Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 07:06 PM

238 posts, read 302,393 times

Advertisements

jesus, people. if you don't have anything helpful or constructive, then try and refrain from posting. clearly this person is reaching out for info in an area he is not familiar with. cut him some slack.

OP - ignore the cranky people. but you will have to get more familiar with the area and exactly where things are. this region is big and people not familiar with it sometimes confuse SF proper with SV. try to narrow down the areas where the companies you are looking at are located. and then brace yourself for high rent and little inventory. your best bet is to score something on CL as a room share. it will take a lot of scouring and luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2016, 09:38 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
For someone who doesn't know the area, and wants to know where safe areas are, I think it's a good place to start - to know where someone who has lived in either SF area or Silicon Valley feels safe.

So, although not cheap, I have lived in Santa Clara for 10 years, and left just 3 years ago. I always felt safe there. The cops are great and actually show up quickly when you call them ( I was a resident apartment manager and sometimes had to call them). And if you look at the statistics, you will see there is very minimal crime and no murders.

So, you could start with that info, and perhaps try to find a place you can afford in that area - there is a private university in Santa Clara - Santa Clara University - and even perhaps find a room with students, to start.

SCU has an off campus housing website here:

https://www.scu.edu/osl/off-campus-l...ampus-housing/

And I already gave you the Craigslist link.

If you got a job at any of the techie companies in the San Jose region, Santa Clara would be a great location. And if you got a job in SF, even if the commute was longer than ideal, if you could take Caltrain to/from your job, you'd enjoy Caltrain. It's clean and a nice trip. There are a couple of stations in Santa Clara. I prefer the one by SCU.

Also, if you work for a company that has a bus to take you to work, like Google, Apple, Facebook, even if the trip is long, there is usually wi-fi, etc., on the bus.

You'll have to compromise most likely, but that's just reality. But, I can at least tell you that Santa Clara is safe and is a great location for commuting to any of the tech companies.

Good luck to you, OP.

Old 09-16-2016, 10:24 PM

6 posts, read 6,821 times
Whatever you do, do not go to Los Banos or anything east of Pacheco Pass. Although housing and renting is more affordable, you will find a huge sacrifice in basic amenities, high crime, poor schools, and in general a population 180 degrees from those that live in Silicon Valley.

Old 09-17-2016, 02:41 PM

958 posts, read 1,146,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
I'm just one person with no family. Just a room is good enough for me but I don't want to live with roommates. ...
Posters seem to be missing that sentence in ops post. And no more snow seems to be missing the "affordable" part by bringing up santa clara. Great, got it, santa clara is safe.

Here is what is available on Craigslist right now for rent in sc. Note: ALL of these are roommate situations.... cheapest is 900 which is likely a dump and has only 1bath.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/...max_price=1200

Old 09-17-2016, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comingbacktocali View Post
jesus, people. if you don't have anything helpful or constructive, then try and refrain from posting. clearly this person is reaching out for info in an area he is not familiar with. cut him some slack.

OP - ignore the cranky people. but you will have to get more familiar with the area and exactly where things are. this region is big and people not familiar with it sometimes confuse SF proper with SV. try to narrow down the areas where the companies you are looking at are located. and then brace yourself for high rent and little inventory. your best bet is to score something on CL as a room share. it will take a lot of scouring and luck.
Sometimes harsh reality is helpful. And op already ruled out a roommate, so how about YOU read the actual post before commenting?

I'll just say it: OP, you are priced out of what you want in the Bay. Period.

Old 09-17-2016, 11:41 PM

6 posts, read 6,821 times
Thank you Boulder2015. Well put. High demand, low supply, endless supply of tech genius/geeks that dont want to move, Stanford, Berkeley, and of course good weather, makes Silicon Valley a very expensive play.

Old 09-18-2016, 12:00 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
OP, you can get a room with private bath in someone's house for between $800 and $1100 in Fremont, which is an easy commute to San Jose, etc. If you found one that has its own entrance from the outside, you could pretend it's a studio. Take a look at Craigslist. You may as well do your own research in several communities in your area of interest, to see for yourself what rental rates are like.

Old 09-18-2016, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, you can get a room with private bath in someone's house for between $800 and $1100 in Fremont, which is an easy commute to San Jose, etc. If you found one that has its own entrance from the outside, you could pretend it's a studio. Take a look at Craigslist. You may as well do your own research in several communities in your area of interest, to see for yourself what rental rates are like.
Op made it clear: no roommates. Read the original post.

Old 09-18-2016, 12:00 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulder2015 View Post
Op made it clear: no roommates. Read the original post.
That's why I said he might find a unit he could use as a studio. Feel free to review my post if you didn't catch it the first time. It's also not clear what he means by "roommates": does he mean housemates, or actual room-sharing, which is not uncommon in Berkeley. But the overall point is that if he does his own research, he'll see pretty quickly that a house share is his/her only option, if safety is a criterion as well.

Old 09-18-2016, 03:10 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,812,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That's why I said he might find a unit he could use as a studio. Feel free to review my post if you didn't catch it the first time. It's also not clear what he means by "roommates": does he mean housemates, or actual room-sharing, which is not uncommon in Berkeley. But the overall point is that if he does his own research, he'll see pretty quickly that a house share is his/her only option, if safety is a criterion as well.
Yes OP is not really clear on that. He/she has made no mention of having a job lined up either. Given that, it might be a better option trying to rent a room in somebodies house. If he/she had a job offer, it would be easier for us to give recommendations, since we presumably would be told what city the job was in.
Job within a "one hour commute" probably fits the criteria a lot of individuals working in the tech industry in SF and Silicon Valley....
I have friend in the Bay Area, who works in Fremont. He has new boss that was hired around the begining of the year.....this boss commutes to Fremont from Visalia...he supposedly crashes on a relatives couch somewhere near Fremont during the work week. He has a wife and kids living in a house in Visalia. What he has in Visalia, is just not economically feasible in the Bay Area in regard to housing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland