Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2016, 02:30 AM

18,957 posts, read 32,414,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the happy guy View Post
uh oh, homes are selling for $1.1m in West Oakland. At that price, why choose to live there of all places.

http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...llar-mark.html

http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...llar-mark.html
Outisde the quick access to SF I don't quite get it either but I'm just as or more shocked at the crap for sale in the South Bay and Penninsula:

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Campbell/4...08/home/730525

$700+ per sq/ft for a boring post-WWII rancher with crappy schools in a lame, boring suburb?

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Cupertino/...14/home/765284
Almost $900 sq/ft to live in some ugly looking 70's style house in a mind numbingly boring suburb? You can buy a house in La Jolla with an ocean view and equally great schools for that price.

And East Palo Alto for the kicker; ghetto ugly post war suburb where they are listing homes for $850+ per sq ft:
https://www.redfin.com/CA/East-Palo-...3/home/1361180

Honestly how is this not not more ridiculous than anything for sale in Oakland?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2016, 04:04 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,364,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccabees View Post
LOL

The Worst part of the US is probably where you currently reside in. Since you couldn't afford to live in CA.

The Most Dangerous States In The U.S. - WorldAtlas.com

Top 10 Most Dangerous States (Mostly or all Red States) imagine that!

1) Alaska
2) Nevada
3) Tennessee
(I bet this is where you moved to) LOL! This state also made it on the most Dependant on Federal Aid and Most people on Food stamp list). Wow! Such an amazing backward state.

4) New Mexico
5) Florida
6) Louisiana
7) South Carolina
8) Delaware
9) Arkansas
10 ) Maryland
Pretty ignorant. All of those states have some very nice places in them. Ever been to Charleston, SC?

And Tennessee for instance . . . what if the person lives in Nashville? The economy is very hot there right now. What if they live in Franklin in Williamson County (just south of Nashville) and have a crime rate that's typical of a small town, yet there's a lot of wealth there since it's the richest county in Tennessee? Lots of entertainers in the county. Keith Urban and Nicole Kidman live there. Justin Timberlake recently decided to move there from CA.

Californians are often completely uninformed about other places. I read the blog of a Californian who relocated to Franklin, TN and she's enchanted by the place. Yet, she constantly gets questions from her old friends in California asking the stupidest questions. One even asked if they can watch the Oscars there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuIcKID47ow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhLKBEJ_L50

Old 09-19-2016, 08:09 AM

24,323 posts, read 26,697,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Pretty ignorant. All of those states have some very nice places in them. Ever been to Charleston, SC?

And Tennessee for instance . . . what if the person lives in Nashville? The economy is very hot there right now. What if they live in Franklin in Williamson County (just south of Nashville) and have a crime rate that's typical of a small town, yet there's a lot of wealth there since it's the richest county in Tennessee? Lots of entertainers in the county. Keith Urban and Nicole Kidman live there. Justin Timberlake recently decided to move there from CA.

Californians are often completely uninformed about other places. I read the blog of a Californian who relocated to Franklin, TN and she's enchanted by the place. Yet, she constantly gets questions from her old friends in California asking the stupidest questions. One even asked if they can watch the Oscars there.
It's a bit sad actually lol. There was one member on this thread who said, "I'm sure there is more crime and homeless people in Florida" and I told that to my friends on our way to dinner last night (they have family in San Francisco and Walnut Creek who they visit 2-4x per year) and they bursted out laughing saying, they are shocked someone actually believes that, they were like I've never seen more homeless people in my life than in San Francisco and Oakland, they are literally pretty much on every block.

Meanwhile, my lawnmower, bikes, kayaks are still in my driveway this morning, they aren't locked or anything. Anybody could just come by and pick them up if they wanted (and I don't live in a gated community or even an HOA community). It really is sad that people in such an educated part of the country can still be so uneducated, uninformed and frankly so ignorant to the rest of the country and world.

Old 09-19-2016, 08:49 AM

36,628 posts, read 67,140,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
It really is sad that people in such an educated part of the country can still be so uneducated, uninformed and frankly so ignorant to the rest of the country and world.
LMAO except people born out of the country or out of state are the majority of the Bay Area population and we have literally been EVERYWHERE.

Look, Im glad that you are happy in your retirement community in Orlando, was it? Ive been there 5 times-When I desire a slower pace I too might seek somewhere less hectic, but Im not interested.

To each his own.

Old 09-19-2016, 09:31 AM

24,323 posts, read 26,697,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
LMAO except people born out of the country or out of state are the majority of the Bay Area population and we have literally been EVERYWHERE.

Look, Im glad that you are happy in your retirement community in Orlando, was it? Ive been there 5 times-When I desire a slower pace I too might seek somewhere less hectic, but Im not interested.

To each his own.
The median age is roughly 5-6 years younger than San Francisco, just saying But thanks for a somewhat sincere gesture lol.

Just look at the responses on this thread, that's all I need to say regarding the arrogance/ignorance/elitism problem in the Bay Area.

Old 09-19-2016, 09:58 AM

36,628 posts, read 67,140,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
The median age is roughly 5-6 years younger than San Francisco, just saying But thanks for a somewhat sincere gesture lol.

Just look at the responses on this thread, that's all I need to say regarding the arrogance/ignorance/elitism problem in the Bay Area.
Yes and the responses in this thread imply an almost palpable envy/ bitterness from outsiders.

I understand though. I might be jealous too.

Old 09-19-2016, 10:28 AM

61 posts, read 37,245 times
People are just jealous of those living in the Bay Area and always have been. If they really wanted to live here they can do what I did. In 1959 I bought a ranch home on a 1/3 acre lot in half moon bay for 10,000 dollars while working at a restaurant. I think those of you complaining about the cost of living just have to save enough until you can afford a downpayment.

Old 09-19-2016, 11:57 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,006,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGotMine View Post
People are just jealous of those living in the Bay Area and always have been. If they really wanted to live here they can do what I did. In 1959 I bought a ranch home on a 1/3 acre lot in half moon bay for 10,000 dollars while working at a restaurant. I think those of you complaining about the cost of living just have to save enough until you can afford a downpayment.
You are clearly out of touch with reality. Unfortunately, I don't have the time right now to list the million reasons why.

If you're seriously going to try to compare the 1959 Bay Area real estate market to today's insanely out-of-control market, you're out of your mind.

My dad worked as a drug store manager when he and my mom bought their Milpitas house for $25,000 back in 1976 on a single income! Are you seriously that delusional to think that a drug store manager could buy a house on a single income in any sort of decent neighborhood in the Bay Area today?

You bought a $10,000 house in Half Moon Bay! Congratulations, you won the lotto! Lots of people from your generation bought houses cheaply and watched their values inflate exponentially. Guess what: the newer generations of Bay Area people, many of whom grew up here, can't afford these houses! We're forced to move out of the Bay Area.

People aren't jealous of the Bay Area. I was born and raised here and I'm still blown away but what people are willing to spend to live in mediocre neighborhoods. Your screen name says it all. You got yours, so screw everybody else, right?

As for the original post in this thread...there's nothing transitional or up and coming about that neighborhood. It's a horrible neighborhood. Period. People in the Bay Area have become so conditioned to accept that it's perfectly acceptable to spend close to a million dollars to live in a neighborhood like that. It's insanity.

Old 09-19-2016, 12:00 PM

61 posts, read 37,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
You are clearly out of touch with reality. Unfortunately, I don't have the time right now to list the million reasons why.

If you're seriously going to try to compare the 1959 Bay Area real estate market to today's insanely out-of-control market, you're out of your mind.

My dad worked as a drug store manager when he and my mom bought their Milpitas house for $25,000 back in 1976 on a single income! Are you seriously that delusional to think that a drug store manager could buy a house on a single income in any sort of decent neighborhood in the Bay Area today?

You bought a $10,000 house in Half Moon Bay! Congratulations, you won the lotto! Lots of people from your generation bought houses cheaply and watched their values inflate exponentially. Guess what: the newer generations of Bay Area people, many of whom grew up here, can't afford these houses! We're forced to move out of the Bay Area.

People aren't jealous of the Bay Area. I was born and raised here and I'm still blown away but what people are willing to spend to live in mediocre neighborhoods. Your screen name says it all. You got yours, so screw everybody else, right?

As for the original post in this thread...there's nothing transitional or up and coming about that neighborhood. It's a horrible neighborhood. Period. People in the Bay Area have become so conditioned to accept that it's perfectly acceptable and to spend close to a million dollars to live in a neighborhood like that. It's insanity.
Negative attitudes don't get you anywhere. By believing that you can't afford the Bay Area you have already condemned yourself. When I had an opportunity to buy a house in atherton for 75000 in 1970 I didn't say "you can't afford it!" I bought it and now I still own it. Success is a mindset first and foremost.

Old 09-19-2016, 12:40 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,006,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGotMine View Post
Negative attitudes don't get you anywhere. By believing that you can't afford the Bay Area you have already condemned yourself. When I had an opportunity to buy a house in atherton for 75000 in 1970 I didn't say "you can't afford it!" I bought it and now I still own it. Success is a mindset first and foremost.
There's a difference between being negative and being realistic and seeing the situation for what it is. If I really wanted to afford a house in the Bay Area, I'd make it happen. It would also mean that most likely I'd have to sacrifice in at least two of these areas:

-commuting distance to work

-school quality

-neighborhood quality

Many people in the Bay Area who earn a middle to upper middle class income are in the exact same situation. I'm not willing to spend the bulk of my money to live in mediocrity. That's the point I'm trying to make. Many people are willing to make a huge financial and quality of life sacrifice to live in a s***y house in a s***y neighborhood in the Bay Area just to feel like "they've arrived". It has nothing to do with jealously as you previously stated.

I grew up in the Bay Area and love many things about it. I have nothing to be jealous about since I already do live here! The Bay Area is a horrible value. Period.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I think you are completely out of touch with the reality of today's real estate market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland