Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 05:02 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJD View Post
No offense but why don't you move next door to Nevada or Arizona where you can get a 1 bedroom apartment in a nice area for $750/month?

I make $100k and can't afford to live in the Bay Area so I moved back to Az where I can enjoy a normal life. Staying in California on little income is just stupid.
The dilemma is jobs. At the coast we have low unemployment, but, the costs are terrible.

Inland ... lower costs ... but ... jobs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2016, 07:05 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
The dilemma is jobs. At the coast we have low unemployment, but, the costs are terrible.

I imagine this OP could do as well or better than she's doing now job wise since she doesn't really have anything lined up after her current temp gigs.

I'm in the position of telling a young man I've known for 10 years to relocate. After his last roommate situation fell apart and it became clear that his current job doesn't pay enough for him to afford anything, his roommates or significant others have always subsidized him. He's been staying with me temporarily but I gave him a deadline. I have no idea what he will do but he has relatives in the area, a girlfriend, and a car to take him wherever he needs to go.

Old 10-14-2016, 07:09 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I imagine this OP could do as well or better than she's doing now job wise since she doesn't really have anything lined up after her current temp gigs.

I'm in the position of telling a young man I've known for 10 years to relocate. After his last roommate situation fell apart and it became clear that his current job doesn't pay enough for him to afford anything, his roommates or significant others have always subsidized him. He's been staying with me temporarily but I gave him a deadline. I have no idea what he will do but he has relatives in the area, a girlfriend, and a car to take him wherever he needs to go.
I don't disagree that she might be better off moving but how is she going to do that? She has $1600 and apparently doesn't even have furniture. How does she move, pay for a motel AND save up money for first and last months rent for an apartment? It's an awful situation to be in. I suggested earlier in this thread that her best option seems to be to stay in the Bay Area but take a job as a live in housekeeper /caretaker they usually offer free rent and a salary. By doing that for 4-6 months she could probably save up enough to move, rent an apartment and furnish it. I don't see very many other viable options.

Old 10-14-2016, 07:58 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,637,875 times
Rockinmom needs two plans -- a short term one to deal with the immediate crisis (no where to live in 2 weeks) and a long term one (moving to a place where she can get a permanent job and less expensive housing costs so she can get on her feet).

Perhaps we need to put aside suggestions of moving somewhere else and concentrate on helping her with the short term plan.

Short term, turn over every stone. Obviously, Craiglist ads, but also call the resources on the link I provided earlier, which are organizations that help families facing housing situations. For a stop gap measure, look into low cost hotels/motels, hostels, and perhaps even renting a room through Airbnb for a short period, just to buy yourself some more time to find a permanent place in San Francisco.

Part of the short term plan is also about jobs. How long do you expect your temp jobs to last? Is there a chance that one of them might turn into a permanent job? Are you actively looking for a permanent job in the Bay area? I know it is hard to do this while you are worried about the housing situation, but it might be part of the solution you need right now, so don't give up too easily.

Once you get a place to stay lined up, then it's time to think longer term. From reading your previous posts, my sense is that you are a very intelligent woman who cares deeply about her child. It is easy for all of us to second guess what you should do, but it must be nerve wracking for you right now, so I wish you only the best! Keep posting here -- we are happy to listen!

Old 10-17-2016, 09:57 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,984,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post

I'd agree for professionals who can get high paying fin/tech type jobs. Those jobs are hot in California, and the compensation will allow you live under a roof and maybe own a newer car. Texas is another hot destination, as well as Washington State.

But the OP is clearly not working in a high demand, high compensation profession. She would actually benefit from moving to Arizona over California, or to another lower cost state instead of considering living in a van in a parking lot for ****s sake.

Old 10-17-2016, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
I'd agree for professionals who can get high paying fin/tech type jobs. Those jobs are hot in California, and the compensation will allow you live under a roof and maybe own a newer car. Texas is another hot destination, as well as Washington State.
But the OP is clearly not working in a high demand, high compensation profession. She would actually benefit from moving to Arizona over California, or to another lower cost state instead of considering living in a van in a parking lot for ****s sake.
She has $1600 and no vehicle, can you explain how she is supposed to move to Arizona, find a place to live and support herself until she starts getting a paycheck? I don't think getting on a bus and landing in a place you know nothing about without enough money to pay first month and deposit on an apartment and have at least enough money to last 60 days would have a very good outcome, particularly in a state like Arizona which is notoriously stingy with welfare.

Rosie SD and I both suggested she get a live-in gig in exchange for free rent, work another job while she is doing that and save like crazy. Then when she has enough money she can consider relocating either to a cheaper part of the state or moving out of state.

Old 10-17-2016, 10:32 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,254,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I I suggested earlier in this thread that her best option seems to be to stay in the Bay Area but take a job as a live in housekeeper /caretaker they usually offer free rent and a salary.
How plausible is it that this that this scenario would allow both her and her 15 year old son to live there?

Old 10-17-2016, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
How plausible is it that this that this scenario would allow both her and her 15 year old son to live there?
I know it's possible because I have known women who have found live-in jobs that will accept a child, but I can't tell you how common it is. The only way the OP will find out is if she contacts people advertising for live-in help and I think it's worth a shot

Old 10-17-2016, 10:46 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,254,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I know it's possible because I have known women who have found live-in jobs that will accept a child, but I can't tell you how common it is. The only way the OP will find out is if she contacts people advertising for live-in help and I think it's worth a shot
I just searched under "gigs" in CL-SF and ran across this add.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/lbg/5831730876.html

They have a spare room and bathroom but state that the spare rooms and full bathroom are shut off and that the person must be over 18. Could this turn into a possibility for the OP?

Old 10-17-2016, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
I just searched under "gigs" in CL-SF and ran across this add.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/lbg/5831730876.html

They have a spare room and bathroom but state that the spare rooms and full bathroom are shut off and that the person must be over 18. Could this turn into a possibility for the OP?
That could work, and if you search for "live in" you get a large number of other possibilities: SF bay area jobs "live in" - craigslist

I know it's possible because I have done volunteer work with women w/ children and they have found live in jobs, it's been one of the few avenues I've found for a mom to break out of welfare and start becoming financially independent. The mom has to be prepared to talk the employer into letting their child live in the house by presenting the kid as being quiet and respectful. If possible the applicant should at least get a CPR and first aid card and if they want to make the max amount of $ they should sign up with California IHSS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland