U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 03:22 PM

9,273 posts, read 4,736,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by percentage_plyr View Post
Thanks for all he responses. I think our most important housing preferences would be:
1. Budget 800k to 1.1 M.
2. At least 4br.
3. Schools 9/10 or 10/10.
4. Area > 2200 sqft with some space in front and back.
You will find some in Pleasanton. I was looking at Dublin/Pleasanton recently. You should use Redfin.
Here is one example, slightly over 1.1 M, but I think it can be negotiated.
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Pleasanton...8/home/1537699

Last edited by NewbieHere; 10-08-2016 at 03:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2016, 04:49 PM

730 posts, read 498,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OK, you're talking about seismic retrofitting, and some damage after the big East Bay quake. Good to know. It depends on the neighborhood in the Berkeley hills, too; people who could afford to did the retrofitting back after that event.
Could be, but no it could just be general from the natural shifting over time. It's much more prevalent up here compared to SoCal. Much more slopy floors in many homes.

Old 10-08-2016, 08:34 PM

72,664 posts, read 64,140,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR95 View Post
Could be, but no it could just be general from the natural shifting over time. It's much more prevalent up here compared to SoCal. Much more slopy floors in many homes.
I never noticed that. It must be more prevalent closer to the Bay, in the flats, like where Albany is. That's very interesting. Thanks for posting.

Old 10-11-2016, 02:15 AM

56 posts, read 48,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
Have you ever been to Hayward???

If you live in the hills though, you still have to go down the hill for shopping, etc. and your kids still have to go to the crappy schools.
I live at the Stonebrae Country Club, top of the Hayward Hills.

TPC Stonebrae

Almost an unspoken secret -- Hayward Hills residents don't need to go down the hill for shopping.

We go to Castro Valley Hills (beautiful back road through FairView and Five Canyons), which has a nice little downtown with all the stores for errands.

Same back road, through the Dublin Canyon Road (parallel to 580), will lead to the Stoneridge Shopping Mall, Pleasanton.

Hayward Hills is home of the California State University, East Bay. There is a new Stonebrae Elementary School (K-6), and good private schools at Castro Valley.

I have been living in the Bay Area for fifty years. Hayward Hills is a hidden gem, with amazing view to the Bay Area (probably not for long, as more people find out.)

Regards,

Old 10-11-2016, 10:29 AM

675 posts, read 948,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJD View Post
I just moved out of East Bay but absolutely loved some parts of it.

If I could live anywhere in the East Bay, it would be Danville or Lafayette. Utopia towns. Lafayette has a BART station too.

If your husband has to work in San Francisco, id be all over living in Lafayette. Their downtown is great too.

Danville, Walnut Creek, Alamo, Lafayette would be my top picks since you have children. Just absolutely perfect towns.

I like Berkeley and Oakland, but I'd never live there with kids. It's so grungy. It's a place better suited for those without a family.

Lived in Walnut Creek for 7 years, loved every second of it. But I agree. the East Bay has some great cities. Really loved Lafayette, Danville, Alamo is awesome too. I lived 2 1/2 blocks from the WC BART and 3 blocks from downtown WC. It was just a perfect area for me.

Old 10-11-2016, 11:53 AM

901 posts, read 789,405 times
With income of 450k, and spending "only" 1.2m, you will be "underpaying" relative to your income for the Bay Area. (note the quotes, yes, it's all crazy.) In my opinion, you can pay 1.2 here and still save an adequate amount for retirement, college for 2 kids (well, maybe not save for private college...) , home repairs, health emergencies, rainy day, etc, even earning in the low 300k range - assuming you have the downpayment already.

Old 10-11-2016, 11:57 AM

213 posts, read 178,072 times
Everyone recommending Walnut Creek / Albany / Berkeley/Piedmont is stupid.

OP, live in Fremont. Unless your job is next to the Fremont BART (highly doubtful) you do NOT want to commute on the Hwy 680 Sunol grade everyday. It'll take at least an hour to get to Fremont from Pleasanton, 2 hours from Albany/Berkeley and 2.5 hours from Walnut Creek. That is NOT a commute you want.

You should look into Fremont (amazing school district). Alum Rock San Jose (decent neighborhood) or Newark (dumpy school district, but nothing private school can't fix. Union City is another option.

People recommending anything north of the Sunol Grade clearly have no clue what they're talking about.

Old 10-11-2016, 12:01 PM

72,664 posts, read 64,140,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maceart View Post

OP, live in Fremont. Unless your job is next to the Fremont BART (highly doubtful) you do NOT want to commute on the Hwy 680 Sunol grade everyday. It'll take at least an hour to get to Fremont from Pleasanton, 2 hours from Albany/Berkeley and 2.5 hours from Walnut Creek. That is NOT a commute you want.

You should look into Fremont (amazing school district). Alum Rock San Jose (decent neighborhood) or Newark (dumpy school district, but nothing private school can't fix. Union City is another option.

People recommending anything north of the Sunol Grade clearly have no clue what they're talking about.
You haven't read the OP's posts; that's the "stupid" part. They don't want to live in an Asian community, and the OP's work IS near Fremont BART.

It's an easy commute from any of the locales mentioned, by BART; far from the 2+ hours you cite. Fremont, Union City, Newark, all were suggested already, and turned down. Furthermore, the OP has said they want a bigger house than they could afford in the inner East Bay, so they're looking farther out.

Old 10-11-2016, 12:02 PM

15,404 posts, read 24,380,612 times
Pleasanton to Fremont is 45 minutes at its worst. And the OP is actually working next to BART.

Old 10-11-2016, 12:52 PM

730 posts, read 498,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maceart View Post

Your whole post is "stupid", Donald J. Trump.... It's just important to people where they live as it is to having a decent commute. And 1 hour is not that bad. You have no idea what you are talking about. Read the OP. Also, working next to Bart opens up many places to live. Jobs don't last forever. So 5-10 years down the road spending $1.2M in Fremont would be a smart investment when the job may end up being in SF, Daly City or San Mateo. Ok, you're brilliant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland