Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 11:07 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
So, you want a lively city with nice weather and nice people, but not as expensive and elitist as San Francisco? Not really sure if that exists, to be honest. That is what I'd call utopia.
Well, the OP actually can afford the Bay Area. The problem is that her square footage requirement, plus her need for a pet-friendly place limit her options. But she's starting with a better budget than some of our posters in the past who ask for help finding an affordable place.

The other problem is that she wants a big dating pool, and is afraid she wouldn't have that if she goes to the north Bay, where rents are lower and there are pet-friendly units. I think dating is a crap shoot anyway; she hasn't found anyone living in a high-density city all these years. For all she knows, her ideal person may be in Marin. Oh well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2016, 10:49 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,662,848 times
The OP mentioned that she would be checking out Sacramento, which could be a good option. She could find a nice place in the Sacramento area for her budget.

Old 10-30-2016, 08:29 AM

4,321 posts, read 6,282,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacreole View Post
The OP mentioned that she would be checking out Sacramento, which could be a good option. She could find a nice place in the Sacramento area for her budget.
Definitely in her budget. But, she was also complaining about Denver and San Diego not being lively enough for her. Using that criteria, Sacramento wouldn't be either. Perhaps she's eased her standards in that area since her original post?

Old 11-02-2016, 07:18 PM

75 posts, read 257,707 times
Walnut Creek has open space for hiking, paved off-street bike paths, and, of course, the magnificent Mount Diablo for more strenuous hikes. Although I only made a cursory check, there do seem to be decent places to rent in your price range. There are two BART stations, a plethora of shopping and dining choices, and good schools. I have included some links below.

City of Walnut Creek : Open Space

Mount Diablo SP

Contra Costa Canal Trail

Iron Horse Regional Trail

Old 11-02-2016, 08:08 PM

500 posts, read 841,327 times
Where is the OP? She might have visited Sacto and is now needs time to recover....

Old 11-02-2016, 08:14 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinCali View Post
Finally the broader San Jose area will also have affordable apartments. And as someone pointed out, San Jose is called Man Jose for a reason.
Eh, San Jose is not affordable. Rents have skyrocketed here, too.

Old 11-02-2016, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinCali View Post
Laughable comment. Americans are so spoiled and clueless about how the rest of the world lives. yeah, you are going to go to a third world country and spend your AMERICAN money there and live like a king. But the people there are still struggling and have zero safety net, live in crappy houses and eke out a living in difficult conditions.

Here, you complain about how the house you OWN is not in a happening area and how your nice, safe apartment is not as nice as you would like.

Clueless and laughable sentiment. 90% of people in third world countries would trade their "amazing lives" for your "difficult life of struggle, homeownership and working remotely".
You make a valid point, but believe it or not, a fair number of Americans with savings find some places in Latin America work for them (Costa Rica & Educador come up a lot). These places have their unique downsides that don't exist in the U.S. but one big plus is you can pay cash out of pocket for decent health care in those countries and it often still comes out cheaper than if you have insurance in the U.S. Granted, these places wouldn't be a good fit for the OP, but they are for a lot of people who have semi-substantial retirement savings that they want to stretch and/or have small businesses they can operate remotely.

Old 11-02-2016, 10:17 PM

When I came from a supposed 3rd world country 20 years ago....I had seen real slums for the first time, here in the US. That was the first time I had to live knowing I can't get medical care without getting dozens of thousands of dollars in bills. That was a new thing to experience. Crazy junkies in any place too and most people don't own any housing. That's when I saw what the real 3rd world is like.
3rd world country is where some people are very rich and others are very poor. US is no different from the rest.
US makes it to top one third, by suicide rate, enough said.

Last edited by xani; 11-02-2016 at 10:28 PM..

Old 11-02-2016, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xani View Post
When I came from a supposed 3rd world country 20 years ago....I had seen real slums for the first time, here in the US. That was the first time I had to live knowing I can't get medical care without getting dozens of thousands of dollars in bills. That was a new thing to experience. Crazy junkies in any place too and most people don't own any housing. That's when I saw what the real 3rd world is like.
3rd world country is where some people are very rich and others are very poor. US is no different from the rest.
US makes top third, by suicide rate, enough said.
I don't necessarily disagree although based on my experience, the poor people in the U.S. don't work whereas there are lots of poor people in 3rd world countries who work full time but are still poor. The core problem in the U.S. with poverty is lack of family and community values. In 3rd world countries, that can be a factor, but less often.

Old 11-02-2016, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I don't necessarily disagree although based on my experience, the poor people in the U.S. don't work whereas there are lots of poor people in 3rd world countries who work full time but are still poor. The core problem in the U.S. with poverty is lack of family and community values. In 3rd world countries, that can be a factor, but less often.
There're plenty of poor people in the US, who work 2 or 3 jobs, to make the ends meet. People living on minimum wage....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland