for your "cause". What panel discussions will he be on to debate his stand on race issues. What work he will actually do in Black areas to address race issues.

We all want more of a hum and a haw and a canned response he got from looking at the BLM website. Though I am sure behind the scenes Kaep might be joking with his homies " no way in heck they touching my money, no way now "
Blah. More phony outrage and fake patriotism. So a player kneeling for two minutes before the game begins makes the actual football gameplay less interesting and less watchable?

How can you qualify Kaepernick as a proponent of social justice when your only concern has been to vilify him for expressing his views on human rights violations in this country.

Old 09-22-2016, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the happy guy View Post
Blah. More phony outrage and fake patriotism. So a player kneeling for two minutes before the game begins makes the actual football gameplay less interesting and less watchable?

How can you qualify Kaepernick as a proponent of social justice when your only concern has been to vilify him for expressing his views on human rights violations in this country.
Aren't you doing the same thing by vilifying his post with your comment on "fake patriotism"?

Pot meet Kettle. He has as much right to give his opinion as Kaepernick does in making his statement.

Old 09-22-2016, 01:24 PM

21,735 posts, read 16,346,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyforlife99 View Post
Aren't you doing the same thing by vilifying his post with your comment on "fake patriotism"?

Pot meet Kettle. He has as much right to give his opinion as Kaepernick does in making his statement.
Yep. And those of us who differ from scirroco's opinion have just as much business questioning his motivation as you and he do CK's.

Old 09-22-2016, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Yep. And those of us who differ from scirroco's opinion have just as much business questioning his motivation as you and he do CK's.
Although that was directed at the other poster, it's good to see that we are in agreement

Old 09-22-2016, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyforlife99 View Post
Although that was directed at the other poster, it's good to see that we are in agreement
Just in from Steve Kerr:
Quote:
“No matter what side of the spectrum you’re on, I would hope that every American is disgusted with what is going on around the country. And it just happened two days ago in Tulsa, with Terence Crutcher. It doesn’t matter what side you’re on with the Kaepernick stuff, you’d better be disgusted by the things that are happening.”
Steve Kerr 'disgusted' by police shootings, encouraging dialogue regarding team protests

What are you more concerned with:Kaepernick's career or the human rights violations?

Old 09-22-2016, 03:27 PM

2,007 posts, read 1,274,873 times
Quote:

CK could just have had the good grace and presence of mind to take his protest off the field of play. Maybe that is what it is , he feels injustice in the NFL and protests as he sees fit. Again as irresponsible as his style of play.

In any arena of sport, the smallest of gestures can and will be analyzed under the microview of public opinion. Even a two minute kneel is saying a whole lot.

Now the onus on CK, what else does he have to say for himself. I want to hear from him. Who knows he might have some invaluable insight for us all. If he all of sudden disappears and starts with the pouty and petulant hum and haw , then we all should have some issue.

Let's hear more from Keap. I would love to see him giving an in depth interview on political matters ...........off the field of play that is.

Old 09-22-2016, 08:08 PM

Quote:
CK could just have had the good grace and presence of mind to take his protest off the field of play. Maybe that is what it is , he feels injustice in the NFL and protests as he sees fit. Again as irresponsible as his style of play.
but why?

Old 09-22-2016, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Just in from Steve Kerr:

Steve Kerr 'disgusted' by police shootings, encouraging dialogue regarding team protests

What are you more concerned with:Kaepernick's career or the human rights violations?
Thanks for asking. Actually, had you read the original post, you'd know that this thread was in regards to Kaepernick's motivation for his protest and in particular, his timing for it since this issue has been in the news for quite some time now. There was already a thread started for you to vent your frustration with current events. Allow me to redirect you there...

Colin Kaepernick sits during national anthem to protest racial discrimination

Or should you want to talk about the current incident in the news, perhaps you should start your own thread instead of trying to take this one off topic. Thanks!

Old 09-23-2016, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Now the onus on CK, what else does he have to say for himself. I want to hear from him. Who knows he might have some invaluable insight for us all.

Let's hear more from Keap. I would love to see him giving an in depth interview on political matters ...........off the field of play that is.
With all due respect Scirocco, tell me you're not serious about this. Although my understanding is he had a respectable GPA at Reno (which is neither here nor there), I have seen Mr. Kaepernick speak before and it's not impressive in any way. I hardly think I need him giving his insights on anything, least of all this issue. He doesn't come across as being very articulate or intelligent. I suspect most of us would be better off coming to our own conclusions on this issue using our own intellect. Not to mention, many of us feel he has a credibility issue and lacks sincerity. In general, I couldn't care less what some entertainer thinks as there are few that are any more informed than the Average Joe on the street.

Last edited by bodyforlife99; 09-23-2016 at 08:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland